AI-based security screening technology debuts at Boston's TD Garden, along with new bag policy

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BOSTON —
Security screening technology from a Waltham-based company made its debut over the weekend at TD Garden in Boston, along with a new bag policy that appeared to catch many fans by surprise.

The bag policy, which took effect on Saturday, limits attendees to bags that are roughly the size of a postcard. The limit is 6 inches long, 4 inches tall and 1.5 inches thick.

Exceptions will be made for bags from the Boston Proshop, diaper bags and medical needs, the fine print states. Fans with bags that don't comply will be instructed to check their items for a $15 fee with The Mobile Locker Company on Legends Way.

While the bag policy took effect on Saturday, when the Boston Bruins played the Los Angeles Kings, it was posted by the venue across social media platforms on Sunday.

"Wow. Great work on the advanced notice of what will be wildly unpopular and inconvenient new policy for customers," said one response on social media.

Numerous responses questioned the practicality of such a small bag.

"Here's hoping my EpiPen can fit in something that small," said one response on social media.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
What can you even put in a 6x4 inch bag?
Certainly not an epi pen, diabetes stuff, inhalers, pads and tampons.

I get security and all that but unless you’re going to provide free feminine hygiene products in the bathrooms or have a pharmacy on standby, they need to allow larger bags.

I was in Rafters tonight and I had my purse searched but no one said a word about the size. Which is 2 inches wider than the allowed bag.

Reactions: Ladyfan

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
I have a plastic pro shop bag from buying my Pasta jersey last year, since they allow bags from the pro shop, I’ll throw in one of the free T shirts they give us and voila: compliance with the new procedures….chances are they will catch on to the ruse before the bag wears out?:sarcasm:

Reactions: Alicat

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
One of the Garden ushers that I know said that the bag policy has been a giant clusterf*ck so far. Lots of angry women getting denied entry with bags that used to be allowed but are now considered to be too big.

People that are regulars at Bruins and Celtics games will adapt, but the occasional concert goers are not going to know that their previously allowed bag is now too big.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Time to invest in large coats with plenty of good sized pockets.

Stay away from AI, please. The less of it in our normal day to day lives, the better. Have we not learned as a species by watching literally every single sci fi movie ever made what happens when AI is introduced into society?

Reactions: bbfan419

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
One of the Garden ushers that I know said that the bag policy has been a giant clusterf*ck so far. Lots of angry women getting denied entry with bags that used to be allowed but are now considered to be too big.

People that are regulars at Bruins and Celtics games will adapt, but the occasional concert goers are not going to know that their previously allowed bag is now too big.
If you're just an occasional concert goer isn't it good practice to check, or at least double check what's allowed and what isn't? Especially nowadays.

Reactions: McGarnagle

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
If you're just an occasional concert goer isn't it good practice to check, or at least double check what's allowed and what isn't? Especially nowadays.
The obvious answer is yes but not everyone thinks to do that even though it is the logical thing to do.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I hope the backlash leads to an open an honest dialogue about the need for certain items in the ladies room, free of charge.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah I'm not a fan of the AI direction this world is heading in. Even dumb things like the app where it can draw whatever you say. I know some people will say "it's fun, what's the big deal" but It's a can of worms I would've never wanted to open in the first place.
Agree 100%
This is pretty much every technology released since the internet...and every time people like us been right. It seems super useful but will be weaponized and used for nothing but bad. Stealing identities, taking jobs from people, spreading false information, and increasing our lack of privacy.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don’t know any woman that brings a big bag to any venue nowadays. It’s an hassle and too heavy to worry about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad