Kings Video: Al Michaels on the Kings (among other things)

clankfu

Jun 14, 2012
Bill Simmons podcast with Al Michaels talking the Kings Cup run

They talk Kings for over 20 minutes and it's pretty good stuff. They also talk about Doughty during the Michael Jordan portion at around the 54 minute mark.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Definitely good stuff. I did enjoy that during the Miracle on Ice discussion that Simmons said they're currently producing a 30 for 30 on the 1980 Olympics but from the Russian players' point of view. I think he said they're aiming for a Fall release.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
Great stuff! I like the story of how Doc Rivers was Dr. Buss's first choice to succeed Phil Jackson but he had already signed with Boston. Had Doc known that Jerry Buss was eyeing him he would of most likely been coach of the Lakers. I liked the fact that every conversation always somehow refers back to the Kings :handclap:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The first 29 minutes of this is Al MIchaels talking about his love for hockey, the Kings (his 23 years as a season tix holder) seeing the win the Cup, the game 7's, how the sound of the crowd was great, he really loves the sport and the team.
He also talks about calling the 1980 Gold Medal game and the technical work he was called to do when Miracle was made. He said they wanted him to 'redo' that last 30 seconds and he refused and held his ground saying it was battle he was not going to lose. Good for him. He also said sometimes (as an announcer) the best thing you can do is not speak, let the moment speak for itself.
I didn't watch the rest, but he's always a good talker and has great introspect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron*

I never knew he was such a fan. Always loved hearing his voice on Monday and/or Sunday Night football. Such a great play-by-play announcer.

His experiences in the Chicago series echoes mine. Jesus, I was wrung out after that game. Wrecked.

Even though three SCF games went into OT, they were against NYR and I always felt a quiet confidence in those games. But not Chicago. Always felt we were going to lose both game 5 and 7, thankfully I was wrong about that.

Alec Martinez is a god.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Dan Patrick brought out a different Quick in that interview. Pretty hard to do that, he's always so straightforward with his responses & cliche hockey answers. Dan Patrick brought out a different side of Quick, he tends to do that to people he interviews.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
:laugh: You gotta love it! He's just so fired up! They keep trying to get him to talk about something else. But, he just keeps bringing in back to the Kings! This must be how my friends and family feel...

I remember watching him doing sunday night football one night and he made some random reference to the Kings in the middle of the game. A player made great play and he goes something "He made a fantastic play. Like Anze Kopitar makes fantastic plays for the Los Angeles Kings" I was cracking up! It was such a stretch and so random. But, it felt like he just HAD to get that in!

I've heard him reference the Kings a few times on Sunday Night Football.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad