AJ Greer

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I'm a fan.

He has a little bit of Tom Wilson to his game. We have been lacking that toughness, size and grit all season long. Someone to add some sandpaper.

I have been saying it all season long. We are too easy to play against. We are skilled upfront but undersized. Aside from Landy and Calvert we have no grit up front.

I think he is playing himself into a role next year. We need a few more guys like him and guys like Dries, Andrighetto, Bourque need to go and Nieto needs to be on the 4th line getting no more than 6-8 minutes a night.

If Greer can develop and Kaut is ready we could have some nice bottom 6 guys who can actually make an impact and make us harder to play against.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
His status in the lineup will always be in question as long as Bedsy is behind the bench.

But I agree with your list of players that need to go. We're so soft up front, almost as soft as the days when we had Arnason, Wolski, Hensick and all of their ilk floating around the ice all night.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Ya that 4th line looked good last night. Surprised it took this long to get Toninato back when at worst he's a stabilizing defensive presence. I thought Sven looked pretty good too, and would like to give him a look up the lineup. Like swap Sven for Kerfoot or Nieto.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
His status in the lineup will always be in question as long as Bedsy is behind the bench.

But I agree with your list of players that need to go. We're so soft up front, almost as soft as the days when we had Arnason, Wolski, Hensick and all of their ilk floating around the ice all night.
I don't think Bednar will hold him back if he plays assertive like he did last night though. Its up to him whether he finds a way to bring that game often enough to win over Bednars trust.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ya that 4th line looked good last night. Surprised it took this long to get Toninato back when at worst he's a stabilizing defensive presence. I thought Sven looked pretty good too, and would like to give him a look up the lineup. Like swap Sven for Kerfoot or Nieto.

Dude finally looked comfortable out there. I don't think it was a coincidence he had his best game as an Avalanche player the night Toninato centers him.

But yes, if he keeps playing like that he will have a spot in the lineup going forward.

Speaking of Toni, wasn't it you that has brought him up lately like wtf haven't they tried him? Well lately as in like a month ago now, but..

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Speaking of Toni, wasn't it you that has brought him up lately like wtf haven't they tried him? Well lately as in like a month ago now, but..

It probably wasn't me...I had kinda given up and thought the organization was getting ready to phase him out. I do hope there isn't some prevailing notion that he needs to be better offensively...the organization knew damn well what kind of player they were likely getting when they signed him. I suppose we'll see.

I still can't believe the guy dressed for 37 games with the Avs last season. I do not remember him being in that many.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It probably wasn't me...I had kinda given up and thought the organization was getting ready to phase him out. I do hope there isn't some prevailing notion that he needs to be better offensively...the organization knew damn well what kind of player they were likely getting when they signed him. I suppose we'll see.

I still can't believe the guy dressed for 37 games with the Avs last season. I do not remember him being in that many.

He was quietly good last year. Had 0 offensive punch but he really brings a good stable defensive presence that our bottom 6 sorely lacks.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That doesn't prevent him from being more talented than half the forwards who've laced them up for this team over the past few seasons :dunno:

Like who? Rocco Grimaldi is the only guy who played last year that Greer is better then, Dano and maybe Dries are the only two this year.

He had a good game last night, but good game for his standard really is still borderline NHL quality.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yeah whoever mentioned it brought up his fit as a 4th line center beyond what the marry go round we had was doing. I agreed with it, but it was a small thing in all of the other issues with the lineup.

I think most of us knew the impact of losing Kam was underrated though. We really did need someone who could actually play that role. I know everyone is ready to fire Ghetto into the sun but I didn't think he was the problem on that line. As the fast shoot first dude on a line with two guys who can play a heavy game hes not quite on as much of an island now. We'll see how it works moving forward but Greer has more skill than given credit for and Toni can focus on defense.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Like who? Rocco Grimaldi is the only guy who played last year that Greer is better then, Dano and maybe Dries are the only two this year.

He had a good game last night, but good game for his standard really is still borderline NHL quality.

I mean hes still developing and showing signs of why some of us liked him at the NHL level is a positive. Kind of harsh IMO considering it is a young player who still has some upside and steps he can take.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
The few games I caught of his hes usually stood out in a good way. last night was the best I've seen
I don't get why he gets so little TOI, he does take penalties sometimes. Toni should have been up for awhile, like most of you say hes got zero O skill but, good on the D side.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I wish I could have caught the game last night, it sounds like he finally felt comfortable at the NHL level, and grabbing a primary assist as well hopefully will boost Bednar's confidence in him. From what I could tell on the radio he has getting ice time in the third unlike in games past (although we did have the lead which is unusual).

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I wish I could have caught the game last night, it sounds like he finally felt comfortable at the NHL level, and grabbing a primary assist as well hopefully will boost Bednar's confidence in him. From what I could tell on the radio he has getting ice time in the third unlike in games past (although we did have the lead which is unusual).
Legit felt like he played more then the 6 minutes the stat sheet said. He was very noticeable last night and made a great defensive play on Connor in the second period after numb nuts Nemeth iced a puck that didn't get called icing.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Nothing has changed for me on Greer. He still doesn’t have enough talent to ever be more than a 3rd rounder but that doesn’t mean he isn’t valuable. He showed last night his value in a bottom 6 role.

He needs a lot of coaching. He needs to improve his first couple of steps and he needs to learn to stay out of the box (unless somebody else is going with him) in order to be a valuable bottom 6er.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Legit felt like he played more then the 6 minutes the stat sheet said. He was very noticeable last night and made a great defensive play on Connor in the second period after numb nuts Nemeth iced a puck that didn't get called icing.

I kind of think you guys have been a little rough on him in this stretch lol. Pretty much every game I seen small things I liked. Some of his passes, and reads were fairly obviously outside of his line-mates capabilities. Which sort of put him on an island at times.

I expect any player that hasn't gotten a real long look with real ice time to have some tentative shifts, especially in his case where a mistake seems to cost him more than most. Hes not a high end guy so there is/was bound to be an adjustment period. It just made sense, but boy people started taking a dump on him. Part of me thinks those frustrations stem from other things regarding our organization and development lol

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I kind of think you guys have been a little rough on him in this stretch lol. Pretty much every game I seen small things I liked. Some of his passes, and reads were fairly obviously outside of his line-mates capabilities. Which sort of put him on an island at times.

I expect any player that hasn't gotten a real long look with real ice time to have some tentative shifts, especially in his case where a mistake seems to cost him more than most. Hes not a high end guy so there is/was bound to be an adjustment period. It just made sense, but boy people started taking a dump on him. Part of me thinks those frustrations stem from other things regarding our organization and development lol
I'm no Pierce. I actually like Greer and has wanted Jared to play him for some time lol. I really cant stand Bork.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I really like Greer too. I understand he can take some penalties and I think I'm pretty okay with it to an extent because of the way he plays the game and how most of the penalties are going to occur. He can play this game like a grade A pest. He gets involved in scrums and will take some penalties but I imagine he'll probably draw quite a few as well due to it.

Last night just watching him smile and laugh while acting like a dick make me so happy. It's been a long, long time since we've had a guy go out and create havoc and relish that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->