Confirmed with Link: Akil Thomas signed to 3 year ELC

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Play another year in the OHL next year, and he won't be a RFA until the summer of 2023. By then, all the current crap except Kopitar and Doughty will finally be gone, one way or another.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think he'd rather start getting paid.

That's nice for him. The best thing for the franchise is to keep him under his ELC for as long as possible. If he makes the team next year, that's fine. If not, that's also ok. I would say it's better that he doesn't. Can he play the last 10 games this year and get a year knocked off his contract? Unless Blake guaranteed that, I doubt that happens.

My guess would be that there won't be a spot for him to win on next year's roster. Only time will tell though.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
That's nice for him. The best thing for the franchise is to keep him under his ELC for as long as possible. If he makes the team next year, that's fine. If not, that's also ok. I would say it's better that he doesn't. Can he play the last 10 games this year and get a year knocked off his contract? Unless Blake guaranteed that, I doubt that happens.

My guess would be that there won't be a spot for him to win on next year's roster. Only time will tell though.

No, his team is going to be in the playoffs.

As far as being on the roster next season, I seriously doubt it, he's just not ready, whether he gets a serious look will depend on what he does in the off-season, who is still around and what the other young players have done (Anderson-Dolan, Rempal, Luff etc) as they will only give young guys so many jobs, this doesn't even take into consideration the potential Top 5 pick.

Last edited:

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

The best thing for the franchise is for him to fully develop and that may be in the CHL, but the team should not be focusing on contract manipulation over development.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If you could redo the 2018 draft Akil would probably get taken in the 1st round.

We basically got two 1st round caliber prospects in the last draft.

Many were surprised he dropped at the time, as well, so it's not just revisionist history or a surprising bump after draft year.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Congrats to the young guy, he’s had an outstanding season. I’ve got no issue with him returning to the CHL next year.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Seems like a good kid, I like his drive to the net and his stickhandling is phenomenal. If you don't know, he had a Youtube channel and would post videos of him and his friends playing shinny hockey and messing around with his GoPro, here's a link to his channel: Akil Thomas

He owns a Toews Blackhawks jersey but I won't hold that against him :P Interesting to watch!

Or you can just watch him put a fishbowl on a helmet :laugh:

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
He's always been a great passer, but i'm happy to see he stepped up his goal scoring this season. Hopefully he can be a top line center for the Kings.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
If you could redo the 2018 draft Akil would probably get taken in the 1st round.

We basically got two 1st round caliber prospects in the last draft.

And JAD may have been a 1st rounder in 2017 draft re-do. The Kings have actually drafted better, last 4 years.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Really pulling for this kid to be a steal in the 2nd round. I hope he carries his "gonna prove them wrong" attitude to the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad