Al Strachan doing his best Larry Brooks imitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Or is it the other way around? Anyway, looks like NHLPA has managed to hire them both, this is the latest masterpiece to leave Strachan's laptop, obviously written under the influence of a huge Kool-Aid overdose.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2004/12/03/764078.html

The two dumbest hockey journos have picked their sides, I'm glad I'm on the other side of the fence. I'm just waiting for Garrioch to publicly support NHLPA to make it official, I mean the holy trinity of idiots can't be wrong.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Pepper said:
Or is it the other way around? Anyway, looks like NHLPA has managed to hire them both, this is the latest masterpiece to leave Strachan's laptop, obviously written under the influence of a huge Kool-Aid overdose.

The two dumbest hockey journos have picked their sides, I'm glad I'm on the other side of the fence. I'm just waiting for Garrioch to publicly support NHLPA to make it official, I mean the holy trinity of idiots can't be wrong.

i didnt see anything wrong in this column. whats your point ?

dr

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
My point?

The point was that Al Strachan is so pro-NHLPA that it's not even funny anymore. When he calls Bill Daly and other NHL personell "domesticated orcs" you can tell that Strachan is not even trying to be objective in this issue.

Nothing but NHLPA propaganda, just like the last 20 or so articles from Larry Brooks.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Pepper said:
My point?

The point was that Al Strachan is so pro-NHLPA that it's not even funny anymore. When he calls Bill Daly and other NHL personell "domesticated orcs" you can tell that Strachan is not even trying to be objective in this issue.

Nothing but NHLPA propaganda, just like the last 20 or so articles from Larry Brooks.

thank god we have objective people like you to set us straight.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Pepper said:

Well, anyone who watches HNIC knows that Stachans a doorknob.

I like this line: "Most reasonable people who saw the PA's last offer thought it merited serious consideration by the league. But it didn't get it.

Bettman and his domesticated orcs scanned it, looking for a salary-cap proposal. Seeing none, they tossed it aside.
"

I'm not sure if he intends to be taken seriously.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
DementedReality said:

dr

demented, strachen said, "Most reasonable people who saw the PA's last offer thought it merited serious consideration by the league. But it didn't get it."

he should have augmented that comment to say most reasonable, anti owners, anti salary cap, totally in the bag for the big spending leafs thought i merited serious consideration. that last proposal was not remotely helpful to the owners.

your point of view is obvious and that is fine, but it doesnt mean that we are any closer to a deal.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
txpd said:
demented, strachen said, "Most reasonable people who saw the PA's last offer thought it merited serious consideration by the league. But it didn't get it."

he should have augmented that comment to say most reasonable, anti owners, anti salary cap, totally in the bag for the big spending leafs thought i merited serious consideration. that last proposal was not remotely helpful to the owners.

your point of view is obvious and that is fine, but it doesnt mean that we are any closer to a deal.

i wasnt discussing if we were close to a deal, i was mentioning i didnt see anyhting wrong with his column.

secondly, i dont share your opinion on the merits of the 1st proposal and that doesnt make me wrong either just because you and others say i am wrong. we have different opinions on the subject.

dr

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
hockeytown9321 said:
thank god we have objective people like you to set us straight.

I think what is funny in this whole mess is where the media sits on the issues. All of the local print media that gets national attention, to my knowledge, is completely dominated by big spending/big markets. New York, Toronto, Detroit most specifically. To my knowledge the only print media that gets any national attention that is not based out of a big spender market with a anti salary cap tilt to the writing is Kevin Paul Duponte in Boston. He is basically on furlough til there is any sign of a season.

There is little media that tilts toward the smaller market teams unless its in canada and in alberta. the small market usa hockey market newspapers have basically shut its hockey coverage down and reassigned its writers.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
DementedReality said:
i wasnt discussing if we were close to a deal, i was mentioning i didnt see anyhting wrong with his column.

secondly, i dont share your opinion on the merits of the 1st proposal and that doesnt make me wrong either just because you and others say i am wrong. we have different opinions on the subject.

dr

no it doesnt make you wrong. i dont see how you could possibly think that the owners would so easily dump their need for a salary cap and if you dont think they would then what is the merit of the proposal?

I will admit to tilting toward a salary cap, but i look at the situation with a neutral eye. before i believe there will be a deal, i need to be sold on why either the PA or the owners will give in on their main demand. Salary Cap or no Cap. I dont care how good the proposal may seem for either side, before anything goes anywhere i need to know why one side or the other is going to sell out its salary cap stance.

no one does that. that first proposal certainly doesnt do that. its a none starter.

Jazz

I gave up on Hockey Night in Canada's Hotstove League because he was on. As a columnist what he does is throw a million rumours out there, and when 1 or 2 actually come to fruition, he makes it out like he knows all.

Another example of his pro-player stance:
Everyone you hear virtually anyone (including former players like Ray Ferarro and current NHLPA prez Trevor Linden), they have stated that there will be further restrictions on Entry-Level salaries (this has also been in the 2 proposals that the media have suggested (Brian Burke during the Wolrd Cup and the TSN Solution by Bob McKenzie about 2 months ago). Well, Strachan is the only person to have advocated that Entry-level salaires should have less restrictions.. :shakehead

He is on Vancouver radio for a 30 minute slot once a week, and mostly I'll humour myself and listen for about 5 minutes and then finally turn him off.. :banghead:

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DementedReality said:

dr

Wrong? Maybe, maybe not. Depends entirely upon your personal bias. From a purely journalistic standpoint it's a farce. Strachan doesn't even attempt journalistic objectivity in this piece.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
dedalus said:
Wrong? Maybe, maybe not. Depends entirely upon your personal bias. From a purely journalistic standpoint it's a farce. Strachan doesn't even attempt journalistic objectivity in this piece.
Um, he's columnist. He writes OPINION pieces.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Pepper said:
My point?

Your talking PROPAGANDA....try looking at TSN, or Sportnet...there is ALL the Owner propaganda you'll ever need. They just trying to get the OTHER side to the audience. The side that TSN and Sportnet either hides but never putting it as a headline or they dont post altogether.

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Um, he's columnist. He writes OPINION pieces.
Um, we judge all columnists on their ability, even in opinion pieces, to evaluate both sides evenly and fairly. They may agree with one side, but their task is to present their case in a manner which demonstrates objectivity and balance in their decision making, not bias and favoritism.

When they fail to do this they are no longer journalists. They are Rush Limbaugh and Anne Coulter.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
dedalus said:
Um, we judge all columnists on their ability, even in opinion pieces, to evaluate both sides evenly and fairly. They may agree with one side, but their task is to present their case in a manner which demonstrates objectivity and balance in their decision making, not bias and favoritism.
Baloney.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Your talking PROPAGANDA....try looking at TSN, or Sportnet...there is ALL the Owner propaganda you'll ever need. They just trying to get the OTHER side to the audience. The side that TSN and Sportnet either hides but never putting it as a headline or they dont post altogether.

Such as? I have seen them reporting what is happening without really commentating whos right/wrong in the CBA war.

I'm sure you're going to provide examples of this....right?

NYIsles1*

But the players want to make the point to the owners that if the league gives greater priority to teams like Nashville, Florida and Carolina than to teams like Toronto, Detroit and Philadelphia, then it's time to rethink the priorities.
Bottom line many of these writers want their favorite teams to be able to sign big name stars. That's their first priority.

They could care less about the fact Philadelphia and Detroit lose revenue or how the business does. It's not their problem, they want big name free agents to write about.

What none of these writers want to talk about is the NHL in the United States with Philaelphia, Toronto and Detroit having the priority has failed miserably. Hockey is no longer considered a major sport.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I thought the piece was very well thought out. The real battle pitches owner vs. owner, so of course a reasonable NHLPA strategy is to attempt to drive a wedge between them. Gary Bettman may have orchestrated strong veto power, but by no means is that fortress inpenetrable.

SENSible1*

Most reasonable people who saw the PA's last offer thought it merited serious consideration by the league. But it didn't get it.

Tells you all you need to know about Strachan. The last offer was a complete joke. If it was reasonable, why is the PA now offering significantly more in their latest proposal?

I'm with the first respondent. All we need now is for Garrihack to come out on the PA's side and the circle of idiots is complete.

I thought the piece was very well thought out. The real battle pitches owner vs. owner, so of course a reasonable NHLPA strategy is to attempt to drive a wedge between them. Gary Bettman may have orchestrated strong veto power, but by no means is that fortress inpenetrable.

Well thought out? Sure thing.

The real battle will be the top salaried NHLPAers, their agents and the PA executive vs the rank and file members whose careers and jobs are being put in jeopardy by the PA's short sighted stupidity.

There will be no wedge between the owners. It is in all of their best interest to bring the PA to heel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad