Prospect Info: Albin Grewe selected by Saginaw in Import Draft

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Still wondering how Jim Nill/Joe McDonnell missed Larkin as Dallas GM/scouting director.

And took Julius Honka 1 pick before. :shakehead

A lot of people loved Honka.
Wasn't his younger brother in last year's draft?
Nill's had some head-scratching drafts since leaving Detroit.

Nichuskin at 10 - started well, but went sideways and is gone. Could have had Domi, Morrisey, Mantha, Zadorov, Theodore, etc.

Honka at 14. Back in Finland after 3 incomplete seasons with Dallas. Could have had Larkin, Duch, DeAngelo, Schmaltz, Pastrnak, etc

Guiranov at 12-Did manage 20 goals in 64 games. But still has questions. Barzal and Connor are two guys take after him.

Tufte at 25. Went pro last year and managed 15 points in 50 plus games. It's a late first, but he's clearly behind Tage Thompson, Brett Howden, Sam Steel and others, like Alex Debrincat.

Heiskanen at 3. Yeah, some will say Makar was a better pick at 4, but it's hard to criticize Heiskanen at 3. They also took Jake Oettinger at 26 and so far, he looks pretty good in goal.

Dellandrea at 13. Hard to say. But this was a surprise pick. Not many lists I saw had Dellandrea that high - especially with Veleno on the board.

Harley at 18. Can't complain about this pick. Seemed like good value at 18 and showed important D+1 improvement.

The other issue is, where's the secondary help? The late round homeruns?

Roope Hintz is the only guy beyond round 2 who's contributed a thing.

The Wings, since 2013, have had the following second and lower picks contribute.
Bertuzzi.
Janmark(traded)
Hronek.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Wasn't his younger brother in last year's draft?
Nill's had some head-scratching drafts since leaving Detroit.

Nichuskin at 10 - started well, but went sideways and is gone. Could have had Domi, Morrisey, Mantha, Zadorov, Theodore, etc.

Honka at 14. Back in Finland after 3 incomplete seasons with Dallas. Could have had Larkin, Duch, DeAngelo, Schmaltz, Pastrnak, etc

Guiranov at 12-Did manage 20 goals in 64 games. But still has questions. Barzal and Connor are two guys take after him.

Tufte at 25. Went pro last year and managed 15 points in 50 plus games. It's a late first, but he's clearly behind Tage Thompson, Brett Howden, Sam Steel and others, like Alex Debrincat.

Heiskanen at 3. Yeah, some will say Makar was a better pick at 4, but it's hard to criticize Heiskanen at 3. They also took Jake Oettinger at 26 and so far, he looks pretty good in goal.

Dellandrea at 13. Hard to say. But this was a surprise pick. Not many lists I saw had Dellandrea that high - especially with Veleno on the board.

Harley at 18. Can't complain about this pick. Seemed like good value at 18 and showed important D+1 improvement.

The other issue is, where's the secondary help? The late round homeruns?

Roope Hintz is the only guy beyond round 2 who's contributed a thing.

The Wings, since 2013, have had the following second and lower picks contribute.
Bertuzzi.
Janmark(traded)
Hronek.

I honestly thought Veleno would be drafted higher than where he was, and that it would end up being Dellandrea being drafted by the Wings. I'm happy with how it ended up for us.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Myself included. While I was totally on board with the Larkin pick, if you pressed me back then, I would have said it was a real shame Nill snatched Honka from us.

This brings me back to my thesis that defenders, not goalies, are the hardest to project.

It's also total armchair whiffs like that which remind me to be patient with whoever we pick. Guys I love will fail. Guys I hate will thrive. Such is the way of projecting 17-year-old boys careers.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Myself included. While I was totally on board with the Larkin pick, if you pressed me back then, I would have said it was a real shame Nill snatched Honka from us.

This brings me back to my thesis that defenders, not goalies, are the hardest to project.

It's also total armchair whiffs like that which remind me to be patient with whoever we pick. Guys I love will fail. Guys I hate will thrive. Such is the way of projecting 17-year-old boys careers.

A lot of defenders are hard to predict.
But i think the NHL is getting better about it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It has been devastating to see how stupid and careless player Julius Honka is. Still can't play defence as 24-year old and handle a man in the corner. And his IQ is also weak, very one-dimensional defenceman. Throws the puck from the point and skates well. That's it. Great skater and can't deliver the puck.

Maybe they thougth at Dallas he would develop those attributes, and it hasn't happened ever. It was sad to see him with his flaws still at Liiga.

That younger brother in much smarter, but smaller of the two smalls.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Sandpaper?

WTF kinda stew do you make?:)

7TavjSiJKFsNizfI_Sj_DpP_LfYj_zHAO9QftrELPvmPoqPuEafGxYCrP4yYczIDltak4raf7dYpl3mFWAKPYwhaFtLNTpklkPYSkb0N9Rq9VlE6kqgLqffia1Bkd5pNAiPpMUiEV4m8_0IlRXCjhj5tOOqRenljxgT5xA

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Would you agree to this statement?:

Future NHL defenseman are easier to find, but to what degree they have success is more difficult to project.

Future NHL goalies are harder to find, but when you do find them, they are easier to project at different levels between a fringe NHLers, middle of the pack, and elite talents.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Would you agree to this statement?:

Future NHL defenseman are easier to find, but to what degree they have success is more difficult to project.

Future NHL goalies are harder to find, but when you do find them, they are easier to project at different levels between a fringe NHLers, middle of the pack, and elite talents.

I think that holds true these days, yeah. The goalies you see drafted in the 1st round are always way ahead of their peers so they are far more likely to pan out as a starter. In that respect, the odds are 2-pad stacked in favor of the goalie numbers. You're going to have many defenders drafted early, so some are bound to flame out. Against 1 or 2 goalies who were clearly the best of their respective class.

Like any position there are late risers, but you're mostly seeing those guys come out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds, not undrafted like the old days. The next great group of young goalies are almost exclusively early round draft picks. Teams are dialing that in much better.

A guy like Filip Larsson, a 6th rounder, was always a stretch to be our starter. Hopefully he rebounds, but damn I wish he showed more last year.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Very exciting! Probably a drop in competition, but his style definitely plays over here better than in Europe, so fascinated to see how he does

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Have we seen prior cases of a player at Albin's age leaving the SHL for the CHL?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Have we seen prior cases of a player at Albin's age leaving the SHL for the CHL?

Maybe those are rare happenings, but he is only 19-year old.

He was in a 6-minute 4th line role at Djurgården at Men's level, and maybe that promised ice-time wasn't growing much for becoming season, because he is so young. Bottom6 role anyways.

At Saginaw he will proably be put to 1st line, like it was year before at juniors playing 19 minutes per game, and as a best producer at Swedish U20 Superelit.

He could go to Griffins, but AHL season is still a question mark, and his role would probably be the same as at Djurgården, only Bottom6.

His highest potential could be the Bertuzzi-styled compeitive Top6 grinding/Agitating skill forward, and maybe they like to find it out at Saginaw. In a big role.

Perfetti - Suzuki - Crewe

Crewe as the next demolition man with 2 Elite players.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Maybe those are rare happenings, but he is only 19-year old.

He was in a 6-minute 4th line role at Djurgården at Men's level, and maybe that promised ice-time wasn't growing much for becoming season, because he is so young. Bottom6 role anyways.

At Saginaw he will proably be put to 1st line, like it was year before at juniors playing 19 minutes per game, and as a best producer at Swedish U20 Superelit.

He could go to Griffins, but AHL season is still a question mark, and his role would probably be the same as at Djurgården, only Bottom6.

His highest potential could be the Bertuzzi-styled compeitive Top6 grinding/Agitating skill forward, and maybe they like to find it out at Saginaw. In a big role.

Perfetti - Suzuki - Crewe

Crewe as the next demolition man with 2 Elite players.

No I totally understand. I wasn't trying to come off as "He's taking a step down and this is bad for his career."

It makes sense from the outside why he'd want to do this and he seems genuinely excited about it. I just wasn't sure if we had much of a historical precedence for this kind of move.

If he's among the first to do so and he makes it to the NHL then that's great too. It's good for players to have as wide of an array of options as possible.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Seems to happen with Russians buried in the KHL a decent amount. Kucherov crossed the pond to play in the CHL at 19, I believe.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Seems to happen with Russians buried in the KHL a decent amount. Kucherov crossed the pond to play in the CHL at 19, I believe.

Yeah, it's with those guys who could have some TOP6 potential, but aren't getting that at Men's level, but have outplayed their National junior levels. It's still juniors, but a bit more competitive juniors, and least a new environment in a smaller rink (you have to adjust at some point).

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009

Touche. Nice reference (albeit, way different type of player).

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Ok, so how is his last name actually said? I’ve heard two different versions.

1) Grey-vuh
2) Grew

Either of these correct? Neither?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sure if they play against midgets. That would actually be one of the shortest lines in the league, if not the shortest.

Grewe is 6'0 and Bertuzzi 6'1...?

Palat - Johnson - Kucherov from Tampa Bay ?
5'11 - 5'8 - 5´11

Add Yanni Gourde 5'9 and Brayden Point 5'10 in the list and do your mix they use regularily.

DeBrincat - Toews - Kane ?
5'7 - 6'2 - 5'10

Panarin - Foligno - Atkinson (from Columbus 2019)
5'11 - 6'0 - 5'8

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher (current MTL 1st line)
5'10 - 6'1 - 5'9

Last edited:

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Grewe is 6'0 and Bertuzzi 6'1...?

Palat - Johnson - Kucherov from Tampa Bay ?
5'11 - 5'8 - 5´11

Add Yanni Gourde 5'9 and Brayden Point 5'10 in the list and do your mix they use regularily.

DeBrincat - Toews - Kane ?
5'7 - 6'2 - 5'10

Panarin - Foligno - Atkinson (from Columbus 2019)
5'11 - 6'0 - 5'8

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher (current MTL 1st line)
5'10 - 6'1 - 5'9
Ouch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad