Alberta Golden Bears 2019-20

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta evens series 1-1 with a 6-1 blowout win.
Golden Bears force a 3rd and deciding game tonight at Clare Drake Arena after hammering UBC 6-1.
Bears 1st line center Chad Butcher missed the second game of the series last night in Edmonton, but support forwards Curtis Miske and Cole Lineker each scored twice as Alberta chased Rylan Toth after 2 periods en route to a 4-0 lead.
Very dirty, cheap game.
Too many penalties...for both teams.
Game three goes tonight in Edmonton.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
T-Birds, Toth stun Golden Bears as Alberta misses out on Nationals for just the third time in the last 24 years.

Rylan Toth made 40 saves as the UBC Thunderbirds pulled off the biggest upset of the Golden Bears hockey team in Canada West play in the last 50+ years!

After making 51 saves Friday night in a shocking 3-2 OT win for the T-Birds, Toth rebounded from being pulled in a 6-1 Alberta rout on Saturday... back-stopping UBC to win on Sunday in a 2-1 victory.

As a result the Golden Bears, who have qualified for the National Championships 21 of the last 23 seasons, saw their season come to an end.

UBC who won only 3 road games in the regular season have not earned 4 road victories in the Playoffs and advanced to the University Cup for the first time in over 40 years.

NO EXCUSES for Alberta.

Granted the team lost their #1 C Chad Butcher early in Game 1 of the series, but the Golden Bears failure stemmed for issues that were festering all season.

Alberta has a tonne of skill, but often preferred playing a perimeter game.
The Bears PP was too passive...all season. U cant just pass the puck into the net.
Goaltending. The team lost Zach Sawchenko to the San Jose Sharks organization in the off-season.
Then top recruit Griffen Outhouse opted to go to the Manitoba Moose on an AHL deal.
Brendan Burke struggled at time especially after returning from the Spengler Cup where his father Sean had him serve as Canada's #3 goalie.
Matt Berlin gave up just 3 goals final 2 GP of the series, that should have been enough to get Alberta the series win...it wasn't.
Bottom line Alberta outshot UBC 94 to 36 in the 2 games they lost.
Didn't get it done!

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Ryan Rehill

With the college hockey season completed, have there been any feelers in terms of professional hockey?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UofA is not the 1st school to under fund athletics and they won't be the last. Unlike a lot of US schools there isn't a lot money that comes in from sports. I think most Canadian schools, if they could, would raze the football "stadium" or arena and build a residence. Way more money comes in from that than from 100 people at a hockey game.

I spent a lot of years with both DAL and SMU hockey programs, so I have a bit of inside knowledge. Bob was the Sports Info guy at UofA for a number of years and I'm sure he knows of what he speaks.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
UofA is not the 1st school to under fund athletics and they won't be the last. Unlike a lot of US schools there isn't a lot money that comes in from sports. I think most Canadian schools, if they could, would raze the football "stadium" or arena and build a residence. Way more money comes in from that than from 100 people at a hockey game.

I spent a lot of years with both DAL and SMU hockey programs, so I have a bit of inside knowledge. Bob was the Sports Info guy at UofA for a number of years and I'm sure he knows of what he speaks.
Define "underfund". Throughout history, university teams in this country have been largely self-funded. Intramural sport was as important as the intercollegiate level in many places. Our notion of funding sports is largely imported from the States, where the high status of university sport is unique in this world. In most places university teams compete in local senior leagues.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
There are definitely some Alberta politics at play. After years of low provincial taxes due to oil revenues the party is over. UCP is cutting services/costs instead of raising taxes (heaven forbid they force taxpayers to pay a tax rate comparable to other provinces ...). Universities have taken big cuts in Alberta. Academics are often not fans of athletics, so they are first to feel the knife. If you're cynical, it is also a way to get the attention of varsity sports fan alumni, and have them come to the side of universities vs. government, or have them bail out athletic programs. It would seem that for a while now UofA senior admin is less sports friendly in general - apparently they haven't been the biggest fans of Katz's proposals and if you know Edmonton, Oilers rule. Also, as has happened with other hockey programs in Canada, all the hockey revenues go into a shared pot. While this is good for the other sports programs with lower profiles, it can make it harder to motivate hockey staff to fund raise when they don't necessarily get to keep it all in-house.

tl:dr It's a complicated mess. Always is when there is less money to go around.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
There are definitely some Alberta politics at play. After years of low provincial taxes due to oil revenues the party is over. UCP is cutting services/costs instead of raising taxes (heaven forbid they force taxpayers to pay a tax rate comparable to other provinces ...). Universities have taken big cuts in Alberta. Academics are often not fans of athletics, so they are first to feel the knife. If you're cynical, it is also a way to get the attention of varsity sports fan alumni, and have them come to the side of universities vs. government, or have them bail out athletic programs. It would seem that for a while now UofA senior admin is less sports friendly in general - apparently they haven't been the biggest fans of Katz's proposals and if you know Edmonton, Oilers rule. Also, as has happened with other hockey programs in Canada, all the hockey revenues go into a shared pot. While this is good for the other sports programs with lower profiles, it can make it harder to motivate hockey staff to fund raise when they don't necessarily get to keep it all in-house.

tl:dr It's a complicated mess. Always is when there is less money to go around.

I wonder if they could have at least tried a fundraising effort first? Or at least reached out to the Alumni?

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
All fixed now I see bob must have quite the chub today
In support of Robert, think about what had him frustrated and then look around at your athletic programs..........
All are under funded
All are required to fund raise to offset the lack of operating dollars
Why do you think more schools are banging the drums of soccer, wrasslin, cross country....
Low low operating costs
Most school draw flies to their venue so these club sports are perfect adds to athletic programs because they have very little costs and most are used to a user pay model.....
Meanwhile the real sports....
Have Very little central admin support for scholarships
Some of the little schools have found a way to use credits units as AFAs, so Monopoly money that really never leaves the box.
But most institutions don’t give a rip about helping budgets but they like the visibility prominent programs give their schools nationally,
Especially at U of A!
My guess is U of A hasn’t had a budget increase for athletics in years.....all are required to fund raise or seek donors to off set the difference!
U of A dropped football a ways back ( same AD) said they were not an elite program and therefore didn’t justify the cash being spent....
Knowing full well it was a play to put the ball in a donor or alumni’s hands to come up with a financial plan to save the program.
Which they did.
Guess what happened again with U of A hockey volleyball and basketball !
Who do you think went out and knocked on doors and made the phone calls saying hey we can keep this alive but we need “more” of your money!!
U of A coaching staffs already have to fund raise their asses of to be a very very elite USPORTS program and then this same AD dumps them for a one year hiatus. But I am sure says if you can find the $ to operate thru this pandemic ....fill your boots.

I think it is fantastic news for USPORTS men’s and women’s hockey that the Bears and Pandas are back!
But it doesn’t address the real problem that Robert was alluding to! IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad