Prospect Info: Albin Grewe selected by Saginaw in Import Draft

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
You and me both, brother. Guy is going to be a gamer. He's my prospect hype train. Maybe I've got the dummy eyes, but watching him, he punches way above his draft position. Add that sandpaper and you got yourself a stew.

I'm on the hype train too, I plan on coming up to Saginaw to watch him play. He caught my eye during the prospect game last year, he was very scrappy and getting in peoples faces and it was to fun.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'm on the hype train too, I plan on coming up to Saginaw to watch him play. He caught my eye during the prospect game last year, he was very scrappy and getting in peoples faces and it was to fun.

I'm lloking forward to seeing the T-rex maulings in Saginaw as well. This news made my day!

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Ive heard a few people call him T-rex, why is he called that? lol

As Columbus Blue Jackets prospect Jonathan Davidsson went down with a concussion, Grewe got the chance to play the wing on a young line with Marcus Davidsson (Buffalo Sabres) and Emil Bemström (Columbus Blue Jackets). He didn’t put up any points during his brief stint as Davidsson’s stand-in, but his play warranted some high and rather unconventional praise from Djurgården head coach Robert Ohlsson.
“Albin Grewe is the kind of player we haven’t had here for a while”, said Ohlsson. “With his approach, he’s going to be a physical force and a pain in the ass in this league. He sees himself as being in the top of the food chain. He’s a T-Rex, eats everything and has the approach the everything is beneath him.”
Grewe himself was taken aback by the comments from his head coach. It’s obviously not too common for a teenager to be referred to as a dinosaur, but being a Dinosaur Jr is something he could live with.
“I’ve never heard that before, but it’s a compliment that he thinks I’m a T-Rex”, said Grewe. “To me, it’s important that you play your own game no matter where you play. It shouldn’t be different whether I play with men here or on the junior team. You just play and don’t think too much about it. That’s when you become T-Rex.”

Albin Grewe – the “T-Rex” who is “a pain in the ass”

:laugh: - "That's when you become T-Rex."

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Grewe is 6'0 and Bertuzzi 6'1...?

Palat - Johnson - Kucherov from Tampa Bay ?
5'11 - 5'8 - 5´11

Add Yanni Gourde 5'9 and Brayden Point 5'10 in the list and do your mix they use regularily.

DeBrincat - Toews - Kane ?
5'7 - 6'2 - 5'10

Panarin - Foligno - Atkinson (from Columbus 2019)
5'11 - 6'0 - 5'8

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher (current MTL 1st line)
5'10 - 6'1 - 5'9
WHere do you see Grewe and Bertuzzi listed at those heights? Every source has them an inch shorter plus Rossi at 5'9", with half the skills of any of the lines you listed.

An agitator line isn't supposed to be under league average height, that's not how it works.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
WHere do you see Grewe and Bertuzzi listed at those heights? Every source has them an inch shorter plus Rossi at 5'9", with half the skills of any of the lines you listed.

An agitator line isn't supposed to be under league average height, that's not how it works.
Elite prospects has Grewe at 6’0

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
So what is the expectation of Grewe in the OHL?

Playing with Perfetti and Suzuki? He should be well over a point per game after already playing against pro men. Maybe a small adjustment period where hes slow out of the gate getting used to the ice but his last 50 games or so I would expect at least 60 points if hes goingt o be anything more than a 4th liner

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Agitator line? Marchand is 5'9". Kocur is only 6". Domi is 5'10"

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Looks to be an entire foot shorter than Elmer (of course he's 6'7" so...)

Edit: Kuffner is listed at 6'1", appears to have more than an inch on him

This Swede on Swede crime makes me sick... :D

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Should help him out. I'd of liked to seen him play another year in Europe cause of everything that's going on here with COVID.

His style, he should be really physical in the OHL and semi standout on his team. I was hoping he'd stay an play against bigger faster more physical men.

Should be a good confidence boost for him. He's got to get a little more offensively talented or start/be willing to get trash goals and abuse in-front of the net. Right now he reminds me of Adam Erne.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If he is only going to receive small amounts of ice time in the SHL this is absolutely the right move. He needs to be playing as much as possible and his game is clearly better suited for the small ice of NA. I will acknowledge, however, that the professional environment does have some benefit for someone with the "judgment" issues he has.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
With expectations in consideration,
What kind of season does Albin Grewe need to have? Points, goals, assists and even Pims.

I believe for this next season to be a success, maybe something like 70 points, 33 goals and 37 assists with 98 pims.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
What kind of season does Albin Grewe need to have? Points, goals, assists and even Pims.

I believe for this next season to be a success, maybe something like 70 points, 33 goals and 37 assists with 98 pims.
I wonder if the OHL will even run in 20-21. If they do how many games?

Recall reading a few months back that OHL relies heavily on attendance for revenue and may not be able to operate with lock down restrictions.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
I wonder if the OHL will even run in 20-21. If they do how many games?

Recall reading a few months back that OHL relies heavily on attendance for revenue and may not be able to operate with lock down restrictions.
I know that but I am saying IF they playing, what to you, would be considered a successful season for him.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Picking an arbitrary point total as the expectation or measure of progress for a guy like Grewe seem like you'd be setting yourself for unreasonable expectations in the future. He's going to put up points playing with first rounders against junior competition.

I want to see if he can properly grow into the agitator role he's supposed to play and those qualities don't really get measured. Like instead of just PIM, how many times does he take a quality opponent of the ice with him vs just taking a penalty himself and giving the other team a power play.

The growth of Grewe this season isn't going to be on the stat sheet no matter how good or bad the point total ends up being.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Once he gets the puck, Grewe controls it well down below the hash marks. He cycles the puck well, using his body and good stickhandling to protect it. He moves the puck to an open man and gets open for the give and go. Grewe extends possession, waiting for teammates to get open. He has the vision to find them when they do, as well as the ability to pass the puck through tight areas and create a scoring chance.

Albin Grewe Scouting Report: 2019 NHL Draft #49 - Last Word on Hockey

A guy like him could get a lot of his points by just being tough on the puck, winning battles, finding teammates and then getting in the opposing goalie's face. Especially in a smaller rink.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

He needs learn to play hockey, not just running around hitting other players,

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Agitator line? Marchand is 5'9". Kocur is only 6". Domi is 5'10"
Marchand isn't an agitator, he's a skill guy that plays dirty. Joey Kocur was also 225 lbs which puts him in the heavyweight class even though he was shorter than most of them.

There have been short agitators like Tootoo and Asham, but both had fighting skills. I doubt that's where Grewe fits in. Punching a lanky junior Swede is one thing, it's another to take on a 6'4" NHL defenseman or winger like Tom Wilson or Simmonds. He would get demolished.

The NHL is more and more a skill game now, the team really doesn't need a whole bunch of guys that goes around hitting and can't score. Physicality only excites me when the guy also has some skills to back it up, Ovy being my favorite, but it's also unfair to compare anybody against elite talent like that. Even Wilson and Simmonds can score.

Back to the subject, if Grewe makes the team and there's going to be a grind line, it'll probably look more like Grewe-Ehn (Pearson?)-Smith, with absolutely no goal production. Not terribly exciting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad