News Article: Akil Thomas - For Our Legacy

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
This is awesome. Akil seems to have a great head on his shoulders and looks like he's going to be a pretty good NHL player to boot. In case some people are unaware, I'll also link to his Soul on Ice podcast, and specifically his interview with Byfield.

Is that the first or second interview (Sorry don't have time to listen now)?

Byfield gad a great chirp at Akil in the first, before Byfield was drafted

Reactions: BringTheReign

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’ve followed him closely since we drafted him as he has always interested me. He’s going to be an important culture guy in the team going forward and could easily be a future A if not a C.... a very smart, self assured guy.

Yet warm and welcoming, rather than abraisive or in-your-face about his beliefs.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Is that the first or second interview (Sorry don't have time to listen now)?

Byfield gad a great chirp at Akil in the first, before Byfield was drafted

This was in October after Byfield was drafted, but I'm not aware of an earlier interview ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Of all the players in ONT this year, it seems like Thomas has been on the end of the most physical punishment so far. He's been tackled, mugged, and hit from behind quite a bit. Doesn't have the skill of the top guys but he gets dirty. Just wished he deal some back but that's not his game.

Not sure who's play style he resembles. Maybe somewhere between JW and Lewis?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Of all the players in ONT this year, it seems like Thomas has been on the end of the most physical punishment so far. He's been tackled, mugged, and hit from behind quite a bit. Doesn't have the skill of the top guys but he gets dirty. Just wished he deal some back but that's not his game.

Not sure who's play style he resembles. Maybe somewhere between JW and Lewis?

I know it's sacrilege but I think that's a good one. I've been using the JDub comparison for a while, especially with the willingness to get his nose in there. Maybe not quite as spicy or with that 70+ pt ceiling JW had which is where Lewis comes in.

Reactions: Eagle Fang

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
I know it's sacrilege but I think that's a good one. I've been using the JDub comparison for a while, especially with the willingness to get his nose in there. Maybe not quite as spicy or with that 70+ pt ceiling JW had which is where Lewis comes in.

100% agreed. With so much skill in the prospect pool, it's good to start seeing more of that compete aspect in some of the prospects. Dolan is showing good things along with a bit of skill and hopefully Thomas can follow suit. I'm with you in that I think his offensive potential at the NHL level is below JDub, but above Lewis. If he can become a 20-40pt, bottom-6 player who brings the compete, I'd be thrilled.

Definitely rooting for him.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Interesting the bit about questions relating to Thomas’ character in his draft year, obviously nonsense. It kind of parallels some of the questions raised about Byfields IQ...

I love this kid, he will be a solid bottom 6 guy that can play up and down the lineup as needed. Hopefully he gets a couple of games this year.ll

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Interesting the bit about questions relating to Thomas’ character in his draft year, obviously nonsense. It kind of parallels some of the questions raised about Byfields IQ...

I love this kid, he will be a solid bottom 6 guy that can play up and down the lineup as needed. Hopefully he gets a couple of games this year.ll

At this point in hockey culture "character questions" is simply code for "wasn't raised on a Canadian farm."

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
We have a lot of these guys coming in the future, can play and have some skill but ooze character. When I see people offering Jack Eichel, I really don't want to offer any of them, despite Jack being team USA and having elite skill. Single players of elite skill often disappear in the playoffs when the other team's best defenders smother them. But character players often show up in the playoffs with big plays coming even from the 3rd and 4th lines.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad