Speculation: Aho, Hurricanes discussing contract extension

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
7.5 million is my guess.

He is that good but I don't think he has the track record yet to demand that kinda money. I feel it would be better for him to play another season, maybe prove himself at C before signing a new contract. Obviously the Canes want to lock him up long term ASAP.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He is that good but I don't think he has the track record yet to demand that kinda money. I feel it would be better for him to play another season, maybe prove himself at C before signing a new contract. Obviously the Canes want to lock him up long term ASAP.
if the Canes want to sign him "long term ASAP" then they'll pay more than more than his track record dictates

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
He was Carolinas best player at 20y and potential #1C next season, he could ask that but somehow you get the feeling with Aho that this will be a beauty.

Being the best player on a talented but young team , especially one that didn't make the playoffs isn't what dictates contract the most(imo). Production and comparable players are more of a factor in determining value.

I personally don't see him getting 7.5 , I don't think it's impossible, as you pointed out he is a very important part of the team moving forward.

I have a feeling it ends up being closer to 6.5 with at least 5 year term.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
if the Canes want to sign him "long term ASAP" then they'll pay more than more than his track record dictates

Pretty much yeah, so I guess after all there are no bad alternatives for Aho at this point. But with a PPG year, which is absolutely realistic, he could further up his value.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Being the best player on a talented but young team , especially one that didn't make the playoffs isn't what dictates contract the most(imo). Production and comparable players are more of a factor in determining value.

I personally don't see him getting 7.5 , I don't think it's impossible, as you pointed out he is a very important part of the team moving forward.

I have a feeling it ends up being closer to 6.5 with at least 5 year term.

Aho is an elite young player in the NHL, even if he plays for Carolina.

If we are talking 8 years here 7.5M for Aho would be a steal.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Whatever the Canes sign him to (assuming 8 years). it's gonna be a steal real soon.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
PlayerSigned WhenTermAAVCap %$79.5 mil Cap
TarasenkoSummer 201587.510.50%8.348
ForsbergSummer 2016668.22%6.535
MacKinnonSummer 201676.38.63%6.861
MonahanSummer 201676.3758.73%6.940
ScheifeleSummer 201686.1258.39%6.670
GaudreauFall 201666.759.25%7.354
DraisaitlSummer 201788.511.33%9.007
EhlersFall 2017768%6.36
PastrnakFall 201766.668.88%7.060
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Contract data from CapFriendly.

These are the notable long-term 2nd contracts for young 1st liners over the past several years and the equivalent AAVs for a $79.5 mil ceiling figure

Tarasenko and Draisaitl, the 10%+ guys on that list, were close to a PPG in the season prior to the extension. The same is applicable to next highest in Gaudreau. The rest were in the 60-70 point range Aho is in now.

I'll go with $6.75 mil if 6 years, $7.25 mil if 7 and $7.75 mil if 8.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Aho is an elite young player in the NHL, even if he plays for Carolina.

If we are talking 8 years here 7.5M for Aho would be a steal.
Very talented played. 49 points in year 1 and 65 points in year 2. Is the plan to transition him to C this season?

Still has a year on elc. A strong season at C would definitely up his value. Doesn’t need an 80 point year at C but another year similar to last at a new position would be very good for his negotiations.

Up to him if he can get something he’s comfortable with now or play out the year.

Most top guys coming off elc want term. Even if they may get to another level they prefer long term over a bridge.

Subban went bridge and landed a big contract afterwards. Jossi opted for term and got $4 mill per. Jones took a big step this past season with 57 points. If he’s coming off a bridge like subban, then he’s in line for a massive 3rd contract. But, he opted for term coming off a 30 point year 3 on elc so you couldn’t project him at almost 60 points.

Reactions: Unsustainable

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Very talented played. 49 points in year 1 and 65 points in year 2. Is the plan to transition him to C this season?

Still has a year on elc. A strong season at C would definitely up his value. Doesn’t need an 80 point year at C but another year similar to last at a new position would be very good for his negotiations.

Up to him if he can get something he’s comfortable with now or play out the year.

Most top guys coming off elc want term. Even if they may get to another level they prefer long term over a bridge.

Subban went bridge and landed a big contract afterwards. Jossi opted for term and got $4 mill per. Jones took a big step this past season with 57 points. If he’s coming off a bridge like subban, then he’s in line for a massive 3rd contract. But, he opted for term coming off a 30 point year 3 on elc so you couldn’t project him at almost 60 points.

I would bet this is going to be a longterm contract, like what they gave up to Slavin+ Pesce, lock up the core guys longterm.

Aho finished the seasons as a C and broke Finnish records at the Worlds as a C, and himself said he felt comfortable playing C.
Outside of size he has everything you look from your C, incredible IQ/vision/passing/defensive ability.

He's somewhat similar to Drai when he signed, W/C with fulltime C potential, already scored 65 as the guy for Carolina with another year left and his contract kicks in 2 years later than Drais', who got 8.5M.

Pasta got 6.66Mx6y as a pure winger after 1 elite season, who's contract also kicked in 2 years earlier than Ahos.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Either you want to lock him up pronto and you’re paying top dollar to do it, or you bridge him for a couple of years at a lesser cap hit to make sure you know what you’ve got before you give him the eight years, but there’s no scenario where he’s getting signed to term at a fairly low number. He’s got an agent for a reason.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Even if it's 8x8 I think it's solid. Fair if he's a winger and a steal if he can make the transition to center

I think it'll probably be a bit lower though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad