Confirmed with Link: Alain Vigneault fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This was a lot to take in. I realize that he was just a kid & had an adult in a position of power manipulating him. I also realize he seems like a phenomenal coach. But damn. Why was he still associating with Frost in the late 2000's?

If they choose Keefe, they better be really damn sure of him. That's a lot of baggage.
This. Keefe has major issues. This idea that we know he's changed is just not something I'd really want to take a chance on with a team in transition.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The whole David Frost thing/baggage that Keefe "comes with" is really not that big of an issue.

If it was a big issue, he wouldn't have had the second career he has had. He got a second chance, which he has taken by the reigns and done very well with.

If you think his "baggage" is relevant anymore...wew. Great times linking to an article that is almost a decade old too. Real good.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I think saying "we want a fresh take for our new coach" and then hiring the guy who was the assistant coach for the worst defense would be some bizarre levels of wtf
But OTH, it would be a transition kind of thing. I think you def. need some kind of "inside info" and Ruff would provide that. IMO, it would help speed up the process. And btw, I don't care for Ruff much, but he supposedly is good with the "kids".

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I hope Ruff stays, the AV time here has little to do with him as a coach.

Reactions: egelband

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
The whole David Frost thing/baggage that Keefe "comes with" is really not that big of an issue.

If it was a big issue, he wouldn't have had the second career he has had. He got a second chance, which he has taken by the reigns and done very well with.

If you think his "baggage" is relevant anymore...wew. Great times linking to an article that is almost a decade old too. Real good.

I haven't made any pro or anti Keefe statements on this board. Another poster who was ignorant of the whole situation asked what all the kerfuffle was about, so instead of writing a ****ing novella, I posted a link that gave the basic gist of the situation - not sure why you have a problem with that.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think AV was quite happy with this decision, because Jeff Gorton say one thing, and do things differently concerning his new direction so the previous team goal for Rangers franchise was not even sustainable, or realistic as I guessed last year in October 2017-18 season based on the Stepan trade. If Sather want a new GM it`s a good time for that in the evaluation process this summer, because I`ve feeling honesty is an issue here.
You can`t have a team of professional players who have no idea what is going on behind the scene - since the GM selling off all good players for future picks and a good value return. I felt Jeff was not honest about the whole process since the beginning when he moved Stepan for future.
It`s easy to blame the coaching staff for not achieve the set goal for the 2017-18 season, but it was obvious to me last year with the team they had it was a goal which was unrealistic.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I think AV was quite happy with this decision, because Jeff Gorton say one thing, and do things differently concerning his new direction so the previous team goal for Rangers franchise was not even sustainable, or realistic as I guessed last year in October 2017-18 season based on the Stepan trade. If Sather want a new GM it`s a good time for that in the evaluation process this summer, because I`ve feeling honesty is an issue here.
You can`t have a team of professional players who have no idea what is going on behind the scene - since the GM selling off all good players for future picks and a good value return. I felt Jeff was not honest about the whole process since the beginning when he moved Stepan for future.
It`s easy to blame the coaching staff for not achieve the set goal for the 2017-18 season, but it was obvious to me last year with the team they had it was a goal which was unrealistic.
Maybe Bergevin is available? Or if we ask reaaaaaally nicely and beg maybe the Islanders can let us pry away Garth Snow??

Reactions: Ori and Inferno

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hitting on a point that I have hated about AV ever since I saw it in action in Vancouver. The constant turn the other cheek and stay away from anything that resembles physical play has made this team insipid and extremely easy to play against.

I don't if that's altogether true. There were some pretty tough characters on AV's teams in Vancouver. Our friend Tanner Glass was there for one, Kevin Bieksa, Rick Rypien. Some of them weren't everyday players maybe but they usually had some kind of nuclear option.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

Despite any goals that are stated for a 'PR purpose' like "PO's or bust!" or "Cup!" the GM knows his team has issues.

If a coach can demonstrate that he can adjust with the roster and keep his troops playing hard then that's one thing. AV demonstrated a complete inability to adjust instead. His team clearly stopped playing in many games. He didn't become the scapegoat for a poorly assembled roster. He paid the price for his own failures as a coach.

Reactions: Ori

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
This was a lot to take in. I realize that he was just a kid & had an adult in a position of power manipulating him. I also realize he seems like a phenomenal coach. But damn. Why was he still associating with Frost in the late 2000's?

If they choose Keefe, they better be really damn sure of him. That's a lot of baggage.

This is off-putting. I would be lying if I said this doesn’t affect my perception of Keefe.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This. Keefe has major issues. This idea that we know he's changed is just not something I'd really want to take a chance on with a team in transition.
Sure there is. He was a complete psychopath (along with Danton). Let someone else see if that has left him or not. The idea that the New York Rangers should be the redemption of Keefe is just not something I remotely believe in. Why was Frost at Pembroke games a few years back? Why was Frost still connected with Adam Keefe (of which Sheldon seems to have no problem with and just ignores)?

I don't see why we should be his redemption story. There are so many red flags with him, even now.

Considering the abuse that Frost allegedly put Sheldon through, I'd think he'd at least make it known that your brother and Frost are predators on the kids they wanted to train. Instead of staying silent.

Staying silent and just not talking about it when Frost was still out there preying on kids isn't exactly something to be OK with.

This is going to come off differently than I am intending it to but... what makes you the moral arbiter of what is right and wrong? Unless you were in Sheldon's shoes (which nobody but Sheldon was), how can you make some of these statements? It seems like you're taking a small amount of information and extrapolating it to fit a narrative that doesn't seem to hold water.

You acknowledge that Frost put S. Keefe through abuse. Do you know how bad that can permanently f*** someone up?

Here is the other thing that makes this odd: If I am understanding this correctly, Frost was acquitted of all charges in 2008.

As far as I can see, there are three potential scenario's here (with A being more likely): A. The abuse happened. Keefe stayed silent about the abuse as many victims of abuse tend to and you are assassinating the character of someone that was sexually abused. B. Frosts acquittal is correct, he never abused anyone and therefore you are assassinating the character of someone because they are staying silent about abuse that never occurred. C. I have misunderstood this whole scenario and look like a complete jackass (very possible).

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I think this is a bunch of BS and revisionist history.

Gorton clearly stated what they were trying to do last year with Stepan and before that with the Brassard trade. Just because it didn't work the way they hoped doesn't mean that he was dishonest about it.

I think you're trying to stir up trouble where there isn't any.

Reactions: Jeff Groten

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't if that's altogether true. There were some pretty tough characters on AV's teams in Vancouver. Our friend Tanner Glass was there for one, Kevin Bieksa, Rick Rypien. Some of them weren't everyday players maybe but they usually had some kind of nuclear option.
They did, but yet Boston had their way with them physically. And he actually seemed to discourage any sort of physical play here. Or standing up for your teammates.

Reactions: Captain Monglobster

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If a coach can demonstrate that he can adjust with the roster and keep his troops playing hard then that's one thing. AV demonstrated a complete inability to adjust instead. His team clearly stopped playing in many games. He didn't become the scapegoat for a poorly assembled roster. He paid the price for his own failures as a coach.
That is about right. The utter inability to put his team (and it's players) into the best position for success was damming.

Reactions: shinchanyo

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

That's part of the problem really. AV wanted a guy or two who were basically the dedicated tough guys and guys he's allow to retaliate or fight, but everyone else had to ignore that part of the game and if retaliation was needed, it was Tanner Glass's job, even if he wasn't on the ice. Guy punches you in the face and snows your goalie? Don't start a scrum, that's not your job.

It's just not really feasible to have a dedicated player or two for that though. A team where no one has each others backs except that one guy whos job it is to have everyone's back is just a weird situation

Reactions: Miamipuck and Bozle

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Despite any goals that are stated for a 'PR purpose' like "PO's or bust!" or "Cup!" the GM knows his team has issues.

Yes, I agree and AV did many questionable decisions as a coach as well, but AV team lack depth last season and it was so obvious. At least I ranked them far outside playoffs before that season started, - 2017-18 rooster would never achieve playoffs and we ended with an 8th pick in 2018 draft. And they did not try to tank at all including end of the season with both Lias & Chytil in the lineup. The current defense is the worst in NHL at the moment compare to other NHL teams, because both DeAngelo & Kevin S. are not strong defensive players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->