Alabama Huntsville Cuts Hockey

Discussion in 'NCAA, U Sports, and other college' started by mk80, May 22, 2020.

1. nickp91 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The hockey community did a great job for the UAH program!

2. JMCx4 Gateway to Hockey

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Just trying to think outside the (penalty) box here ... If there is truly a sustainable public support base for men's hockey to continue @UAH, why wouldn't the advisory committee consider & possibly recommend (or maybe the University move independently to have) the Chargers revert to club sport status? I presume that would give the program more flexibility in its operations, reduce costs significantly vs. NCAA Div I, and afford the team an opportunity to join up with the SECHC teams to better fit the school's geographical reach. :dunno:

3. Barclay Donaldson Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Usually most club hockey programs exist entirely out of the control of the school. There are rules they must abide by, but generally the school gives them no support, no direction, and the club team is in control of everything they do. The other SECHC schools exist in the same manner except for maybe Georgia who are going to be allowed to play at the school's updated 5500-6000 seat theater/entertainment/sporting center.

mk80 likes this.
  4. JMCx4 Gateway to Hockey

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    And your first statement in bold is the original reason I thought of this option. Ardent hockey fans who want a men's team for the long haul can continue to provide emotional AND monetary support to the club team outside of University & NCAA oversight. It should cost them far less than $500,000 to fund the club team ops (I hope). And it truly becomes "our hockey team" for fans & benevolent donors to determine the long-term prospects of the club without the whims & priorities of higher level bureaucracies foiling them at every turn. I'm just trying to put some realism in the heads of those who believe that if you wish it to be then anything can come true. :yashin:

Barclay Donaldson likes this.
  5. JMCx4 Gateway to Hockey

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I was informed by a Hu'ville hockey fan that UAH already has a men's club hockey team in the SECHC. Somebody beat me to the idea. :oops:

6. Kingis Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Hello everyone! I did my part and bought one of the #saveUAHhockey t-shirts. I am rooting for you Chargers!

JMCx4 and AUS Fan like this.
  7. kij Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    In regards to many of those comments about club teams, at the ACHA D1 level, schools generally provide some forms of support. At Waldorf University (where I am currently a student) the players are all given $5,000 in grants and no team fees are charged. The head coach is a full-time salaried employee, ice time, travel, etc are covered. I know Midland University and Concordia Ann Arbor all have similar arrangements. As you go down the rabbit hole into ACHA 2 and 3 there are many student-run organizations that survive solely on team fees and fundraising. Coaches are generally part-time, volunteer status, or graduate students looking to get their start in coaching.
    If UAH were to drop to club status, they would be best served to move the team into D1 status (schools with NCAA hockey are prohibited from joining ACHA D1, save for any program which was grandfathered in; see WMU). Many programs can make it work with 2 ACHA programs and the school might be able to maintain a few holdovers from the NCAA team if they were to drop down while still honoring scholarships.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  8. SemireliableSource Liter-a-cola

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    EMU? Do you mean WMU? EMU doesn’t have varsity hockey. Better examples would be Arizona State or Penn State. Both are obviously now NCAA D1 and retain their ACHA D1 teams. But, yeah, UAH’s club team would not be allowed to go to ACHA D1 unless the varsity program ceases to exist

9. Barclay Donaldson Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Are you positive? Mercyhurst, Niagara, Canisius, Cornell, Western Michigan, RIT and RMU all have ACHA D1 teams that weren't grandfathered in. Some of those schools have had varsity hockey since well before the ACHA was even founded, so that wouldn't make sense.

Agree with you entirely, except PSU does not have a ACHA D1 team, only a ACHA D2 team.

10. kij Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Crap my bad, WMU. I confused them so many times. I will fix that. Funny thing is, the WMU club team is not allowed to use the school's normal moniker, the "Bronco", instead having to use the name "Stallions."

If they had a club program before the ACHA added that rule, they got grandfathered in. Mercyhurst's current incarnation of the club team has existed since the formation of the ACHA.

Barclay Donaldson likes this.
  11. Hasbro Can He Skate?! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Drone
    Furthermore, I’ve always felt like it’s a breach of etiquette for fans to pull that HF Business board “don’t deserve a team” shit amongst college hockey fans.

12. mk80 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Hockey Play-by-play
    Probably expected regardless of the fundraising but still

13. CrazyEddie20 Learn the business, dopes!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Goaltender/Bar Hopper
    No coach there has had any administrative support since Danton Cole left the last time the rumors of the program being snipped were going around.

And for all the talk of Huntsville being such a great hockey city, the "great fans" show up for cheap beer and bad fights in the SPHL and don't realize that during their best years, UAH would have waxed the Havoc. Maybe not in recent years for the Chargers, but an average Division I team would beat most SPHL teams.