Confirmed with Link: Alain Vigneault fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
https://nypost.com/2018/04/16/the-rangers-other-trade-chip-found-hockey-heaven/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

“I don’t think it’s a secret that A.V. and I were not a great fit,” said Miller, who could never completely escape the doghouse despite the package of size, speed and physicality he embodies. “I’d say there are better fits for both of us.”

It's possible that miller was part of the problem

Small part of me feels like Gorton really did wait until the final week to finally deciding to actually fire him... Little scary

Last edited:
Reactions: YearOfTheCat

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You call it his arrogance, Ill call it his stubborness.

If you're looking for another reason, the personnel also got ****tier from top to bottom.
Call it what you want, the negative results were the same
If you're looking for another reason, the personnel also got ****tier from top to bottom.
You always come back to this. And while this does bear weight, it had NOTHING to do with his highly questionable personnel decisions along with his utter inability to adjust to what was happening on the ice. Let's not also forget his inability to recognize what decisions needed to be made in order to put the players that he does have into positions for success. Or the fact that his teams were unprepared to play on most nights. Or the awful special teams.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So many of you talk like they’ve had this stacked team that somehow underachieved. The last three years their roster isn’t that good.
Fine, but then do something to put your players into positions for success and not failure. Do that and you would find more success. Again, the biggest difference in the Rangers under Torts as opposed to AV, was that the former got more with less and the latter got less with more.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
It's possible that miller was part of the problem

Small part of me feels like Gorton really did wait until the final week to finally deciding to actually fire him... Little scary
I think he was just saying that. He can't say "yeah we decided to move on from AV mid way through the year"

Also to be fair to AV, Gorton gave him every opportunity to turn the year around, get the kids engaged, etc. Good bosses do that, they exhaust every road and then move on. He didn't make a brash move. He thought it through. Its just that us fans were annoyed.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The roster wasn't great and not as good as years past, but it was sufficient to get into the playoffs. The defensive side of the puck was atrocious, an abomination. They were able to score.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Okay, apologies if this has already been mentioned.
Alain Vigneault was relieved of his coaching duties.
If another NHL team wishes to hire him ie. Calgary, would The Ranger organization ask for compensation because he is still under contract for two more years?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If another NHL team wishes to hire him ie. Calgary, would The Ranger organization ask for compensation because he is still under contract for two more years?
Compensation for coaches is no longer a thing. Only outstanding compensation that is owed from before the rule change remains (not sure if there is any left).

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I think he was just saying that. He can't say "yeah we decided to move on from AV mid way through the year"

Also to be fair to AV, Gorton gave him every opportunity to turn the year around, get the kids engaged, etc. Good bosses do that, they exhaust every road and then move on. He didn't make a brash move. He thought it through. Its just that us fans were annoyed.

AV was definitely being factored into future plans at least at the time of the Tampa trade. Miller gets traded and then immediately all that nonsense about how uncoachable he was and the problems he and AV had???

Yeah, AV definitely won out on that one.

Reactions: GregSirico

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
AV was definitely being factored into future plans at least at the time of the Tampa trade. Miller gets traded and then immediately all that nonsense about how uncoachable he was and the problems he and AV had???
I do feel that Miller getting shipped out had to to with AV, but what could have happened from the time of the deal to the end of the season? Gorton had to know before the deadline. At least logically thinking about it.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I do feel that Miller getting shipped out had to to with AV, but what could have happened from the time of the deal to the end of the season? Gorton had to know before the deadline. At least logically thinking about it.

I'm not sure how much input the players have, but we've already heard two players rip AV to the media.

Kreider after the loss in NJ "they're a better coached team than us"... really? Hynes is one of the worst coaches in the league.. and then of course Buch ethered him in that interview with the Russian outlet.

Kreider is one of the longest tenured guys on the team other than Hank and Zucc and I'm sure Gorton values his opinion.

I can't imagine what was being said behind closed doors.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I would actually offer compensation to the Islanders or the Devils to hire the clown.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Why would he rush into anything, he's going to be making 4 mill a year for the next few years, if he sits on his duff or not.

For a coach, especially an older one like AV who has been through three organizations and plays kind of an outdated/antiquated D system, figure he'd want to get into something sooner rather than later. He runs the risk of being a coaching dinosaur. Then again, Keenan did get a job as late as 2007.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Big deal. It’s embarrassing and now they have no alternative. It’s a move a losing organization would make to appease a couple clueless fans.
I'm clueless , there's only a couple people like me yet a billion dollar sports franchise listened to me and the few like me. Cuz THATS plausible....Oh and apparently no organization ever fires bad coaches. They just keep the same coaches through multiple examples of disastrous coaching, PO choking, losing seasons, etc. Keeping coaches who lose? That's the only way to ever turn a franchise around or you risk being a loser organization. Got it. Solid contribution

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I'm not sure how much input the players have, but we've already heard two players rip AV to the media.

Kreider after the loss in NJ "they're a better coached team than us"... really? Hynes is one of the worst coaches in the league.. and then of course Buch ethered him in that interview with the Russian outlet.

Kreider is one of the longest tenured guys on the team other than Hank and Zucc and I'm sure Gorton values his opinion.

I can't imagine what was being said behind closed doors.
What'd Buch say? Missed that one.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Yeah, AV definitely won out on that one.

I don't know how you can draw this conclusion. Facts are that Gorton announced the new direction with his letter to the fans. Typically these statements (or during presser, following media appearances etc) extend a vote of confidence for the HC, even though often front office doesn't follow through and still makes a coaching change. At NO TIME Gorton gave any indication that AV is part of the team's long term plans. Firing AV within hours of the final game should speak volumes for the fact that it was a decision made a long time ago.

Miller thing? You could imagine anyone else being in AV shoes and it is still does not change the outcome. TBL wanted Miller and wouldn't proceed with the trade as structured if he wasn't a part of it. The Rangers didn't think they would be giving Miller a long-term deal anyway (maybe because he didn't fit into the future culture they were trying to establish or because they considered him uncoachable, AV or not), so they proceeded with the trade.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Watching Miller for Tampa shows me he is the exact same player that we saw here... Disinterested in the defensive zone, clueless in the neutral zone, SF was right about him, and quite frankly, I'd be pissed if we gave a guy like that $5M...

If you get 35 points + decent all around defensive play out of Namestnikov for $2.5M, vs 50 points and crap play in the defensive end for $5M, I take Vlad every time

Reactions: Bozle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->