AHL's Top 30 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
The selection of these players factored in performance, draft status and potential to fill organizational needs.

It's hard to say how they came up with these rankings, and which criteria they value.
Ray Emery was arguably the best AHL goaltender last year, this as an AHL rookie (20yrs). I'm sure this was a big factor.

I would never say he is better than lehtonen, but Emery has been overlooked for so long, it's good to see some overdue praise

#37-#93-#27*

Voodoo Daddy said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/hockey/nhl/10/25/ahl.prospects/

The top10:
1. Ryan Miller
2. Mike Komisarek
3. Ray Emery
4. Jeff Taffe
5. Fedor Tyutin
6. Maxime Ouellet
7. Scotty Upshall
8. Khari Lehtonen
9. Ryan Bayda
10. Fredrik Sjostrom

SI has a great writeup for each prospect.
I don't know, maybe they're biased towards americans. (kidding of course ;) )

I won't be able to give a good top 10 since I haven't seen more then half of these guys. Going on reputation and what I've seen (those get a boost in spots) here's my top 10.

1. Kari Lehtonen
2. Fedor Tjutin
3. Mike Komisarek
4. Ray Emery
5. Maxim Ouellet
6. Scotty Upshall
7. Matt Foy
8. Brad Boyes
9. Ryan Miller
0. Carlo Colaiacovo

HM:
Jeff Woywitka (went with Carlo)
Igor Knyazev
Anton Babchuk
Jeff Taffe

Robert Paulson*

Voodoo Daddy said:
9. Ryan Bayda
Wow, go Bayda! A lot of people don't know about him, he did really well last year in a 24 game callup, I think he scored 13 points. He was just called up last weekend by Carolina too.

Also, I don't think the list is perfect, just nice to see him :handclap:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Lehtonen should be number one in my opinion, at the least higher than 8.

I can see no Pens prospects making the list, especially since most of the list is made up of first rounders.

I don't know much about a lot of players (I know of most of the list though), but I think there should be at least one from Wilkes Barre on the list.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
yakubov @ 26? man, icould name 5 other more deserving ads than him to be on this list.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
I was very surprised Ahonen didn't make the list, I guess alot had to do with the poor play on a horrible AHL team. I wonder if they are making this list based on potential or accomplishments.

Hard to read. Mikhail Yakubov hasn't done anything in the AHL, but is on the list. Obviously, AHL play has something to do with it. That being said, Ilya Bryzgalov has outplayed Ahonen in the AHL, also on a bad team, and isn't listed either.

All in all, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. SI isn't the be all, end all of hockey.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
forbesy said:
Grebeshkov wasn't in the AHL last year
I don't think he would crack the top 30 player/prospects of the AHL based solely on 5-6 games

true, but Derek Roy was on there at 11 and he has not played more games than Grebeshkov.

Roy at 11 is surprising-- didn't know he was that well regarded. He's playing really good hockey, though.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
forbesy said:
Grebeshkov wasn't in the AHL last year
I don't think he would crack the top 30 player/prospects of the AHL based solely on 5-6 games

Upshall, Lehtonen, Sjostrom, Roy, Babchuk, Kesler, Foy etc. all have the same amount of AHL experience as Grebeshkov.

And last year both Aulin and Cammalleri made the list with limited AHL experience.

It's hard to take the list seriously with such a glaring omission.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Surovy has 8 points (5+3) in 5 games so far.
He's scored in EVERY game this year.
Just makes you wonder...
Maybe it's not ALL about being a first rounder...

KariyaIsGod*

I don't see how Ryan Miller is more proven.

Sure, he was good last year while in Buffalo and I give him all the credit. He is a keeper, but Lehtonin dominated the best league on Earth outside of the NHL...

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
KariyaIsGod said:
I don't see how Ryan Miller is more proven.

Sure, he was good last year while in Buffalo and I give him all the credit. He is a keeper, but Lehtonin dominated the best league on Earth outside of the NHL...

While I agree that Lehtonen is better, I think the Russian Super League is the best league outside the NHL right now.

evildreams

krajicek being overlooked is completely inexcusable; heck, even my whipping boy weiss should be there. miller ahead of lehtonen; riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
I think that a lot of people forgot Fedor fedeor in the top 30 list...a player who could be in the top 10. cause i saw him in st john's nlfd, and he has exactly the same skills of his brother but in bit less talented!

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Fedor Fedorov is soft, lazy, and doesn't know how to use his size, the guy had bust writen on his forehead.

Fedor Fedorov was initially drafted in the 6th round. Even if he never plays another NHL game i don't think you can call a 6th rounder a "bust". The guy gets too much attention because of his bloodlines. I don't think he's a top 30 AHL prospect, but at the same time how much expectations should you put on this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad