AHL Veteran Rule question

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
There is no such rule. The minimum age to play in the AHL is 18 (as of September 18 of the current hockey year). If an organization could find 18 skaters and two goalies all 18 years old and not covered by the NHL/CHL agreement, they could field that team.
but there are exceptions to any rule....

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
There is no such rule. The minimum age to play in the AHL is 18 (as of September 18 of the current hockey year). If an organization could find 18 skaters and two goalies all 18 years old and not covered by the NHL/CHL agreement, they could field that team.

Or any other NHL agreement with the leagues (such as with the SEL, DEL, etc)? Explains why you don't see many 18 YO in the AHL, if you are good enough for the A you are probably in college or juniors. You would probably make as much money at McDonalds as playing int he AHL.

Growler

May 16, 2018
Does the Vet rule include playoff games?

edit: Asked and Answered from a post above: "All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season."

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Or any other NHL agreement with the leagues (such as with the SEL, DEL, etc)? Explains why you don't see many 18 YO in the AHL, if you are good enough for the A you are probably in college or juniors. You would probably make as much money at McDonalds as playing int he AHL.

There is nothing preventing otherwise eligible 18-year old players from the European leagues from playing in the AHL.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I'm pretty sure the league minumum in the AHL is ~$75,000, so no, you wouldn't do better at McDonalds.

European elite league games do count toward the veteran game cap, so even if those players don't come over at 18, they might be accruing games that count toward the limit at 18.

Reactions: 210

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I'm pretty sure the league minimum in the AHL is ~$75,000, so no, you wouldn't do better at McDonalds.

European elite league games do count toward the veteran game cap, so even if those players don't come over at 18, they might be accruing games that count toward the limit at 18.

I do not think the minimum is 75k. Also, they would be better off playing with European Elite leagues as they only play like 50 games a season.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I do not think the minimum is 75k. Also, they would be better off playing with European Elite leagues as they only play like 50 games a season.
RIGHTS ARE OWNED by those teams, tommy, even if listed as ineligible to play under existing rules, it's case by case as to whether the SEL, as an example is equivalent to either the A/ECHL

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
RIGHTS ARE OWNED by those teams, tommy, even if listed as ineligible to play under existing rules, it's case by case as to whether the SEL, as an example is equivalent to either the A/ECHL

What rights? Also, not talking equivalent anything. Games in the euro elite leagues count toward veteran status. Euro elite leagues play a lot less games than the AHL plays, even the oddballs on the west coast so it is advantageous to stay in europe.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I'm pretty sure the league minumum in the AHL is ~$75,000, so no, you wouldn't do better at McDonalds.

PHPA

The league minimum salary last season was $47.5k per the CBA

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
PHPA
The league minimum salary last season was $47.5k per the CBA
I was wrong on the minimum, but they probably wouldn't be making minimum anyway, and according to an article from 2015, the average was $90,000, so probably a bit higher since that was four years ago. Pro Hockey Salaries
Unless they flipped burgers for 18 hours per day, 365 days a year. :badidea:
Assuming base pay of $10/hr and time and a half for overtime after 40 hours, that would be almost $120,000/ year. But no McD's is going to pay that kind of overtime. :D

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Assuming base pay of $10/hr and time and a half for overtime after 40 hours, that would be almost $120,000/ year. But no McD's is going to pay that kind of overtime. :D
I was going with a simplified $12/hour flat rate for my calculations. But by 2023, industrious California Mickey D's employees could be pulling down more than their AHL neighbors. Of course, the Cali hockey guys will be working far fewer shifts with their reduced game schedule. ;)

Reactions: royals119

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The AHL minimum salary last season was $47,500, the number noobxQb posted. So I believe you own them an apology.

To complete the record, the ECHL has two minimum salary levels, this season it's $480/week for rookies and $520/week for all other players.
that's not what was listed, Darryl.... all it said was ECHL, not AHL, even though it's the same union, and nowhere has it been stated that the ECHL CBA was extended, just the AHL CBA

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
that's not what was listed, Darryl.... all it said was ECHL, not AHL, even though it's the same union, and nowhere has it been stated that the ECHL CBA was extended, just the AHL CBA

I have no idea what you're talking about here. The information they posted about the AHL minimum salary was factually correct. The rest of what you think was said is just going on in your head.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I have no idea what you're talking about here. The information they posted about the AHL minimum salary was factually correct. The rest of what you think was said is just going on in your head.

it clearly said ECHL, there was nothing that said AHL

Last edited by a moderator:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
all that is discussing the ECHL, NOT THE AHL

it clearly said ECHL, there was nothing that said AHL

What are you talking about? It clearly says it's $47.5k for AHL players.

Is there a Minimum Salary for AHL Players?
Players playing in the AHL on an AHL Standard Player’s Contract shall receive minimum compensation as follows:
  • 2015-16 - $44,000 U.S. Clubs/ or $55,000 Cdn. Clubs
  • 2016-17 - $45,000 U.S. Clubs/ or $58,500 Cdn. Clubs
  • 2017-18 - $46,000 U.S. Clubs (all AHL SPC salaries paid in U.S. currency beginning 2017-18)
  • 2018-19 - $47,500 U.S.

This is what is says for the ECHL:
Is there a Weekly Minimum Salary a Player will earn in the ECHL?
Yes. For a Player who has played in fewer than 25 regular season professional hockey games at the beginning of the Season who has signed a Standard Player Contract and who was not on an ECHL team’s End of Season roster:
  1. 2018/19- $470 US
  2. 2019/20- $480 US
  3. 2020/21- $490 US
  4. 2021/22- $500 US
  5. 2022/23- $510 US
For all other Players:
  1. 2018/19- $510 US
  2. 2019/20- $520 US
  3. 2020/21- $530 US
  4. 2021/22- $545 US
  5. 2022/23- $555 US

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

So when I am getting a "you were right and I was wrong" from you?

And 47.5k is about 22.5 bucks an hour so if you got 15 an hour at McD's, then working 54 hours a week you would make more than the AHL player, pre tax and benefits.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
So when I am getting a "you were right and I was wrong" from you?

And 47.5k is about 22.5 bucks an hour so if you got 15 an hour at McD's, then working 54 hours a week you would make more than the AHL player, pre tax and benefits.
Sorry I didn't apologize directly, I was wrong about the minimum salary in the AHL.

I don't agree that you were right that our theoretical 18 year old hockey player is better off at McDonalds than in the AHL though. First of all he isn't getting an AHL minimum salary. He's likely signing an NHL ELC and being assigned to the AHL (if he isn't covered by the agreement with Canadian juniors as outlined above). I just looked it up and an NHL two way ELC is
Two-Way Contract – the players salary is dependent on the league in which the player is assigned to play. The entry level NHL maximum salary is $925,000 and AHL maximum salary is $70,000
according to Center Ice View in a post from 2017. That's probably where my faulty memory came from - the minimum AHL salary for a player assigned to the AHL on an NHL contract.

Also, your McDonald's example is extremely high. It's been over 30 years since I worked at McD's, but in my experience no one got overtime. The only people working more than 40 hours were the salaried managers, and they did't get overtime. The hourly workers were closely monitored to avoid overtime. If that has changed, and they are regularly giving entry level employees 14 hours of overtime a week I'll apologize for not keeping up on their policies. I just assumed from the rallies I've seen on the news with workers demonstrating in the streets trying to get $15/hr, that wasn't happening.

(edit - just in case my tone isn't coming through properly, this whole discussion has been lighthearted and tongue-in-cheek on my part. I'm just having fun pointing out the absurdity of comparing an AHL contract to working in McDonald's - no malice intended)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad