Alberta Golden Bears 2019-20

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
IMO Saskatchewan has been in the ST FX tier the last several seasons just below Alberta and UNB.
The Bears and the Huskies split two games earlier this season, when Alberta had several regulars up front out.
Huskies won 5-2 on the Friday in an even game shots wise 32-32.
Golden Bears drilled Saskatchewan 5-1 in Game 2 of the series outshooting the Huskies 35-15.
Tonight will tell me a lot.
Alberta is pretty much back to 100% though talented puck-moving D Clayton Kirichenko is out with the flu.
The Bears were soft and on the perimeter a lot last night.
I know Ian Herbers well, last night was NOT acceptable.
So we will see what happens in Saskatoon tonight; then I will make an assessment of where the Huskies and the Bears are at!

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta (12-3-1) came out smoking tonight in Saskatoon!
Outshot the Huskies 22-3 at one point in the first period building up a 2-0 lead.
Golden Bears end up winning 4-2, and outshooting Saskatchewan (14-2-0) 41-24 on the night.
Luke Philip picked up 1-1-2 to move into a tie with Calgary's Riley Sheen for top spot in Conference scoring with 20 points though Philip has played four fewer games.
Bears played without defenceman Clayton Kirichenko who had the flu and former 109 point man from the WHL Trevor Cox who got elbowed in the head in Friday's game.
Five Golden Bears were invited to represent the USports team for the a couple games against the World Junior hopefuls in Victoria in December 10th-14th. I don't think all five will go...
Details to follow...

Reactions: Rob

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta sweeps undermanned Manitoba winning ugly 5-4 in OT Saturday night in Edmonton.
I watched part of both games onlne.
The Golden Bears dominated Friday. Shots were 50-13, but needed late empty netter to post 4-1 win.
Manitoba, who have several injuries right now battled hard Satuday as the Bears squandered a 4-2 third period lead and the Bisons forced OT.
New recruit Tyler Soy who was high end skill player in the WHL, didnt play Saturday, he has a minor upper body injury.
Freshman C Curtis Miske also missed the week-end.
Goaltender Brendan Burke also missed the series, as Ian Herbers went with 3rd stringer Kenny Cameron vs Manitoba.

Despite a 10-0-1 run I still believe this team has a lot more game to give, based on the depth of talent they have.
The Bears were a score off the rush, trade chances team last year and were lucky to win the Univesity Cup; rallying from a 2-0 3rd period deficit vs Saskatchewan in the Semifinal and overcoming an awful start vs St. FX in the Final.

Herbers' teams are puck possession, cycle teams that limit opposition chances. This style required committment and non-stop compete. Still think there is some work that needs to be done.

Alberta at UBC next week. Bears have had challenges there over the few seasons.

Reactions: Rob

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The #2 ranked Alberta Golden Bears run their unbeaten streak to 12 games (11-0-1) with a 3-2 win in Double OT in Vancouver vs UBC.
It was ugly!
Nursing a 2-1 3rd period lead on goals from Luke Philp and freshman Grayson Pawlenchuk the Bears smaller, skilled forwards were soft on pucks and then watched UBC tie it on excellent three-way passing play.
After killing off a penalty on the 4v4 1st OT, the Bears got gifted a 5v3 PP in the 2nd OT period and Stefan Legault scored with just :02 left off a fanned one-timer from Steve Owre.
I have high expectations from the Golden Bears.
Last year's team was a little lucky to win IMO as they traded chances as a score off the rush team and then relied on goaltending.
Ian Herbers is demanding more from this group since returning from the Oilers.
And, despite the 11-0-1 run I'm not convinced that Alberta is near the level they need to be win.
A team like UNB is as deep as Alberta; Bears will need more committment from everyone if they are to repeat as National Champions.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta bombs UBC 6-0 Saturday afternoon in Vancouver to earn the sweep and run their undefeated streak to 13 games (12-0-1).
Scoreless after the 1st period; All-Canadian Luke Philp scored a natural hat-trick in the 2nd period (including two absolute snipes from the high slot) as the Golden Bears built up a 4-0 lead after two, outshhoting UBC 14-1 in the period to boot!
Bears nursed it home in third adding two more.
Philp (15-11-26/16 GP/+13) btw is drawing interest from multiple NHL organizations I am told.
Zach Sawchenko made just 17 saves for the shutout.
Alberta outshot UBC 35-17 overall.
Game wasn't close!
Golden Bears have home-and-home with Mount Royal next week.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta makes it 15 in a row undefeated (14-0-1) in Conference play by virture of a pair of 5-0 victories over Mount Royal this weekend.
Went to game Friday night at Clare Drake Arena in Edmonton.
It wasn't close!
Bears built up a 5-0 lead through two periods with a pair of goals from defenceman Graeme Craig and a 4 assist performance from Cole Sanford.
The Refs managed the game in third gifting Mount Royal a couple of PP's.
Bears outshot MRU 38-17 as Brendan Burke returned to the lineup and earned a shutout.
Zach Sawchenko got the shutout Saturday making 21 saves as Sanford, a former 50 goal scorer with Medicine Hat in the WHL scored twice in the 5-0 win.
Sanford has now moved into second in the Conference scoring race with 29 points behind All-Canadian Luke Philp who has 31 points in 18 GP. The two Bears forwards play on different lines.
Philp is garnering interest from NHL scouts.
Alberta 18-3-1 travels to Regina 4-17-1 for a pair of games next weekend.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Alberta definitely seems well oiled right now. Does Tyler Soy step into a top 6 player for the Bears.
Haven't seen the Bears play this year, has there been a big transition from playing for Serge Lajoie to Herbers?

Nuts4hky

Jan 25, 2019
Alberta definitely seems well oiled right now. Does Tyler Soy step into a top 6 player for the Bears.
Haven't seen the Bears play this year, has there been a big transition from playing for Serge Lajoie to Herbers?

Last edited:

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta (20-3-1) is now undefeated in regulation in their last 17 Conference games (16-0-1) after sweeping Regina 6-3 and 7-1 in the Queen City.
Neither game was close!
The #2 ranked Golden Bears outshot the Cougars 52-17 on Friday as Luke Philp scored four goals.
Philp is making a strong run to be USports Player of the Year.
He added two more assists today as the Bears pounded Regina 60-13 on the shot clock; and got two goals each from Jayden Hart, Grayson Pawlenchuk and newcomer Tyler Soy.
Hart, Soy and Pawlenchuk all play on a different lines.

Under Ian Herbers the Bears play differently than they did under Serge Lajoie.
Herbers, guided Alberta to back-to-back National titles in '14 and '15 before taking a three leave to serve as Assistant Coach with the Edmonton Oilers.

Alberta was a score off the rush team and trade chances squad under Lajoie who is now Head Coach in Kamloops.
The Golden Bears now are more of a puck possession and hard O-zone cycle team under Herbers.
The Bears were low on bodies in thru the first 4 weeks of the Conference season, down as many as 5 forwards and the team started just 4-3-0.
Since getting healthy they are 16-0-1; and they still have another gear IMO.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Valid point about Saskatchewan being ahead by a point in the overall standings.
However.
Once Alberta has gotten healthy they have been the best team in the Conference.
The Golden Bears have the best goal differential (+65) in the Canada West.
In terms of Special Teams, Alberta is basically in dead heat with Saskatchewan on the PP at 25.0% and has by far the best PK% at over 91.5%.
How about this for a stat. The Bears have scores as many goals while shorthanded 8, as they have given up (8) on the season.
Alberta is now outshooting the opposition 2-to-1 on the season (41.33-20.58).

And here is the kicker!
The Bears have still yet to play fully up to their potential.
Their 3rd line of 2018 USports MVP Stefan Legault-Steve Owre-Tyler Soy hasn't totally reached their potential.
Legault is getting up to speed recovering from torn achilles and Soy is getting used to playing Usports.

Trust me the Bears have another gear.
I wouldn't bet against Ian Herbers getting his team there!

Reactions: The Batman

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
CanadaWest
Outside of Saskatchewan and Calgary, it is obvious that there is little competition to push Alberta in the conference?
It looks like Mt Royal has taken a step backward this year and UBC showed promise early, but the bottom 4 can't compete with the upper half, the results don't lie.
IMO, Alberta, who is better than last year, in depth and coaching, will be the team to beat in Lethbridge. UNB, is also as deep as last year.
Also, OUA east has progressed and can't be overlooked at Nationals, no gimme win there!

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Just got back from Montreal.
Bears swept Lethbridge 6-0, 9-5 at home and are now 18-0-1 last 19 GP.
Luke Philp had 4 assists, and has had NHL scouts from Chicago and Calgary looking at him.
He has 8-12-20 last 7 GP!
Philp shoul win Canada West MVP.
Since Russ Hewson won back-to-back Sullivan Trophy's in 1999-00, 00-01 Alberta hasnt had an USports Player of the Year, I wonder if this is the year!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Alberta now ranked number one in the country. I don’t have a problem with it but I can see why some Huskies fans might.
Anyway it will all be settled when they meet in the Canada West finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad