Celebrity Death: Alan Young (star of Mr. Ed & voice of Scrooge McDuck) (96)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Something fun I read when finding a link for this story:

He was the one that started the long-standing rumor/legend that they made Mr Ed "talk" on the show by putting peanut butter in his mouth. The studio had asked him not to reveal the method to make the horse move his lips, but he kept getting asked the question. So he just made up the idea about peanut butter so that people would stop asking.

Apparently eventually he revealed that they tried to do it mechanically (like with wires or something) and eventually just found that the horse's trainer was able to teach him to move his lips by touching his hoof while out of the view of the camera, and even to hit his "cue" by noticing when Alan Young would stop talking and starting to move his lips then. That's one damn smart horse.

200_s.gif

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Just heard...I guess the news lags sometimes. Used to watch reruns of Mr. Ed as a young teen when I think WWOR carried them. Also didn't realize he was the voice of Scrooge McDuck, nor that he was in the 1960 version of The Time Machine, which I'm pretty sure I've also seen long ago.

R.I.P.

EDIT: read his Wikipedia entry, he had quite a back story - joined the Royal Canadian Navy in WWII despite already being a radio star on CBC, but quit after learning they wanted him to write a show for the Navy instead of really serving. So he tried to join the Canadian Army instead, but was turned down due to a childhood history with asthma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Young

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3