Al Montoya stats, concerns??

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by HabLover, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. HabLover

HabLover Registered User

Home Page:
    Montoya let in 5 goals in two periods last night, is there anything to be concerned about with this guy heading into the WJC?

2. Mess

Mess Global Moderator

Home Page:
    As a strong supporter of Team Canada at the WJC .... I see no problem here :D

3. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers ordinary corrupt human love Sponsor

corporate drone
    Was there any concerns over MA Fleury when he got lit up vs the USA?

Every goalie has a bad game now and then.

4. NYRangers

NYRangers Registered User

His stats aren't that great but the whole team (even with their record) hasn't been playing great. I'll wait to see how he looks at the WJC to get realy concerned.

5. Barnaby

Barnaby Registered User

Even the best have terrible games every now and then... Even Brodeur and Belfour have bad games so I wouldn't be too concerned...

6. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager

I think it's a classic case of a team (and players) going through the motions, knowing that most nights they'll come out on top. I find it hard to believe there isn't a consistant effort, but it happens from time to time. I think Montoya will be fine.

7. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

I saw one game earlier and he was excellent. Looked like a guy who has everything to succeed. His team was decent that game too. They are extremely talented as a whole, that's for sure.

It's very possible that he had an off night but I'd like to see it for myself. If they were crappy goals that he should have stopped, it's a lot different from amazing goals where he had no chance.

8. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

from all accounts, minnesota just dominated michigans skaters and montoya was hung out to dry...

at any rate, i'm not really concerned...montoya doesn't suddenly have less skill than he did before and he's playing against the same type of players he did in his past years. i'd be more concerned if he goes to hartford and struggles there a lot.

and it does seem like michigan is underachieving in a way, even though they're ranked highly. they seem to be a bit of an enigma, never know if they're gonna really show up each night

9. bruins4777*

bruins4777* Guest

Just my opinion, but i think montoya is very overrated. I mean sure he had one hell of a WJC and is a workhorse no doubt, but i just think that compared to other great goalie prospects around he isn't that great. I don't think he'll ever be a franchise goalie, a no.1 goalie with all-star potential. Just from what i've seen and my opinion.

Also, basically what everybody's been saying is true. Every goalie has a bad game.

10. NYR469

NYR469 Registered User

Home Page:
    even after the bad game montoya is 9-3-1 with a 2.67 gaa, .893 save % and 1so

before that game he was 9-2-1, 2.40, .901, 1so...

if he puts up those type of numbers at the WJC, then USA has a great chance to defend their title...i don't think there is any reason to be worried

11. HabLover

HabLover Registered User

Home Page:
    if he puts up 2.67 gaa and .893 at the WJC I would be worried! :help:

12. Kubera55

Kubera55 Registered User

Just curious, but I've seen this sentiment posted repeatedly here on the HF boards, and no one every explains why.

Montoya is big. He has elite athleticism and endurance. His reflex's, particularly his feet, are top shelf. He's a puckhandler and he's got a history of playing up for big games (most notably the WJC).

Basically the only negative I've ever heard about him is that his team is so dominant that he's the beneficiary of 'tilted ice'. But how can that make him overrated? I mean, is Brodeur overrated because he consistently plays behind a strong Devils team? Was Roy overrated because he played behind a dominant Colorado franchise for all those years? How about Belfour racking up wins behind perennial playoff contenders Dallas and Toronto? I mean, does that make any real sense to you?

Compare Montoya to M.A. Fleury and Kari Lehtonen, and I'll cede the field. Those goalies have the same, or better physical tools and more consistent resumes (to go along with similar resumes). But the next group? What is he missing that those guys have?

13. X-SHARKIE

X-SHARKIE Registered User

Home Page:
    Wisconsin Beat Montoya and Michigan 3-1 last night, but thanks to Montoya it was only 3. Wisconsin had two 5-3's in a matter of minutes early in the 1st, and Montoya stood on his head for along time in that game.

Michigan might have a veteran team but they don't play like one, there defensive game needs alot of work, but that gives Montoya a lot of work.

I wouldn't be concerned.

14. SpaceGhost79

SpaceGhost79 Registered User

Michigan played the Wisconsin game with out captain Eric Nystrom (sick) and leading scorer T.J. Hensick (BENCHED). Ballsy move by Red Berenson, but he said he isn't happy with Hensick's lack of defensive effort (he was on the ice for Minnesota's first three goals). He said it's a hard way to send a message, but hopefully it's one that gets through.

Montoya held up his team against Wisconsin. First goal was a bad turnover by U-M right in front of their net... nothing he could do. Second one I believe was a power play goal, centering pass for the slam dunk. Again, not much he could do. Third goal was shorthanded... wrist shot from between the top of the circles that simply beat him top corner... that was one he should have had.

Michigan's struggling now... even Berenson's first words in his press conference after the game were along the lines of, "The fans are right. We are overrated." But the Wolverines have traditionally been a second half team for whatever unknown reason. They go home for winter break and they come back a whole new team.

As long as they aren't ranked #1 again, I don't care. The #1 ranking in college hockey has been a jinx all season starting with Michigan's season opening loss to Northeastern. Minnesota can have it :)

15. Broadway Brett

Broadway Brett Registered User

.893?!?!?!? WTF?!?!?!?!?!? That sucks for the 6th pick in the draft! I've seen Montoya five times this year, and I've thought that he has been horrible. I agree with bruins4777, he is vastly overrated. IMO, he should have been picked late second round/early third. But then again, I don't believe in taking a goalie in the first round unless you know that he will be a Martin Brodeur/Patrick Roy type of goalie.

16. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

honestly if he sucked as bad as you think, then he wouldn't have been picked where he was. as much as people want to think they know so much better than scouts, i just dont' think it works that way. the rangers didn't pick him just randomly or because of hype or because he likes the rangers...they picked him because they thought he was a very good player, their scouts said he was a very good player, and i'm sure they watched a ton of his games to determine that he's a very good player

he's not having a good year, the entire michigan team is inconsistant and struggling, but that doesn't abolish everything he's shown up to this point either. he's still had very good games this year and he has shown that he has a ton of skill, it's just not a good year so far, but it's far from over either.

17. LaVal

LaVal Registered User

Plumber
    Home Page:
    out of the 1st/2nd round goaltenders in 2004, none of them have really spectacular stats thusfar.

Al Montoya - 2.67 GAA, .893 SV%
    Devan Dubnyk - 2.57 GAA, .911 SV%
    Marek Schwarz - 3.06 GAA, .883 SV%
    Cory Schneider - 2.13 GAA, .909 SV%
    David Shantz - 2.89 GAA, .912 SV%
    Justin Peters - 2.76 GAA, .908 SV%

18. bruins4777*

bruins4777* Guest

Well i'm not a big montoya or fleury fan. I kinda like montoya, but then everybody made him seem like the next amazing brodeur, which i don't think he'll match.

Personally at the most montoya will be an all-star, but to me lots of people are making it seem like he'll be a franchise goalie and i don't think he can do that.

From what i've see his reflexes, puckhandling, size, etc. "raw skills" are above average, but to me not close to lehts or fleury. Sure he's clutch and all, but look at his resume. He's only ever had ONE dominant performance. Look at lehtonen. Dominated a league of men in the finnish league since 17, then dominated on arguably the worst AHL team in the league, then exceled in his brief NHL stint, also not to mention his great WJC performances. Also lets not forget on team finland at the world cup, he beat out vesa toskala for the backup job. toskala is a proven nhler who put up an outstanding 93 percent save percentage while the sharks were struggling and nabokov was injured/struggling. This all speaks volumes about lehtonen's play at many different situations. On montoya's side you have him being out performed by supposed "lesser" prospects in jordan sigalet and one great WJC performance.

I don't think the "tilted" ice thing matters at all to me. If you ever get into an argument with me about brodeur being overrated, because of the trap i will always defend brodeur as being the controller of that trap, his puckhandling and stick work are the reasons he faces so few shots not the defense as much, but thats anotehr argument. Sure montoya does great in those situations, but to me college isn't up to the kind of competetion the finnish elite league is and maybe even the QJMHL.

You mention other guys, ok i've boasted about my fav lehts enough ;) Look at hannu toivenen. He has a history of playing for underdog crappy teams (his finnish team was very poor, team finland at the recent WJC was considered to not even win a medal, providence bruins) yet he has constantly put up outsnading numbers. The reason he was drafted at the end of the first round, was because people said he didn't have a solid history of great winning to fall back on.However comparing toivenen to montoya playing wise i see toivenen as better. I mean he's faster, better reflexes, more poised, and is overall a better goalie. Toivenen is currently dominanting the AHL (94.1 save %) on a mediocre team. Sure montoya has that amazing endurance and is doing pretty good on a great team, but to me it just seems like his skill set and him as a goalie is overblown by one great performance.

What other goalie prospects outside of lehts, toivenen, and fleury do you mean? Personally in terms of the tracks they are heading now. I think lehts and toivenen will defeninently be better than montoya, but fleury might reach the same level as montoya if he can't over come his bad head.

19. bruins4777*

bruins4777* Guest

Personally i heard a lot about how montoya was supposed to be great when facing either a small amount or a great amount of work. Which is why i'm believeing even more so that he's overrated. He's on a team where everybody is collapsing, shouldn't he do great? Nope he's sucking it up.

Brodeur against the sens in the playoffs 2003 he was facing regularly 30 plus shots a game but played great.

Roberto Luongo regularly faces 35 shots a game, 2wice 50, over 20 times 40.

Kari lehotnen played against the eventual calder cup champions and faced over 40 shots a game in a 6 game series and even faced 60 shots once in a tripple overtime game and maintained a 94.4 percent save percentage in the playoffs.

Marc andre fleury at the begining of the pens season, lets just not bring up his huge fall out, in the first 9 games he faced an average of 37 shots a game and had an outstanding 94 percent save percentage...of course this later dropped to a 89 percent something, but then again fleury sucks. :lol:

Hannu Toivenen faces an average of over 32 shots a game but has a GAA of around 1.9 or 1.8 and a save percentage of 94.1

These are only a few examples, i know i'm forgetting others, but the point is truly great goalies should be able to play great whether they are facing a few or a lot. Especially a guy like montoya who is billed to be some great clutch goalie.

20. ndhockey21

ndhockey21 Registered User

Montoya is on a bad Michigan team this year. He really has no support. They havent played anyone good before this weekend. They werent ranked on the name basically

21. NYRangers

NYRangers Registered User

Wow, have you seen him play this year? Obviously not, everyone that has (even a few in this post) have said he's playing well. From SEEING him, not stats.

22. bruins4777*

bruins4777* Guest

Sure he's played well. But honestly, its obvious that he isn't playing incredible to constantly keep his team in games like many of the other goalies i've named.

23. dawgbone

dawgbone Registered User

I caught the friday game against the Gophers. He didn't get chased from the game, he got pulled to save him.

It was 4-1 after 1, and Minnesota scored early in the 2nd to make it 5-1. If he was chased, it would have been then, but they left him in and took him out at the end of the 2nd (probably because Michigan wasn't going to comeback).

The only goal I would have considered weak was the 5th one... a wrister from the point through a screen... he was back too far in his net. The other 4 goals were on rebounds and scrambles.

24. Broadway Brett

Broadway Brett Registered User

Actually, Don Malony said that that was one reason they picked him.

And I don't think that he sucks, I just think that he isn't as good as people think he is. I think that Montoya has tons of potential, I just don't think he is as good as people say he is at this moment. It's just my opinion.

25. HabLover

HabLover Registered User

Home Page:
    Well, to start with, none of the those guys were picked #6 overall. Dubnyk at #14 has better numbers than Montoya, is a year younger and is playing on a horrible Kamloops Blazers team that has no defence! As for Schwarz, well, let's not get into that! Schneider is also a year younger that Montoya and has decent numbers to start this year. Shantz and Peters are both 2nd rounders and shouldn't really be compared to Montoya.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.