Prospect Info: Albany Devils and ECHL Affiliates Thread Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
You have two options. You can get a Devils ticket for $25-150. You can get an A Devils ticket for $10-25. Which do you do? Tickets to NHL Devils games would drop by at least a third, probably half. Doesn't make any sense.

Also, how do you make back the millions it cost to build the arena in the first place? Where do you build parking? What do you do with the arena besides the anchor tenant in the over-crowded culture of NY Metro?

It is not feasible at any level.

Tickets to the NJD would not drop by 1/3 or 1/2. That's a ridiculous assertion.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I think Albany could be a good market. I just think the Devils haven't put in the effort to make it work.

Winning is a key issue with generating attendance. Feeling like the organization is committed to icing a competitive team helps people commit to being a fan. Otherwise, the fans are more in a "wait and see" mode: if the team proves to be good, more people might go later in the season.

The name is another issue. You've got years of the "River Rats" brand - through the Devils and Hurricanes. Now they have to invest in getting people to like the new name. As pointed out, the name has issues for Rangers, Bruins, Sabres and other non-Devils fans.

Community relations / outreach is a last issue. It relates to the name. With a new brand, they have to invest in generating awareness and positive feelings. As far as I know, the AHL Devils have never been particularly community friendly. I know Lowell had a contentious relationship with the Devils.

As an outsider, I think that recognizing local rivalries (Glens Falls), bringing in local players (former Union, RPI, etc.), and creating grassroots campaigns (fund raisers for local causes, support of local youth hockey) are all things I think could be improved.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think Albany could be a good market. I just think the Devils haven't put in the effort to make it work.

Winning is a key issue with generating attendance. Feeling like the organization is committed to icing a competitive team helps people commit to being a fan. Otherwise, the fans are more in a "wait and see" mode: if the team proves to be good, more people might go later in the season.

The name is another issue. You've got years of the "River Rats" brand - through the Devils and Hurricanes. Now they have to invest in getting people to like the new name. As pointed out, the name has issues for Rangers, Bruins, Sabres and other non-Devils fans.

Community relations / outreach is a last issue. It relates to the name. With a new brand, they have to invest in generating awareness and positive feelings. As far as I know, the AHL Devils have never been particularly community friendly. I know Lowell had a contentious relationship with the Devils.

As an outsider, I think that recognizing local rivalries (Glens Falls), bringing in local players (former Union, RPI, etc.), and creating grassroots campaigns (fund raisers for local causes, support of local youth hockey) are all things I think could be improved.

They should worry about all 3 Sabres fans in Albany. ;)

But, they should have not changed the River Rats name-unless they were not allowed to use it due to naming rights of the past ownership?

FYI they do all of the things you suggested.
Kelly Zajac/Keith Kinkaid played at Union, they play Glenn Falls quite often and they do lots of stuff in the community (check out their website/twitter pages.)

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
But they are not the same product, one is NHL, the other is minor leagues. I think the minor leagues serves as something locals can do spur of the moment on the weekend. akin to going to the movies.

And like I mentioned earlier, I think having a Devils presence helps build the Devils brand. I don't think that works when your talking Albany, or Trenton, people from those areas are rarely going to go to a game in Newark, but a location that is nearer to Newark, but not at Newark's doorstep. I could see that working.

I wouldn't look to build an arena, I'd look to play in a venue that is already established. And given that Albany draws what? 500 people per game(judging by some clips that might be generous) I would think there are options out there.

Just thought of this, could they retro fit Asbury Park convention hall?
I've seen minor league basketball there. Good time.

Trenton is an hour train ride to Newark Penn.

If there was a ready made arena in the Lakewood area, maybe that would work better.

I heard Monnmouth University has an arena, what is the seating capacity?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
the thing is, moving the team would suck for the current fan-base in the area, which i believe has been growing over the past few seasons. they'd have to start from scratch

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
the thing is, moving the team would suck for the current fan-base in the area, which i believe has been growing over the past few seasons. they'd have to start from scratch

Is there a current fan base up there? Every clip I see is of a completely empty arena.

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark
according to hockeydb that tracks team attendance stats. albany has the league worst attendance. of 2522 avg per game and i find that hard to beleive.! i doubt there are even 1000 fans at the games at sometimes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well so much for Albany's good streak, now half the team's gonna be up here :P

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The perfect place for a minor league hockey rink would be New Brunswick, that way Rutgers can start exploring fielding men's and women's Big Ten hockey teams.

I thought about this too.

Partnering up with Rutgers, creating a feasible rink for college hockey and an AHL team, and the location is pretty good as well. For those concerned about the feasibility of the idea, I'm sure Rutgers can find plenty of uses for a rink in the off-season. All the Devils need it for is the hockey season.

I'm pretty sure Rutgers is required to have a ice hockey team as part of joining the BIG 10 soon as well.

GhostofKenKlee

Lakewood shot down the arena a few years back.

Trenton would be ideal, but you can't judge it by the ECHL. AC?

New Brunswick has alot of building going on, I always said that NB would of been the ideal location for the Devils hockey team from all points in the state.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Lakewood shot down the arena a few years back.

Trenton would be ideal, but you can't judge it by the ECHL. AC?

New Brunswick has alot of building going on, I always said that NB would of been the ideal location for the Devils hockey team from all points in the state.

Atlantic City is a mess.

I don't think a hockey team would ever be feasible down there. I still don't understand how they ever got the logic to build a hockey rink in a shore town, when the hockey season is the exact opposite of the majority of the tourism to that area.

Trenton could work, but not branded as the Devils. New Brunswick would be an interesting idea. Where, I couldn't tell you, maybe somewhere near the RAC? I don't really have much knowledge about the area aside from where the Rutgers campuses are.

GhostofKenKlee

This weekend the Flyers are "praticing" at Boardwalk hall this weekend.

Boardwalk has had hockey teams over the years. The venue is there and hosts concerts, fights and other events.

Trenton already exists and is sitting empty. AHL is a major upgrade from Princeton based ECHL.

If NJ is going to cash in on this Jersey's team thing going on.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
I still don't understand how they ever got the logic to build a hockey rink in a shore town, when the hockey season is the exact opposite of the majority of the tourism to that area.

AC doesn't have a "hockey rink". It's a multipurpose facility that hosts hockey at most 4 times a year. That said the only way a team would work in that city is if it was affiliated with the Flyers.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I love AC and do go to Albany games there once or twice a season, but, we should not move our AHL franchise there, it won't work out.

GhostofKenKlee

Atlantic_City_Boardwalk_Bullies181.png

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I thought about this too.

Partnering up with Rutgers, creating a feasible rink for college hockey and an AHL team, and the location is pretty good as well. For those concerned about the feasibility of the idea, I'm sure Rutgers can find plenty of uses for a rink in the off-season. All the Devils need it for is the hockey season.

I'm pretty sure Rutgers is required to have a ice hockey team as part of joining the BIG 10 soon as well.

Unfortunately I don't think they are required to field hockey teams. The problem also is its very expensive to run one program and you would also have to have two programs, the other being for females.

It might have been a possibility had that basketball coach not be an ******* and take down AD Tim Pernetti who I remember was open to opening hockey programs for Rutgers. Now the atmosphere has changed after the scandal and athletics has taken a back seat to academics.

Sucks cause I live 10 mins from Rutgers and would have gotten season tickets for sure.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
AC doesn't have a "hockey rink". It's a multipurpose facility that hosts hockey at most 4 times a year. That said the only way a team would work in that city is if it was affiliated with the Flyers.

Well yes, but they used to have an ECHL team there years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad