Confirmed with Link: AJ Greer signs 1-yr deal

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I suspect this is Greer's last chance to make an impression. I can see him being traded at the deadline or not qualified if he doesn't have some sort of NHL impact.

Reactions: klozge and shadow1

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I suspect this is Greer's last chance to make an impression. I can see him being traded at the deadline or not qualified if he doesn't have some sort of NHL impact.

Yeah, I like Greer and wish he would have got more of a shot, but at this point he's going to have to have some bounces go his way. And by that I mean some injuries.

He'll likely be the 14th forward in a healthy lineup, and the Avs don't usually like to keep that many guys. I don't see him jumping ahead of established guys like Nieto and Calvert, and I think Kamenev's puck skills keep him ahead. I'm not expecting much out of Wilson next year, but I doubt they send him to the AHL.

His incentive to do well in pre-season and camp is probably so he can get picked up by another team on waivers, when the Avs eventually send him down again.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think based purely on the fact of waivers, he and Kam are the ones in competition for the 13th forward spot. I actually think 13th forward would be good for him - he has already proved he can succeed in the AHL - I think just being around the team and practicing with him would be best for him. And maybe through that he can start to earn the coaches' trust and get into some games. I really hope he makes it as a 4th line guy (maybe full time in that role next season), but I won't be heartbroken if he's put on waivers and claimed elsewhere.

So in my mind, Kam should get first shot as an injury fill-in, but if the fill in is going to play on the 4th line anyway, I might prefer to put Greer there. In terms of fit, I see Kam more as a top 9 guy.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
BSN has an interesting take on Greer in their latest podcast.

AJ is clearly a fan of his. And I have to agree if he can put it together he would be a great asset to the roster.

He has size, grit and hockey sense. Deserves a fair shot.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think based purely on the fact of waivers, he and Kam are the ones in competition for the 13th forward spot. I actually think 13th forward would be good for him - he has already proved he can succeed in the AHL - I think just being around the team and practicing with him would be best for him. And maybe through that he can start to earn the coaches' trust and get into some games. I really hope he makes it as a 4th line guy (maybe full time in that role next season), but I won't be heartbroken if he's put on waivers and claimed elsewhere.

So in my mind, Kam should get first shot as an injury fill-in, but if the fill in is going to play on the 4th line anyway, I might prefer to put Greer there. In terms of fit, I see Kam more as a top 9 guy.

I'm hoping Kam plays his way into the top 9. He's got a lot of talent, just needs to stay healthy and develop more.

Reactions: MarkT and Foppberg

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I was rooting for Greer but I would be very surprised to see him outplay some of the other guys he's competing with. It's a lovely problem for us to have, but I feel for him

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
I was rooting for Greer but I would be very surprised to see him outplay some of the other guys he's competing with. It's a lovely problem for us to have, but I feel for him

He needs to believe, working hard, there are possibilities for him on a third or fourth line, but he needs to take care of the next opportunities he will get.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
My thoughts are that it probably is gonna come down to Greer/Kamenev for that last spot where Kamenev would have to have a really awful showing to not win the spot.

And then Greer gets sent down and if he passes waivers(He most likely does), then I would think Dries actually proves to be the first callup with possibly even LOC being ahead of Greer.

Unless we get some camp/preseason injuries in which case maybe Greer or Kamenev both stay up to start the year and play some games and maybe force the Avs into a move.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->