Alabama-Huntsville terminates hockey program UPDATED 5/29 Program saved for 2020-21

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't disagree it would be cool, but it's unlikely.

Unfortunately I think College Hockey in the SouthEast is going to be a club-level thing at best. UAH folding hurts other schools chances as now theres no "close" opponent.
Oh, I think its highly unlikely. For it to ever happen you probably need schools which may see a bump in hockey popularity due to the Capitals recent success over the past 12 or so years to start opening up D1 programs (Georgetown, University of Maryland and UVA) before Duke would seriously consider it, and I've heard nothing of those schools considering it. They are still trying to get more Big 10 programs to join (which includes Maryland) which are in more traditional hockey markets (the University of Illinois, University of Indiana, Rutgers, etc).

Reactions: DaveG

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
35 years and maybe ten seasons where they were over .500 winning percentage. If they honestly cared, they would've done something to get a coach where players would have want to come. You might not see it as a gimmick at all and that's fine, but yours and my opinion doesn't count whatsoever. The ones who do are players who look for a collegiate programme to develop into and majority said no. It's funny because they supposedly went to an easier conference from the CCHA to the WCHA and in that time-frame got even worse.
I can tell you as someone who has worked in college hockey, Alabama-Huntsville was viewed as glorified club hockey. The way the whole program was run was very casual and it was not seen as a legitimate place for players to develop.

Also, if this program does continue to operate, which seems doubtful, it's going to be absolutely decimated. They lost their leading scorer at the end of April:

And now at least two other players have decided to move on without the fundraiser concluding:

Not the best optics.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Oh, I think its highly unlikely. For it to ever happen you probably need schools which may see a bump in hockey popularity due to the Capitals recent success over the past 12 or so years to start opening up D1 programs (Georgetown, University of Maryland and UVA) before Duke would seriously consider it, and I've heard nothing of those schools considering it. They are still trying to get more Big 10 programs to join (which includes Maryland) which are in more traditional hockey markets (the University of Illinois, University of Indiana, Rutgers, etc).
High Point (NC) and Kennesaw State (GA) are the only two in the region that I've heard serious, as in higher than preliminary talks about really getting a program off the ground. High Point is still looking at the opening of an arena for the purpose but nothing ever came of Kennesaw IIRC. UAH dropping and no real talk of any of the non-football Virginia or DC area schools getting a program going doesn't help.

I think someone mentioned one of the Tennessee schools looking at it as well in recent years but I haven't heard anything there personally outside this board.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
High Point (NC) and Kennesaw State (GA) are the only two in the region that I've heard serious, as in higher than preliminary talks about really getting a program off the ground. High Point is still looking at the opening of an arena for the purpose but nothing ever came of Kennesaw IIRC. UAH dropping and no real talk of any of the non-football Virginia or DC area schools getting a program going doesn't help.
Liberty University, not sure if they have funds to go DI, but they would be one of the most successful moves considering how popular their club team is. Them and Kentucky University.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

I think someone mentioned one of the Tennessee schools looking at it as well in recent years but I haven't heard anything there personally outside this board.

High Point announced they were adding a program within 10 years in September of last year and there hasn't been a single bit of information, from any source, since that announcement. Don't expect to see them any time soon. There have been plenty of schools that have announced their intentions to join DI hockey and then never come close to getting the funding they need. I wouldn't be surprised if WPU joins them.

Kennesaw decided to build their football program up instead of adding hockey. Like Alabama-Huntsville, they saw hockey as a flagship sport they could rule the region with instead of having to be considered second rate next to nearby schools let alone the entire region with a football program. They obviously decided that increased investment in football, I believe they are still trying to get accepted to FBS, was more worthy than hockey.

The only Tennessee school mentioned was Austin Peay because the Predators are championing a hockey rink that is being built in Clarksville, and Austin Peay's logo was pictured in the rafters. People obviously took that as a sign they are adding hockey, to which there has been absolutely no evidence other than the school logo being present in the artist's renderings. Clarksville Arena Funding Approved - Arena Digest

Reactions: DaveG

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
The Big 10 effectively killed the CHA and WCHA, highlighted by the fact Minnesota tried to destroy their recruiting pool a few years ago.

At the risk of getting off-topic, what do you mean by this? Very curious as to what you mean here. I'm not really up on this stuff, so it does spark some intrigue, IMHO.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
At the risk of getting off-topic, what do you mean by this? Very curious as to what you mean here. I'm not really up on this stuff, so it does spark some intrigue, IMHO.
Don Lucia backed a measure that would strip players of eligibility for extra years spent in junior.

In the finest “take our pick and go home” tradition of the program.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The problem now is if they're able to sustain it long-term, they might be out of a conference because seven teams of the WCHA have plans to restart the CCHA conference which excludes both Alaska teams and Alabama-Huntsville. Perhaps they can squeeze Alabama in, but that isn't looking too good for the Alaska teams.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The biggest thing for non-revenue sports is that teams actually collect more money from out of state tuition than the kick out in scholarships.

UAH’s problem was that their travel expenses weren’t manageable.

This is a very big issue for the growth of the college game. College hockey has always been dependent on bus leagues with a couple of notable exceptions.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad