WWE: Alberto Del Rio officially released

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
He had his opt-out after one year and used it, so technically it is good terms as he wasn't fired and didn't quit.

But I demand a replacement for Smackdown in the form of Joe!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Seems rather simple to me, Joe loses to Nakamura in Toronto, shows up soon after. Maybe puts over Roode in the process. Same thing likely happens to Nakamura who IMO should be debuting at the Royal Rumble. After that, Roode should hold on to the belt for a long time, I don't want to see that getting passed around.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
He had a press conference in Mexico talking about his release, notes from F4W:

-Paige was reportedly there but didn't sit down at the table or give any interviews.

-Del Rio said that he didn't feel comfortable in WWE anymore and thought about leaving for a couple of months. He wasn't happy with his second stint with the company and was losing his passion for wrestling in WWE. He felt that he'd done everything in WWE and had nothing left to prove.

-Del Rio asked to be released from his contract and came to a mutual agreement with the company.

-WWE's traditional 90 day no-compete clause doesn't apply to Del Rio. He's free to work in Mexico now and will be able to work in the US soon.

-Del Rio said that he's in negotiation with AAA, CMLL, and Elite, but doesn't want to be exclusive to any promotion. In a point of confusion, he later said that Elite hasn't contacted him. He only wants to work 60 matches a year and has already started to think about retirement. He wants to retire in two years and said he's in talks to become president of an MMA promotion

-Del Rio would like to return to Arena Mexico.

-The banner at the press conference identified Del Rio as Alberto El Patron. He will once again be wrestling under that name.

-Del Rio is in negotiations for a commentating job somewhere, but didn't specify if it was in pro wrestling or MMA.

-Del Rio didn't mention either his or Paige's wellness policy suspensions.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Good riddance. You could tell he was clearly mailing it in for the paycheck within like 2 months of him returning.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He had a press conference in Mexico talking about his release, notes from F4W:

-Paige was reportedly there but didn't sit down at the table or give any interviews.

-Del Rio said that he didn't feel comfortable in WWE anymore and thought about leaving for a couple of months. He wasn't happy with his second stint with the company and was losing his passion for wrestling in WWE. He felt that he'd done everything in WWE and had nothing left to prove.

-Del Rio asked to be released from his contract and came to a mutual agreement with the company.

-WWE's traditional 90 day no-compete clause doesn't apply to Del Rio. He's free to work in Mexico now and will be able to work in the US soon.

-Del Rio said that he's in negotiation with AAA, CMLL, and Elite, but doesn't want to be exclusive to any promotion. In a point of confusion, he later said that Elite hasn't contacted him. He only wants to work 60 matches a year and has already started to think about retirement. He wants to retire in two years and said he's in talks to become president of an MMA promotion

-Del Rio would like to return to Arena Mexico.

-The banner at the press conference identified Del Rio as Alberto El Patron. He will once again be wrestling under that name.

-Del Rio is in negotiations for a commentating job somewhere, but didn't specify if it was in pro wrestling or MMA.

-Del Rio didn't mention either his or Paige's wellness policy suspensions.

Sounds like he doesn't have the passion for wrestling anymore, and you could tell based on his past few months. He accomplished a lot in his run and retiring while you are still healthy and not completely broken down is fine by me. Let him work a soft schedule like he wants and do about 60 matchs (1 a week) and then ride off into the sunset.

BTW I never liked Del Rio personally so nothing lost for the WWE to me he was a failure in both his runs.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Or it could be the fact the WWE style just doesn't jive with him. Outside of a select few guys, they stifle the hell out of creativity both in and outside of the ring. Alberto is a pretty damn good wrestler, but it sure as **** doesn't show watching him there.

He seemed a lot more into it during his various appearances in ROH and Lucha Underground. Maybe he actually thought "hey maybe this time it'll be a good run" despite the fact he got fired for something totally bogus the first time. (I actually have to say i enjoyed El Patron over WWE Alberto)

RIP in peace Spoilerman. You shall be welcomed back in Mexico

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Good riddance. You could tell he was clearly mailing it in for the paycheck within like 2 months of him returning.

Well when you're written like an absolute moron, yeah, you're making sure you're around to cash your paychecks and get out.

Kalisto is becoming the future endeavor-ator. Everyone who works with him is on the way out.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Alberto Del Rio said:
The main objective of this press conference is to notify Mexico - the place where I was born, where my career started and where it's going to end – that I was tired of the work pace.

I wasn't comfortable anymore, I felt that they weren't doing stuff with me and I decided to move. I understand that they weren't going to give me more exposure; I understard their motives and we reached an agreement. The negotiation was so good that McMahon didn't apply the 90 day clause. I've come here completely free.

I have many projects: I want to be sports announcer in the US and also I'm starting a new facet as entrepeneur here in Mexico.

It's important for me to be here and clear up the Internet rumours. I'm thankful with every directive, specially Vince. My economy is excellent and I want to enjoy mi family.

I've won everything in WWE. My father said to me: do you want to live your entire life under the spotlight, like your uncle, Mil Máscaras? Or do you want to enjoy your life?

Tomorrow I'll have meetings with mexican owners (promoters), I don't want to be exclusive. I'll talk to all of them: Dorian Roldán (AAA), Paco Alonso (CMLL), with Liga Elite. If they want to have Alberto, I'll work only dates. I've learned from my mistakes and I won't be a exclusive talent.

I don't want to keep taking bumps too much, so I'll work in a few amount of shows.

The main reason of my decision was seeing my kid hiding my bags to stop me from traveling. I want to enjoy my family and also, I wasn't comfortable with my second tenure with WWE.

I spoke with my father, who's the one that always give me great advice and that same day I decided to talk with the board of directors.

I don't regret my second tenure with the company. They gave me everything I asked for, and my decision wasn't set because of the lack of championships: that's irrelevant in this stage of my career. I left the company because I couldn't keep up with their work rhythm. Making an assessment of my second tenure, I'd say it's a 50/50.

Talking with Vince about why I was leaving, he told me that with the brand extension, Alberto del Rio would be who he was before.

I love this sport, it's been my dream since the day I opened my eyes, but I'm losing the passion. Every time I took a plane I felt angry, and I don't want to be a sour wrestler... that's what I said to Vince: I don't want to lose my passion for pro wrestling.

We had such a good understanding that I told him: 'Don't rule out a call from me someday'.

Everybody knows my fees and what I need to work. I'm a guarantee and I'm here to be hired. I have two years left as a wrestler before I retire. I'm not doing more than 60 dates around the world. I won't give more.

I'll definetely like to come back to Arena Mexico but at the end of the day I'll go with whoever has money to pay me.

Alberto started negotiations with an MMA company (probably Combate Americas) to be part of the board of directors and also to be an announcer.

“I' probably won't use the mask again, I respect tradition. Someday I might use it to go out to the ring, but I wont be a masked performer again'

I don't care who I face. Many want to face me, but only Rey Mysterio can be compared to me.

Whoever wants to work with me knows I'm a guarantee for spectacle. Vince said it: I've been the best heel in the last few years.

Everything I am is because of WWE, but unfortunately that has a high price: your life. I was in the top, I won everyting and I couldn't get any higher.

I'm happy about my father returning to Arena Mexico, but I won't be there. I won't have problems with any company.

My last two years will be in Mexico and San Luis Potosí with mi dad, brother and with Mil Máscaras.

Undoubtedly, AAA is the company, that in my judgment, is doing the best stuff thanks to it's relationship with TV. They are farther ahead. Arena Mexico is down in marketing and in many things. I don't know about Liga Élite. I'm going to talk with my brother who works with them.
Good guy Del Rio.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Whoever wants to work with me knows I'm a guarantee for spectacle. Vince said it: I've been the best heel in the last few years.

Uhhh....do one of you want to tell him or should I?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00