Alabama Huntsville Cuts Hockey

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The UAH Chargers have had some uncertainty about their program's future in recent years, both internally and externally with the WCHA coming to an end after this season, today their program met the chopping block.

And in related news it may not be the only program cut we see:

Last edited:

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I called this back when the "new CCHA" teams announced their intent to leave the WCHA. I knew it would happen. That was, to me, the only logical outcome.

A sad day for hockey. RIP Chargers.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
One word ... :(

Even worse ...

My guess would be the Alaska schools, who have both had internal questions about their future, and face the same situation of losing their conference. Not to mention even tougher travel arrangements than UAH.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Half jokingly, I can think of a school in New York that could use a coach and an entire team of players. Maybe some refugees end up there if LIU actually starts this fall.

Reactions: BOS358 and mk80

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
My guess would be the Alaska schools, who have both had internal questions about their future, and face the same situation of losing their conference. Not to mention even tougher travel arrangements than UAH.

Sadly, I'd put money on this.

Reactions: mk80

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Some NCAA fans have said that there were too many teams. Product had become diluted.

I have never heard this from a single person. Everything I have heard written as been the exact opposite and the lack of NCAA DI teams has resulted in the product becoming increasingly good because of the extremely limited number of teams. There are increasingly more NHL-drafted players choosing to play in the NCAA every single season and just as many sought-after free agents signing out of school.

College Hockey Has a Talent Glut, but Nowhere to Grow
https://thehockeywriters.com/college-hockey-trailblazing-acha/
NHL Bankrolls College Hockey Expansion As Youth Game Explodes | News Break
NCAA eyes expansion with interest from Illinois, Pitt - TheHockeyNews

In fact, I can't find anywhere any source that has said there are too many teams in NCAA DI hockey or the product has become diluted. In fact, it is the exact opposite. If you care to back up your claim, I would like to see it.

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Half jokingly, I can think of a school in New York that could use a coach and an entire team of players. Maybe some refugees end up there if LIU actually starts this fall.

Not joking at all, Mike Corbett knows how to run a program with no budget and that is the type of coach they would need to get off the ground (assuming they can.) That said, I'd be surprised if he wants to go from one shaky situation to another. Especially in these times, people want job security, and a college hockey team with no money, players, or home ice doesn't exactly seem like a good fit.

BOS358

Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Well Don Lucia and the goofs didn't like all those teams that upset him in the tourney getting good players.:sarcasm:

Thanks for reminding me of that. It was hilarious to see him try to change the rules because some big, bad, unknown school from Albany that doesn't offer scholarships beat the poor little Goofers.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
UAH might have survived with the CCHA schedule if it was still in existence (would've consistently been the worst team though), but I suggest that the Alaska Universities would've always suffered long-term considering they had to travel to the midwest America every other weekend. Honestly, they should look at joining the USports BC conference if there is one. Makes much more sense then doing the WCHA schedule.

Some NCAA fans have said that there were too many teams. Product had become diluted.
Only says Golden Gopher fans lol.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I think it would be great to see UAA and UAF in a Canadian league.

BCIHL would be a huge step down in quality even for a team barely making the WCHA playoffs.

I think Canada West would be a good landing spot for them but there would be huge changes in scholarship structure, eligibility rules, etc. Not to mention, a lot of the roster could/would be likely to transfer to another NCAA team with the discontinuation, on paper at least, of the hockey program in the NCAA's eyes.

Travel would still be less than in the WCHA obviously but Canada West spans east all the way to Winnipeg which is still over 2000 miles/4000 km from Fairbanks. The good news is that the games not played against other Canada West teams are localish lower level BCIHL/ACAC teams. Occasionally teams will play NCAA teams in exhibitions but those usually come with at least a little monetary incentivization.

Even if the University Alaska combines athletics into one program, they could pull off hockey in Canada West if U Sports was willing to grant them affiliate membership but that all hinges on if the University/Universities even want to bother.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I have never heard this from a single person. Everything I have heard written as been the exact opposite and the lack of NCAA DI teams has resulted in the product becoming increasingly good because of the extremely limited number of teams. There are increasingly more NHL-drafted players choosing to play in the NCAA every single season and just as many sought-after free agents signing out of school.

College Hockey Has a Talent Glut, but Nowhere to Grow
https://thehockeywriters.com/college-hockey-trailblazing-acha/
NHL Bankrolls College Hockey Expansion As Youth Game Explodes | News Break
NCAA eyes expansion with interest from Illinois, Pitt - TheHockeyNews

In fact, I can't find anywhere any source that has said there are too many teams in NCAA DI hockey or the product has become diluted. In fact, it is the exact opposite. If you care to back up your claim, I would like to see it.

It was over on the USCHO Fan Forums a few years ago. Like I said it was some.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
It was over on the USCHO Fan Forums a few years ago. Like I said it was some.

There are more NCAA DI schools that sponsor rowing and women's water polo. The NHL realized this and started the push with sponsored feasibility studies. Too many teams? Certainly not, there isn't anywhere near enough teams.

NCAA DI hockey has lost more members than it has gained since 2000. The talent pool has exponentially increased in both quality and quantity in recent years because of the increased efficiency of Canadian Junior A and American Tier 1/2 juniors. Look no further than the top 10 or so NCAA DIII teams which are interchangeable with bottom-tier NCAA DI teams as proof of the talent pool having burst at the seams a long time ago, and it is now running over. Increasing numbers of NHL-drafted players choosing the NCAA over major junior, increasing number of college free agents signing NHL contracts and improved facilities to the point where there are less than a dozen schools that play in a rink they don't own or off-campus. The product is too diluted? Certainly not, the product is stronger at this point in history than at any other point.

Whoever on USCHO boards said either of these things was ludicrously wrong.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
There are more NCAA DI schools that sponsor rowing and women's water polo. The NHL realized this and started the push with sponsored feasibility studies. Too many teams? Certainly not, there isn't anywhere near enough teams.

NCAA DI hockey has lost more members than it has gained since 2000. The talent pool has exponentially increased in both quality and quantity in recent years because of the increased efficiency of Canadian Junior A and American Tier 1/2 juniors. Look no further than the top 10 or so NCAA DIII teams which are interchangeable with bottom-tier NCAA DI teams as proof of the talent pool having burst at the seams a long time ago, and it is now running over. Increasing numbers of NHL-drafted players choosing the NCAA over major junior, increasing number of college free agents signing NHL contracts and improved facilities to the point where there are less than a dozen schools that play in a rink they don't own or off-campus. The product is too diluted? Certainly not, the product is stronger at this point in history than at any other point.

Whoever on USCHO boards said either of these things was ludicrously wrong.

I don't follow NCAA hockey close enough to know if the product has become "diluted". Maybe fans of certain traditional powerhouses see other teams taking top recruits and don't like that.a

I did counter argue that NCAA expansion would help the sport's popularity. Unlike Canada people in the US tend to really stick with their alumni.
UNLV, UCLA, Florida or Miami would be great.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I don't follow NCAA hockey close enough to know if the product has become "diluted". Maybe fans of certain traditional powerhouses see other teams taking top recruits and don't like that.a

I did counter argue that NCAA expansion would help the sport's popularity. Unlike Canada people in the US tend to really stick with their alumni.
UNLV, UCLA, Florida or Miami would be great.

Understandable. Fans of traditional powerhouses do tend to blame everything but the coaching staff, athletic administration and players whenever they stop experiencing success.

Reactions: S E P H and Rob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->