Alberta Golden Bears 2014-15

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
On the Atlantic and AUS teams

Alberta has won two National Championships in the Atlantic, both times in Moncton.
The Bears won the '78 title beating Toronto 6-5. It would be the first of the three straight for the U of A, as they would beat Paul MacLean and Dalhousie in '79, and then crushed host Regina in 1980.
Most of you are familiar with the Bears title in 2008 in Moncton with the marginal 3-2 upset over UNB.

Make no mistake, the Bears have a healthy respect for whatever AUS team they will face.
I still think top to bottom the AUS has the strongest Conference, and as illustrated last March, the University Cup is a "home show".
How many of you had Saskatchewan in the Final?
With three AUS schools in the 8-team tournament I could easily see at least two AUS schools in the semi-final.
St. FX will not be a big underdog if the play the Bears.
They are a top four AUS team with several WHL'ers.
They will kind of be "at home" and they will have full support of the home crowd, with Bears being portrayed as the "black hats" by the fans....and "some" of the media.
"X" wont have any pressure on them, they will be seenm as David trying to slay Goliath, they will be playing with house money!
Alberta, assuming they make it, will be flying 3000 miles and will have a target on their backs.
It wont be easy.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"...and as illustrated last March, the University Cup is a "home show".
How many of you had Saskatchewan in the Final?"

How many had UNB and SMU in the final the year before?

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Re: AUS Fan

as per 2013 University Cup in Saskatchewan.
Bears got upset by an OUA school which mustered all of 2 even-strength shots in the entire-game..., and then Alberta with nothing to play pretty much dominated the mighty SMU...lol...and won in OT.
Should have been Alberta-UNB Final...wasn't...Bears blew it.
Last year how did AUS rep Acadia do?
Tournament favors regional teams closet to event.
Travel is a huge factor, and trust me...as someone who travels in the NHL all season...is multiplied 10-fold in the Western Conference of the NHL.
2005 University Cup-All-Canada West Final in EDM
2007 University Cup-All AUS Final in Moncton
2014 University Cup-All Canada West Final in Saskatchewan

One of the two years in Halifax there will be an all AUS Final...mark my words

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Like I said....as long as CW keeps receiving two berths at the UCup there is absolutely no reason for them not to make the tournament every single year. Shouldn't be too tough to defeat a middle-of-the-pack CIS team two out of three times with every game at home....

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
Like I said....as long as CW keeps receiving two berths at the UCup there is absolutely no reason for them not to make the tournament every single year. Shouldn't be too tough to defeat a middle-of-the-pack CIS team two out of three times with every game at home....

Sorta like U of S did versus Acadia last year at nationals.
Were they the AUS champs in 2014
They IMO were very below average last year and I wonder if they have improved improved this year? not sure. Time will tell i guess.
I just think with the AUS-22 man rule you have brought the Vreds back to the pack and you think you are all better.
Dreaming IMO

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Sorta like U of S did versus Acadia last year at nationals.
Were they the AUS champs in 2014
They IMO were very below average last year and I wonder if they have improved improved this year? not sure. Time will tell i guess.
I just think with the AUS-22 man rule you have brought the Vreds back to the pack and you think you are all better.
Dreaming IMO
Anyone can have a bad University Cup, as did Acadia last year.
Alberta, also had a very poor tournament in Fredericton, in 2011.
All of the teams will be capable of beating each other, if they play to their potential!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Sorry Mike, I don't quite follow. What does Alberta's future Canada West playoff performance have anything to do with Acadia's 2014 University Cup performance?? We all can admit Acadia had a pretty bad tournament last year...but that has nothing at all to do with what I was saying, that I think Alberta should make the CW finals (and thus, the UCup) every single year, as long as this current format continues, given that all they will have to do is defeat the 4th seeded team (or lower) in the CW semi-finals with every game at home. Not only are they routinely one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country, but you could argue they will annually have the easiest possible path to the UCup.

Last edited:

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
Sorry Mike, I don't quite follow. What does Alberta's future Canada West playoff performance have anything to do with Acadia's 2014 University Cup performance?? We all can admit Acadia had a pretty bad tournament last year...but that has nothing at all to do with what I was saying, that I think Alberta should make the CW finals (and thus, the UCup) every single year, as long as this current format continues, given that all they will have to do is defeat the 4th seeded team (or lower) in the CW semi-finals with every game at home. Not only are they routinely one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country, but you could argue they will annually have the easiest possible path to the UCup.
yes i would have to agree with that arguement.
I just felt last year the AUS after the Vreds wasnt that scary. and now that you guys have put the governor on UNB, it has not helped your championship cause. I don't see Acadia as that much better than least year on paper, and maybe they had an off year at the nationals?
better this year. Maybe that is what we should do to AB out here.....as there is them and then 234? always. good coaching i guess

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
Missed last night's game but was there to witness a wild final 9 minutes tonight where the Bears took their first lead with 33 seconds left in the game to win 4-3. Full credit to UBC who played a good game and sacrificed their bodies on every shot - they must have had 20 quality blocks. Bears scored their final two goals on the UBC back-up keeper who had to come in for Williams who left with a hand injury after the Bears second goal. The game became a chippy affair after the first period as the refs put their whistles away. Was one of the poorer officiated games of the year. Overall, the Bears still looked a little rusty for two periods but definitely found their legs and game in the third.

As for the Bears path to the Nationals, they have taken care of their business in the regular season to get the home ice advantage - definitely an advantage. However, regardless of the advantage, they still have to player the regular season to earn that advantage. But the fact remains, home ice or no home ice, the Bears under Herbers looked to be a perennial top team in the country.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Bob - do you recall whether Alberta wore 'white' or 'darks' in the 2000 CIAU final vs UNB (R. Hewson in OT2)? I think they wore 'white' as the higher seed and had 'home' ice.

Curiously - UNB has won their 5 titles all wearing 'whites'

Lost in 1997 in 'white'
Lost in 2000 in 'red' (I think)
Lost in 2004 in 'red'
Lost in 2008 in 'white'

Thanks.

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
Dominating performance by the Bears last night - giving up only 9 shots. It appears after a rusty semi against UBC the Bears are starting to hit stride again. The Dinos appeared deflated as early as the second period. There was some pushback in the third but not much. The Bears also showed a feisty side with a few line scrums after the whistle resulting in several misconducts on both sides - nice to see them step up in the physical department. Will be interesting to see if Herbers sticks with his goalie rotation or lets Mucha ride it out the rest of the way. Lazarak got pulled to start the third so expect DeSerres to start tonight. What has been interesting is that Toomy has taken the pre-game skate the last two weekends but then has been scratched - hopefully he is ready for the Nationals as that provides another big body with skill up front.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Re: Bears Repeat

An excellent showing from the Golden Bears in Halifax as the Bears repeat as National Champions.
Hard to believe a team as good as UNB could be limited to just nine shots in an entire game.
The transformation of the program over the last four seasons has been amazing.
Truth be known Alberta easily could have won three-in-a-row...as Alberta was quite unlucky not to have survived the opening game of the 2013 University Cup in Saskatoon...outshooting their opponent 43-13, but hitting several posts in a 2-1 loss.
Nonetheless Ian Herbers program has now won two straight!
Outscoring teams 16-5 in three games in Halifax and outshooting them 99-39.
To beat UNB in the Atlantic is never an easy task.
The challenge to go get another next season should be even tougher.

Bob Stauffer,
Golden Bears Play-by-Play 89-92, '98-08,
Alberta SID 2000-08

Oilers Radio Network

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Re: Alberta returning 4th years

It is my belief that virtually every key Golden Bear who just completed his fourth year of eligibility will return to the program.
This would include Jordan Rowley and Thomas Carr on defence, and Jordan Hickmott, Kruise Reddick, Levko Koper, Brett Ferguson and James Dobrowolski up front.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
What courses are these guys taking? They can't graduate in 3 or 4 like most people?

I realize it's difficult to be a "student-athlete", but all these 5th year guys.....

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What courses are these guys taking? They can't graduate in 3 or 4 like most people?

I realize it's difficult to be a "student-athlete", but all these 5th year guys.....

They probably only take the equivalent of 3 full courses every semester, when most degrees require 5. They do the rest in spring/summer term and an extra year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad