Alberta Minor Hockey Talk Thread

Cdnmom

Sep 21, 2013
Bantam AA vs. AAA in draft selection

my sons in his 2nd yr bantam and got cut from the AAA team. It was not only shocking to us, but also to the other players, his previous coach and other coaching staff that have never coached him before as he was easily one of the top 4 D-men during tryouts. As he was obviously shaken at getting cut, he said no at the time to going in the city draft to tryout for another club and we also didn't know if that was wise anyhow to go play on a weak AAA team, so he's now playing AA for his 2nd year. I'm wondering now though, did we make the wrong choice as I hear scouts don't typically watch AA and because he's a D man, his stats don't reflect how solid a player he is. Has there been kids drafted from AA when there's AAA within the area? Thoughts?

Billybaroo*

my sons in his 2nd yr bantam and got cut from the AAA team. It was not only shocking to us, but also to the other players, his previous coach and other coaching staff that have never coached him before as he was easily one of the top 4 D-men during tryouts. As he was obviously shaken at getting cut, he said no at the time to going in the city draft to tryout for another club and we also didn't know if that was wise anyhow to go play on a weak AAA team, so he's now playing AA for his 2nd year. I'm wondering now though, did we make the wrong choice as I hear scouts don't typically watch AA and because he's a D man, his stats don't reflect how solid a player he is. Has there been kids drafted from AA when there's AAA within the area? Thoughts?

If hes any good (which is unlikely) eventually someone will spot him. If not this year, in coming years.
Draft means zip.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

Not sure why you think playing for a weak AAA team would be bad for him. Really you get better by playing against better competition. Bantam draft isn't the end of the world, sounds like you're taking just as hard as your son. If he is good enough to play in the WHL he will in a few years. I would be surprised if the coaches would drop a top four dman for a first year player, maybe he was borderline, they usually go with the younger player.

RetiredHockeyDad

Nov 27, 2009

The 1995 age group, was a strong year for northern AB. Of the 72 defencemen that played in the northern AMBHL that year, only 10 are presently playing in the WHL (final cuts have not been made). These guys were dynamite Bantams (Kanzig, Geertsen, Morrison, Stanton, Wheaton, Waltz). Chances are your son will not play in the WHL but with a great deal of work may have a slim chance at playing Junior A. I know a couple of kids that didn't play Bantam AAA but ended up as 5-6 defencemen in Junior A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad