OT: Akimel 7 sports/entertainment development planned

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Craig is, who Craig is. I think he does an overall fine job and as @MIG said, he's sensitive to his "insider" status, doesn't want to lose it. Without him, we wouldn't get daily insights on the team.

At the same time, we get more Coyote insider info from Biz on a single SC podcast than we do from the NattyHatty in a year. Biz' snippets are great, usually from the past regime, which keeps him out of trouble, but always great stories!

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Craig Morgan's niche is not "breaking news", he's an excellent writer and story-teller. Now that he's free to do whatever the hell he wants at the athletic you can see the majority of his stories are personal interest pieces about people and the inner workings of the organization. I find most of them pretty interesting, and I'll never really expect to find breaking news in any of his work.

As mentioned above, you can clearly tell he wants to protect his access to the team. He knew something (a lot, a little?) about what was happening with the sale to Meruelo but kept commenting on how often people had broken the news before it was set in stone. It's easy to recognize that he does have a few connections and insider knowledge because he often confirms what is not true, but he protects that limited access by never being the first to confirm what is true out of fear of jumping the gun.

Reactions: awfulwaffle

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think some "insiders" worry that if they write about something the team wants kept confidential then they will lose insider status. Which is probably not a legitimate worry. He's probably just not a very good investigative journalist.

The whole move to a respected outlet like the Athletic was supposed to remove this excuse. Your options are limited as someone constantly on the chopping block at a local rag but now that he is entrenched he still wraps himself in the warm, comforting blanket of his old ways. If guys that don't even follow the team and aren't based locally are capable of giving a better understanding of the sole team you cover, are you really an 'asset' to anyone other than management?

It's easy to recognize that he does have a few connections and insider knowledge because he often confirms what is not true, but he protects that limited access by never being the first to confirm what is true out of fear of jumping the gun.

This is why it's important to cultivate a wide network of contacts so that you can ping things off of multiple trusted sources.

Reactions: MIG

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
The whole move to a respected outlet like the Athletic was supposed to remove this excuse. Your options are limited as someone constantly on the chopping block at a local rag but now that he is entrenched he still wraps himself in the warm, comforting blanket of his old ways. If guys that don't even follow the team and aren't based locally are capable of giving a better understanding of the sole team you cover, are you really an 'asset' to anyone other than management?

This is why it's important to cultivate a wide network of contacts so that you can ping things off of multiple trusted sources.
You're absolutely right about how he could go about changing his role, but he seems to have no desire to be the Elliotte Friedman of the Coyotes. I think he wants to write human interest pieces and he does a good job in that niche.

Anybody who is posting on forum40 is a fan(atic) who is desperate for any tidbit of Coyotes news they can get which is probably why Morgan has such a poor reputation around these parts. The moral of the story I'd try to impress upon the board is to not get mad when your cat doesn't bark like a dog.

Reactions: Kaizen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad