Alberta Golden Bears 2019-20

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The #1 ranked Alberta Golden Bears closed out the regular season running their Conference unbeaten run to 20-0-1 with a weekend sweep of Calgary winning 4-1 in Cowtown and a 5-4 OT win at Clare Drake Arena last night.
I caught the third period and OT last night after the Oilers game and the Dinos had a strong performance with Riley Sheen really sticking out for Calgary.
The terrific crowd at Clare Drake Arena were entertained with an up tempo game that was ended in 3v3 OT on brilliant rush from Sawyer Lange.
Despite finishing 24-3-1 Alberta will not have home ice advantage throught the playoffs as the Saskatchewan Huskies ended up first with a 25-3-0 record.
Alberta went 2-1-1 against Saskatchewan in the regular season.
Bears will host a Conference semi-final series, likely against Calgary in two weeks.
Tyler Soy (hand) and Curtis Miske (finger) both did not plays this weekend, not sure if either will return in two weeks.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So should we just pencil in Alberta vs Saskatchewan again?

If there is another team that could pull of an upset who would it be?

Calgary is the only team team that I think would have any kind of chance at all...but even still, winning 2 in Edmonton would be slim.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have had Calgary in my top 6 for the last several weeks.
The Dinos played with pace and went right at Alberta Saturday night; they didn't sit back and trap.
They have a "Punchers Chance" in a series.
That said, I think the Golden Bears needed a bit of wake-up after outscoring Calgary 18-3 over the 3 previous games, including 8-0 and 4-1 victories in Calgary.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I personally believe that this year's Golden Bears team is a significant step up from last seasons' National Championship squad. Since getting relatively Alberta is 20-0-1. They lost 3 Conference games in their first four Canada West weekends as the Bears had as many as 6 forwards out of the line-up.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Bears (Cal) and Huskies (Mt R) draw first blood with 5-1 and 3-1 wins in game #1.
They will both advance to the Cup with a victory tonite. surprise, surprise!
With these two teams and most likely UNB, the three best teams will be in Lethbridge.
The OUA will take another series to find out who comes out of those conferences, as well.
SMU is dangerous and have the upper hand in the other AUS playoff.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The #1 ranked Golden Bears swept the Calgary Dinos in two straight game (3-1, and 6-3) to advance to the Canada West Final in Saskatchewan and claim one of two Conference spots at the University Cup in Lethbridge.
Bears dominated the opening period of Game 1 outshooting the Dinos 14-3 and seperated as the game wore on en route to the 3-1 win.
Scouts from Edmonton and Buffalo were at Clare Drake Arena no doubt watching Luke Philp and Jason Fram, both 1st team Canada West All-Stars.
Fram, an offensive right shot D, ripped two home in the win.
I saw a large portion of Game 2 online prior to Oilers-Ducks game last night as Alberta built up a 4-1 lead after two periods in the 6-3 win. Freshman Grayson Pawlenchuk scored twice as 13 different Golden Bears got on the scoresheet.
Bears outshot Calgary 34-21, and 63-36 overall on the weekend.
Mid-season add Tyler Soy missed the weekend with an upper body injury, he is expected back at the latest for the University Cup; Curtis Miske returned to the lineup after missing several weeks with an upper body injury.
Head Coach Ian Herbers scratched Tyson Baille, a former 40 goal, 90 point scorer with Kelowna in the WHL.
Alberta is now 22-0-1 in their last 23 Canada West games (regular season/playoffs).
Their lone blemish during that stretch was an OT loss at Sask Nov. 30th when the Huskies beat Alberta 4-3 in OT.
The next night Alberta outshot the Huskies 22-7 in the opening period en route to a 4-2 win.
But that Huskies win is why Saskatchewan hosts the Canada West Final as Saskatchewan finished the season 25-3 and Alberta 24-3-1.
Two of Saskatchewan's three regulation losses came to Golden Bears.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta's 23 game (22-0-1) regulation undefeated streak vs USports opponents is over after the Golden Bears lost 4-2 in Game 1 of the best-of-3 Canada West Final in Saskatoon.
Both teams have already qualified for the University Cup in Lethbridge.
Saskatchewan finished the regular season, 25-3, Alberta 24-3-1.
The Huskies outworked Alberta Friday night; as the Golden Bears played a soft perimeter game.
The Bears outshot the U of S 26 to 25.
Game 2 takes place Saturday night in Saskatoon.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Alberta with a decisive 3-0 win of Saskatchewan. The Huskies spent way too much in the penalty box. Something they are going to have to rectify for game 3.

First time watching a game at the new rink. It was disappointing. There is a safety net all around the glass. Not just behind the net. Really makes for bad video.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Zach Sawchenko made 29 saves in Game 3 of the Canada West Final as #1 ranked Alberta beat Saskatchewan 1-0 to win their 28th Conference Final since 1972-73.
After losing Game 1 to Saskatchewan 4-2, Sawchenko also shutout the Huskies 3-0 in Game 2.
Sunday night Canada West MVP Luke Philp scored the lone goal on a perfectly executed PP set-up in the second period.
The Bears got robbed of a goal in the first period when the referee blew a call after Huskies netmider Taran Kozun turned the puck over and Alberta deposited into the empty net but the net appeared to come off the peg...while the puck clearly went in.
Based on what I saw this weekend I think Saskatchewan can win the University Cup.
They are strong in goal and their D can transition the puck.
They dominated the Golden Bears in the faceoff circle; freshman C Donovan Neuls who had a strong playoff when Seattle won the WHL title in 2017 was stellar all weekend.
Alberta is good enough to win; but they still haven't reached their ceiling this season to me.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Bears up 1-0 in the 3rd with 1 second left on the clock, draw in their zone. Sask wins the draw cleanly, gets off a 1-timer and bangs it off the post. Wild finish.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The #1ranked Alberta Golden Bears opened up the University Cup with a convincing 7-1 victory over host Lethbridge.
U Sports Player of the Year Luke Philp had 2-2-4 and Trevor Cox 1-3-4.
Bears outshot 'Horns 30-15.
Alberta meets Saskatchewan Saturday in the National Semifinal

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
After beating Saskatchewan 3-0 with a third consective shutout for Zach Sawchenko over the Huskies, the #1 ranked Alberta Golden Bears lost the U Cup Final 4-2 to UNB Sunday night in Lethbridge.
The V-Reds were good early and set a physical tone.
The Golden Bears lost U Sports Player of the Year Luke Philp midway through the first with a lower body injury and it effected the PP whcih finished the game 1 for 7.
Sawchenko gave up at least two goals that he'd like to have back and when you are playing a team as good as UNB that can be the difference in a game.
Nonetheless he is a terrific USports goalie and has three more years of eligibility.
Frankly Alberta was a little lucky to have won the National title last season as Saskatchewan had the Bears on the ropes; and the Golden Bears avoided playing UNB at home when the V-Reds were upset by X.
My sense was Sunday night UNB was little hungrier then the Bears...Alberta got chasing and despite a push in third outshooting the V-Reds 10-2...it wasn't their night.
Losing Philp obviously hurt, as did not having Tyler Soy (46 goals one season with Victoria) who returned from pro but suffered an Upper-body injury and was not available for the Championship.
Nonethless UNB is a deserved Champ!

Reactions: TB12 and Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Losing Philp leading to 1-7 on the PP and a sub-par performance from Sawchenko are my key ALB takeaways. For UNB, Dubeau had an amazing night (which is always key) and UNB's depth (rookies at that) stepped up to replace the scoring from the top 5 (Clapperton, Brace, Anderson, Boland & Simpson) - two rookies, a sophomore and a junior were the goal scorers for UNB - wouldn't have guessed that. The PK was great.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Sounds like despite the injury, Luke Philp is about to sign an entry level contract with the Calgary Flames. I really hope that his injury is not as bad as it looked.

Bob McKenzie:
Even though University of Alberta Golden Bear forward Luke Philp suffered an injury that took him out of the @USPORTSca University Cup this past weekend, he’s on the verge of signing an NHL ELC with CGY.
Also, McKenzie says in another tweet that Philp is expected to miss 4 or more weeks with a LBI

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Bears could be getting a double-whammy!
Obviously news is out on Luke Philp signing with the Calgary Flames!
This great for USports...

Also when I was in Arizona on Saturday a well placed source told me Jason Fram would be signing with Kunin Red Star of the KHL.

So the Golden Bears will be losing two First-Team All-Canadians...but both players advance togreat situations!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Bears could be getting a double-whammy!
Obviously news is out on Luke Philp signing with the Calgary Flames!
This great for USports...

Also when I was in Arizona on Saturday a well placed source told me Jason Fram would be signing with Kunin Red Star of the KHL.

So the Golden Bears will be losing two First-Team All-Canadians...but both players advance togreat situations!

Tough players to replace but I'm sure the Bears will have another great recruiting off season. Soy didn't even get to play in the post season yet.

Had a question for you as well. Will the Bears ever put in a bid to host again? They've been successful hosts before and it has been a while.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Tough players to replace but I'm sure the Bears will have another great recruiting off season. Soy didn't even get to play in the post season yet.

Had a question for you as well. Will the Bears ever put in a bid to host again? They've been successful hosts before and it has been a while.
I spoke to Stan Marple, at last years Cup. I think it is only a matter of time.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think Alberta will need a new Arena to host.
The Edmonton Oil Kings weren't around in 2005 and 2006 when the U of A last hosted and had games at Rexall Place.
U need 8 Dressing rooms now and Clare Drake Arena, which is 60 years old, only has 5.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I think Alberta will need a new Arena to host.
The Edmonton Oil Kings weren't around in 2005 and 2006 when the U of A last hosted and had games at Rexall Place.
U need 8 Dressing rooms now and Clare Drake Arena, which is 60 years old, only has 5.
He did mention that it was too small and the cost of renting the new facility would be too expensive.
I thought Rexall wasn't an option either, decommissioning?
Are there any other facilities that the UofA could use for hosting or even entertain the idea ?
I'm surprised that the Dino's haven't showed interest, under Howell?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->