Injury Report: Aho

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
That's good news on Aho's knee, but the team is pretty much out of it right now as it stands, so it probably doesn't matter that much. Darling isn't going to give them good enough back-up goal tending, Ward, while he's played fairly well, has shown us over the years he can't carry the whole load and the team has shown they aren't good enough in most phases of the game overall.

Canes are likely going to have to get 95+ points to get a playoff spot and with or without Aho, there's no way this team is going 20-10-5 (or something like that) over the rest of the season. I get the mentality that they are only 3 points out, but they'd have to surpass 3 teams in order to get that last spot, and as of right now, all 3 of those teams are playing better than the Canes. There's still some glimmer of hope, but it's just a flicker at most.

We'll be 7-8 points out of it shortly, and then will become one of the hardest teams to play against right after that, only to come up slightly short of the playoffs. Because we the Canes tell the same story every year.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Generally they don't travel with the team if they're exhibiting any concussion symptoms, right? So the implication is those symptoms have subsided, but his knee is still bothering him enough to warrant a few more games of rest. Good news.

That's my understanding - travel, especially flight, is never a good idea when one's still symptomatic of a concussion.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I remember reading up on it a while back when one of my sons had a concussion and we were going on a trip not too long after. I don't think there's any medical protocol that says you can't fly / travel with a concussion (or before you passed concussion protocol). What I recall reading is that for some people, they felt worse when flying with a concussion and for others, there were no issues, although I wouldn't want to risk severe turbulence. I'm no expert on it though and that was just doing some google searches a while back. If you remember, they flew Skinner back to Raleigh (from Florida?) when he was having concussion symptoms last year and it ended up being just a sore neck.

Still, you have to think they'd leave him home if he was suffering any significant concussion symptoms so I view that as good news.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Your arms tire?
ba_dum_tss_pirates_band_of_misfits.gif

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I remember reading up on it a while back when one of my sons had a concussion and we were going on a trip not too long after. I don't think there's any medical protocol that says you can't fly / travel with a concussion (or before you passed concussion protocol). What I recall reading is that for some people, they felt worse when flying with a concussion and for others, there were no issues, although I wouldn't want to risk severe turbulence. I'm no expert on it though and that was just doing some google searches a while back. If you remember, they flew Skinner back to Raleigh (from Florida?) when he was having concussion symptoms last year and it ended up being just a sore neck.

Still, you have to think they'd leave him home if he was suffering any significant concussion symptoms so I view that as good news.

Didn't it also happen with Lack last year where he thought he was over the concussion, flew to Tampa, and then became symptomatic again (thus leading to the infamous Jorge Alves as EBUG game?)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Didn't it also happen with Lack last year where he thought he was over the concussion, flew to Tampa, and then became symptomatic again (thus leading to the infamous Jorge Alves as EBUG game?)
This is correct if I remember right. IIRC there was talk that he had taken a puck in practice or something like that as well unless I'm remembering the wrong Lack concussion from last year. God knows there were like 4 of them.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
This is correct if I remember right. IIRC there was talk that he had taken a puck in practice or something like that as well unless I'm remembering the wrong Lack concussion from last year. God knows there were like 4 of them.

I think the puck in practice is what caused the initial concussion. But yeah it's hard to keep track of Lack's concussion history last season.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Aho on the ice again today. That's good news, because sometimes when guys skate after an injury and/or concussion, it doesn't go well and they are not back the next day. Peter's comments yesterday:
"He's coming along," head coach Bill Peters said after practice. "We'll see how it goes. It's going in the right direction. Hopefully he's not that sore tomorrow that he can go back out tomorrow and skate, whether it's in the pregame skate or on his own."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->