Alain Vigneault Thread

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Embarrassing display. There's a million threads to **** on AV. People do it in the Appreciation Thread of a guy that coached a team to the Stanley Cup Finals.
and is what third in all time victories for a franchise thats been around for 100 years?! Second all time in playoff wins coached. Hard to count lester patricks 32 which took him 13 years to accomplish. The cat Francis had 32 only one more than Vigneault.

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
I don't get the levels of vitriol on this board, given his success here. The guy can coach and is going to get snapped up in a heartbeat. Was his time done here given the level of rebuild? That position can be fairly argued. But that should not diminish the job he did here, getting us so close to a championship. You can do a lot worse than AV and that is what I am afraid of. Who's available out there that's a better head coach? Not Joel Quenneville, although Dave Tippett is a guy I would consider.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
tumblr_og7699DaGR1u1htblo1_540.gif

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
As a Cancuks fans reading this thread about his getting his team to the finals and giving the team its best offensive years in a long time I'm getting deja vu. A great coach for a team that had good leadership in place and guys that have already spend years developing, him being an offensive-minded coach means he got a lot out of the team in goalscoring but his defensive schemes were faulty.

AV still has a place in the game I feel, just not the right fit for most. I haven't followed his coaching decisions since he left Vancouver but I'm sure all the hate he gets is warranted, but I still have some respect for what he accomplished and the heights he got the Canucks and the Rangers to.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
and is what third in all time victories for a franchise thats been around for 100 years?! Second all time in playoff wins coached. Hard to count lester patricks 32 which took him 13 years to accomplish. The cat Francis had 32 only one more than Vigneault.
Well, they didn’t play four rounds of playoffs in the 20s. To be fair.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't get the levels of vitriol on this board, given his success here. The guy can coach and is going to get snapped up in a heartbeat. Was his time done here given the level of rebuild? That position can be fairly argued. But that should not diminish the job he did here, getting us so close to a championship. You can do a lot worse than AV and that is what I am afraid of. Who's available out there that's a better head coach? Not Joel Quenneville, although Dave Tippett is a guy I would consider.
I agree with the sentiment. But I’d also say there are things he could have done to extend his tenure and push the team to more success. Namely holding the leadership more accountable and adjusting his system to be a bit more plug-and-play. I think he has a great calm demeanor and encourages his players to play a mature respectable game. But he is also the main culprit for his demise. He could have turned things around but I think he was being stubborn. I don’t know. Just my take. I think he’s going to take a year off and then find a good situation. He’d be a good coach - as many have stated - for a team with already-entrenched leadership.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I don't like Tippett. Too old school, need to get away from that.

Need someone with a fresh perspective.

As a Giants fan still reeling from the Tom Coughlin/Ben McAddo fiasco....be careful with the above.

I get that the sexy move is to now have these young HC’s under 40 come in...but just Bc they are young and full of fresh ideas, doesnt make them the right hire.

Reactions: trilobyte

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
We had some amazing moments with AV behind the bench. Good luck to him. He won't be unemployed long. He is a good coach for a veteran team. But it was time for a change indeed! His pond hockey was a lot of fun to watch (not the last 2 years). Hopefully we don't go back to Torts blockey or a Renney D-only system.

Reactions: trilobyte and bl02

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I don't get the levels of vitriol on this board, given his success here..
Embarrassing display. There's a million threads to **** on AV. People do it in the Appreciation Thread of a guy that coached a team to the Stanley Cup Finals.
We also do it for a guy who likely cost us a cup,
- who got two wins further than Torterella did despite having a MUCH better roster,
- who frustrated us for years with arrogant, ignorant decisions across the roster,
- possibly cost us an "uncoachable" player who's killing it at a time we can't afford to lose talent,
- who irrefutably blew an entire PO series in Ott about as badly as any coach ever could
- and who lies through his teeth like an arrogant jackass bc he knows the media won't take him to task. (Like he did with that pathetic final presser)

So yea zambo, this is our way of saying "f*** him, there's not enough good for us to appreciate him over the bad".Not burning his effigy, not hurling batteries at him on the ice. Just airing out frustration on an internet message board (MY GOD HOW DISGRACEFUL!!!) There's literally nothing embarrassing at all about that. You just don't like it. Fine. That's your prerogative

Last edited:

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Instead he massively contributed to blowing the series. I appreciate that he perfected the art of being a clown without even needing face paint

I think it's likelier we would have that cup with a different coach as opposed to not making it to the Finals. That team was really good, underrated, but really good yet they played like a bubble team in the finals barely clinging on.

Reactions: shinchanyo

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
We also do it for a guy who likely cost us a cup,
- who got two wins further than Torterella did despite having a MUCH better roster,
- who frustrated us for years with arrogant, ignorant decisions across the roster,
- possibly cost us an "uncoachable" player who's killing it at a time we can't afford to lose talent,
- who irrefutably blew an entire PO series in Ott about as badly as any coach ever could
- and who lies through his teeth like an arrogant jackass bc he knows the media won't take him to task. (Like he did with that pathetic final presser)

So yea zambo, this is our way of saying "**** him, there's not enough good for us to appreciate him over the bad".Not burning his effigy, not hurling batteries at him on the ice. Just airing out frustration on an internet message board (MY GOD HOW DISGRACEFUL!!!) There's literally nothing embarrassing at all about that. You just don't like it. Fine. That's your prerogative

Yep. Everything most of us have felt for the past few years summed up in one post.

I'm starting to feel even worse about the Tampa trade. Namestnikov isn't even in the same stratosphere as Miller. And it seems like AV won out on that one and then he's fired a month+ later???

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Any real fan will be able to look at the big picture of what he did and see him as a good coach that just tailed off in the last few years. He helped us overachieve in 2014, and if it hadn’t been for a freak injury to Zucc in 2015, I honestly think we would have went on to beat Tampa and then the Hawks.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Any real fan will be able to look at the big picture of what he did and see him as a good coach that just tailed off in the last few years. He helped us overachieve in 2014, and if it hadn’t been for a freak injury to Zucc in 2015, I honestly think we would have went on to beat Tampa and then the Hawks.
Yup, and McD playing on one foot in the Tampa series.

Reactions: Jeff Groten

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad