Value of: Akil Thomas

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
With the Kings having so many Centers in their prospect pool. What would the Rangers have to trade to acquire Akil Thomas?

Maybe he can fill the 2C role in the near future.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Its a year too early to check on the value of Kings prospects. They have a whole lot of talented kids, but they are relatively the same age and only Vilardi has dipped his toes in the NHL, much less the AHL.

The Kings most likely won't move any prospects until they have a better handle on what they actually have.

Thomas projects as a wing, and his complimentary style of play could just as easily translate as to chemistry with Byfield as it does a 3rd line role. No reason at all to move him.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the Kings move next years #1, but I doubt any prospect among the Kings top 10 or 12 gets moved for at least a year.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Rangers fan and Not sure what he’s worth honestly but Watched the replay of the 2020 wjc final last night and boy was his winning goal a beauty. He barely played that game and scored a huge goal.
I would hope Chytil is a better player and has more potential to fill that 2c spot than Thomas

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
The Rangers don't need more prospects. They're going to need to find a place to play them all with the AHL situation looking pretty bad.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Like others have stated, I don't see the Kings moving any prospects. They're not at the point of the rebuild to where they know who is going to be a core player.

Regarding Thomas, he's the type of player the Kings are looking to build around. He already possesses the maturity to understand where his work ethic is and where it needs to be. He has stated that he is willing to play anywhere that will help the team. He even played defense when his team needed him. He is the type of player that I can see wearing a letter at the show

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
How about something like Akil Thomas and Carl Grundstrom or Kale Clague or even a second round pick for Nils Lundkvist? Thomas is in the next tier of forwards after the big three for LA and is highly coveted by Kings’ management.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
What's wrong with you people ?

The OP clearly stated IF Thomas would be traded, what could be a reasonable return.

We all know he isn't going to be traded right now, we don't need your eternal wisdom for that
If we don't talk if's and when's in a trade forum we can close that dang thing.

So if you don't have anything trade related to say don't post in here.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
the only "trade" that makes sense to me is Thomas and Kurpari for a young Drew Doughty replacement

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
If I had 2 drew doughtys and no center depth it would tempt me a little. Is it a overpayment yes but thats what it would take to me

I don’t think Kupari holds nearly as much value as you think he does at the moment.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What's wrong with you people ?

The OP clearly stated IF Thomas would be traded, what could be a reasonable return.

We all know he isn't going to be traded right now, we don't need your eternal wisdom for that
If we don't talk if's and when's in a trade forum we can close that dang thing.

So if you don't have anything trade related to say don't post in here.

I think what everyone is saying with those comments is it's hard to establish what his trade value would be because of all of those moving parts. It would likely take an overpayment because 1. the organization is really high on him, and his development trajectory is consistently up; 2. we don't know what he really is yet; 3. we don't truly know what many around him are yet, i.e. who is expendable and who's not; 4. because of 2 and 3 our obvious current needs are blue chip d prospect and blue chip g prospect but that can change as soon as this year once things coalesce a bit.

If someone can make an offer for a blue-chip D or G prospect involving Thomas coming their way I'm all ears but I don't see anyone jumping up to do that, they'd have to be exceedingly high on Thomas.

Reactions: kilowatt

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
I think what everyone is saying with those comments is it's hard to establish what his trade value would be because of all of those moving parts. It would likely take an overpayment because 1. the organization is really high on him, and his development trajectory is consistently up; 2. we don't know what he really is yet; 3. we don't truly know what many around him are yet, i.e. who is expendable and who's not; 4. because of 2 and 3 our obvious current needs are blue chip d prospect and blue chip g prospect but that can change as soon as this year once things coalesce a bit.

If someone can make an offer for a blue-chip D or G prospect involving Thomas coming their way I'm all ears but I don't see anyone jumping up to do that, they'd have to be exceedingly high on Thomas.

I could see Thomas being the second piece in a blue chip prospect trade. Our first round pick next year plus Akil Thomas might garner interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad