Prospect Info: Aidan Fulp and Travis Mitchell have agreed to terms on ELCs

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Fulp is nominee for collegiate defenseman of the year. 6-3 205 pounds. Maybe they got a sleeper here.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Fulp is nominee for collegiate defenseman of the year. 6-3 205 pounds. Maybe they got a sleeper here.
Better order the extra-long mattress.

Seriously, though, it makes sense to sign big defensive D types at this age. The org will probably know next year whether theyr'e AHLers, tweeners, or possible NHL players.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Both are big, Fulp is right handed which is organizational need. Seems only looking at stats they are stay at home guys, Mitchell has interesting plus minus numbers. Honestly these are types of college free agents that make it usually.

Also to add I’d imagine both join Bridgeport on ATO contracts

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Much needed RHD depth. I like these from an organizational standpoint. Hopefully these two can see the NHL one day.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Maybe we'll be the new Nashville. Develop defensemen and then trade them for forwards.

Reactions: NYI365

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

Aidan Fulp, D, Western Michigan (NYI) -- March 31​

The New York Islanders landed two of the better remaining defensemen in the free agent market that thinned out quickly. Fulp is a bit of a throwback defenseman who defends especially well, keeps a tight gap and can lower the boom when needed. He also makes a good first pass, but no one would confuse him with a dynamic puck mover.

Fulp is 23 years old, comes in at 6-foot-3, 209 pounds. He uses that frame to his advantage and skates well enough to close quickly on opposing forwards. He didn't make my top free agents list, but it's not hard to see why teams were interested in Fulp after his three seasons at Western Michigan. There's still space for heavy defenders in the NHL.

Part of two NCAA tournament teams at WMU, Fulp had 13 points in 2021-22 and 15 in 2022-23. He could have returned for his senior season, but with a number of other NCAA free agents moving on, might as well strike while the iron is hot. Fulp projects as a bottom-pairing possibility down the road, but more conservatively ends up being more organizational depth. He's worth an ELC to find out where that ceiling ultimately is.

Travis Mitchell, D, Cornell (NYI) -- March 31​

I've always thought Cornell plays NHL-playoff style hockey where defense is at a premium and they'll out-big the more skilled, quick teams. That is part of what makes Mitchell so intriguing as a defensive add for the New York Islanders, who also added another top defender in Aidan Fulp on the same day.

Mitchell has the size to play the heavy style that is such a hallmark of Cornell Big Red hockey. It will serve him well as he tries to make it to the NHL. At 6-foot-3, 201 pounds, Mitchell wins his share of battles at the net front and along the walls. He makes intelligent decisions with the puck and showed a little more offensive upside this season. He had six goals and 19 points, which was a career best.

Mitchell missed an entire year of hockey due to the Ivy League shutting down athletics for 2020-21, but it did not seem to deter his development. Mitchell has a chance to be a low-lineup defenseman who is used in tough matchups and can play on the PK. He's not an exciting prospect, but he has NHL traits which is why multiple teams were in on him as a blue line option.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Both big defense first guys on each side. Maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle. Most likely both will be developmental products in Bridgeport.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Mayfield Replacement? Possibl trades this summer? I mean we already have Hutton, Wotherspoon, Bolduc, Cholowski...even Wild...overdue LaDue...Salo...Krygier...Maybe I didn't get the memo and these others really suck?

I can't imagine us signing this much depth without NHL roster moves incoming for the offseason.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Mayfield Replacement? Possibl trades this summer? I mean we already have Hutton, Wotherspoon, Bolduc, Cholowski...even Wild...overdue LaDue...Salo...Krygier...Maybe I didn't get the memo and these others really suck?

I can't imagine us signing this much depth without NHL roster moves incoming for the offseason.
I think Mayfields gone , Hutton is on a one-way deal next season so it could be his job to lose being that he's a right hand shot and has developed into someone that should be useful in the 3rd pairing slot . I havent heard much about him this season since coming back from whatever his injury was that kept him out for the start of the season .

I like that theres the B'port isles and the ECHL team to move players up and down from . It gives the team more options to have icetime for everyone .

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think Mayfields gone , Hutton is on a one-way deal next season so it could be his job to lose being that he's a right hand shot and has developed into someone that should be useful in the 3rd pairing slot . I havent heard much about him this season since coming back from whatever his injury was that kept him out for the start of the season .

I like that theres the B'port isles and the ECHL team to move players up and down from . It gives the team more options to have icetime for everyone .
Does seem like the organization is insulating themselves accordingly. Lol... the meltdown some on this board will have.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I’m happy that the Isles have signed these guys.

Now that I have that out of the way, let’s talk about Mayfield. He’s had a good but not great career thus far and has performed above the expectations of his second round draft pick pedigree. The Isles will very likely be worse off short term if he bolts after this season. I expect Lou will resign him though some here (possibly me) may not like the terms.

Expecting one or both of these college UFAs to fill his shoes is pure fantasyland. If even one of them becomes a 7/8 NHL Dman in the future that would be a win.

Reactions: periferal

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

As someone who watches Bridgeport but is not a scout I don’t see Hutton as nhl defender as regular. He will be 28 and to me is what he is, maybe a depth guy who can play a few games but will get exposed the longer he plays.

Reactions: periferal

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

The free agency front for our organizational blueline looks as follows:
UFAs - Mayfield, Wotherspoon
RFAs - Bolduc, Wilde

Cannot see Wilde remaining.
Bolduc being re-upped is a given.
At the moment, my feeling is that both Mayfield and Wotherspoon remain.

These 4 names aside, the Isles have 12 other Dmen on contract through no less than next season (yes, including LaDue). One of them is Odelius, with whom there is plenty of flexibility.

No drafted defensemen prospects (most prominantly George) need to be signed this summer.

Krygier (and Pivonka) are only in BPort on ATOs at the moment. Most likely is that they end up signing a 2-way AHL deals similar to what Bibeau and Coskey signed a few years back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad