Post-Game Talk: {AHL} Toronto Marlies (2 - 0) Laval Rocket

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I missed most of the game. It was on the TV but was at a family brunch. So I didn't really focus a lot of my attention on the game.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Meanwhile, Simon Després is officially on his way to Team Canada for the Spengler Cup:

Bouchard confirms that Després has been liberated (not just loaned since he was still under the 25-gane PTO). But if he wants to return to Laval, the door is open.

It's total bush league with the management's relationship with Despres. He just comes and goes like he wants.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's total bush league with the management's relationship with Despres. He just comes and goes like he wants.

Not really bush league. He ended up accepting a PTO when after camp, they offered him an AHL deal. And when he accepted his PTO, they knew he wanted to get some games in ahead of the Spengler Cup. Management was in on it the whole time. In fact, Després ended up accepting less than what Habs had offered him initially.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Not really bush league. He ended up accepting a PTO when after camp, they offered him an AHL deal. And when he accepted his PTO, they knew he wanted to get some games in ahead of the Spengler Cup. Management was in on it the whole time. In fact, Després ended up accepting less than what Habs had offered him initially.

I'm probably missing a lot of information on this case but it seems like a pretty ridiculous sequence of events. Habs offer Despres a contract, Despres says no, Habs offer a PTO, Despres accepts and blows it, Habs prepare a contract offer anyway, Despres is on some vacation or whatever so it falls through, Despres then gets a PTO in Laval, leaves to Spengler Cup and the Habs say ok buddy you can come back whenever you want.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm probably missing a lot of information on this case but it seems like a pretty ridiculous sequence of events. Habs offer Despres a contract, Despres says no, Habs offer a PTO, Despres accepts and blows it, Habs prepare a contract offer anyway, Despres is on some vacation or whatever so it falls through, Despres then gets a PTO in Laval, leaves to Spengler Cup and the Habs say ok buddy you can come back whenever you want.

But he won't come back on a deal he wants, though. He will either accept another PTO or an AHL contract. Basically the Habs are in a position of strength. If he goes to the Spengler Cup and possibly impresses a European team who offers him a contract, Habs won't beg him to return. They're basically saying if he wants to come back, he'll accept what they offer him.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
A few good chances in the 3rd thanks to a couple of nice setups, but aside from that there was zero coordination between forwards and defensemen. I can count on one hand the number of completed passes by Rocket skaters.

Only bright spot was Marcoux. Had no idea who this kid was and have no idea how he projects, but this aft's game was very impressive. Calm, poised, great positioning and reflexes. Both goals against him were snipes.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
did Juulsen played? how was he?
On the plus side with Juulsen, you could see the superior talent when he had the puck. He was a bit stronger than the other D. Without the puck he was solid. On the down side, he often tried to stickhandle his way into the Marlies' o-zone and inevitably got swarmed, losing possession. He struck me as being frustrated and wanting to prove he doesn't belong in the lower league. I might be projecting an attitude that wasn't there, but since he has NHL talent, his only obstacle is mental growth.

Reactions: cactusjack

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Is McNiven injured? I don't get why Marcoux is still with the Rocket if neither goalie is hurt.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is McNiven injured? I don't get why Marcoux is still with the Rocket if neither goalie is hurt.

no don't think so though he did get run into and was down for a little last game but he stayed in. He's rotated them as they played Friday night then Saturday afternoon which seems to be the new trend in the AHL which I like as I hate when the Habs and our AHL team play at the same time. From what I understand Lindgren was supposed to be getting close to returning, so perhaps next game. I'd like to see McNiven sent to the ECHL and Marcoux as the backup as I want McNiven playing as much as possible.

Reactions: Victorius

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Lindgren is hurt and Bouchard said the other day that he won't be back before 2019. Laval still has 3 more games before the new year so they will go with McNiven and Marcoux for the time being.

The earliest return Lindgren can make in 2019 is on January 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad