AHL team to be announced in Belleville

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Very interesting, and it looks like it will hold under 5,000 when done. They also need to figure what it will cost to have this building shut for a full season.

Not much. They do not currently have a tenant, it does not host concerts or other major events with any frequency ... and it's attached to a facility with three other hockey rinks, so it's not as though they'll be heating an empty building.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
This is what Bruce Garrioch tweeted earlier
Belleville council has put off meeting this AM. Work not done on deal for #Sens AHL affiliate.

Then the City of Belleville released this
Update - City of Belleville Council Meeting, Yardman Arena Expansion and Renovation Project
POSTED: AUGUST 18, 2016

Due to circumstances beyond the City’s control, the special council meeting scheduled for Thursday August 18th at 9:00a.m. has been cancelled. We can advise that the process continues and we anticipate that the meeting will be rescheduled.

Due to the continued non-disclosure agreement, at this time, this is the full extent of information that can be released.

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
Is anyone hearing anything on this deal.... They say it was a little hiccup and one part of the deal wasn't quite done yet. I'm hoping something gets announced soon as council needs to approve the arena expansion first as the work will start in the fall and were running outta time

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
I hear ya Canadian Game. It's frustrating that they can't talk, everyone involved says all is still good be patient, but how long can we go on without hearing anything official? They have an arena to renovate in a yr ( which I think is lotsa time). I'm hoping that all parties involved know the tight timelines and the people behind the scenes have been told were still ok time wise?

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Is anyone hearing anything on this deal.... They say it was a little hiccup and one part of the deal wasn't quite done yet. I'm hoping something gets announced soon as council needs to approve the arena expansion first as the work will start in the fall and were running outta time

Sounds like someone brought in an accountant. The accountant probably told his client that there's no possible way for this boondoggle to break even, much less turn a profit, and so now one party is trying to pin the future losses on someone else.

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
I guess the confidentiality agreement that was signed is actually working? Nothing is getting out, the clock is ticking on getting this done in time to do expansion and renovations in time for next year? I guess we can only hope the timeline they have set out is padded high and it won't take as long as they say?

myth

Dec 2, 2013
Hearing deal is off, Ice is going in on the Yardmen. city wanted a guarantee on number of years, at least five which they didn't get.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Hearing deal is off, Ice is going in on the Yardmen. city wanted a guarantee on number of years, at least five which they didn't get.

Not saying is that not true but from all reports the Sens wanted a long term deal 10-15 years.

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
I was also under the understanding if the renos didn't go thru , they were still fixing the floor and minor issues that needed to be done regardless of a team coming.

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
Not saying it's not true but you would think by now it would be more than one post out confirming deal is off?

myth

Dec 2, 2013
I was also under the understanding if the renos didn't go thru , they were still fixing the floor and minor issues that needed to be done regardless of a team coming.

The floor fix is different if it is a full rebuild for a new team or just for current problems. The full rebuild would dig everything up and change the surface to NHL standards, dropping the rink by several feet, and adding seats in by the rink. The repairs only will replace piping under the current surface and not touch the seating; the rink dimensions will remain the same. These will be done next summer now. They were to be done this summer but they held off waiting to see if the AHL deal went through. Local hockey leagues have been asked if they will book up the Yardmen if the ice goes in by October.

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
So you seem to know what's going on?
No team coming ...
No big renos ......

Wonder when the rest of us will find out?

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
I actually heard myself today that the lease is a sticking point, but negotiations are ongoing so I guess we keep waiting....I was told (don't know how true) that if the deal is considered dead by both sides that the city has to acknowledge that talks have broken off under the non disclosure agreement?
Can anyone confirm this that the city has to issue a statement ?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I'd prefer OHL too but if this is what it takes to get the Yardmen Arena renovated properly, I don't mind having an AHL team here for 7 or 8 years.

I think it will work well though. We are right in the middle of 3 regions: Leafs, Canadiens, Senators. Up until 2 years ago, Belleville was barely within the Sens tv broadcast region. If the Sens were playing one game and the Leafs or Habs were playing another, we were forced to watch the Sens (provided the other broadcasts were regional). Therefore, we have some Sens fans here (in addition to other fans - I'm Leafs). By being in Belleville the Sens can strengthen their fan base here. Kids will grow up with the AHL Sens. Some will become Sens fans because of the team, some won't. When Toronto's and Montreal's teams come, their fans really won't have to travel far. If I'm a Habs fan in Kingston or a Leafs fan in Peterborough, I'd travel on occasion to see my favorite NHL team's prospects. Therefore, they're strengthening their fan base and attracting rival fans just like their games in Ottawa (profits).

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Belleville is currently still Leaf area but you def may see a change in years to come. You think of the youth teams (called Jr Bulls, and Red Devils). I wouldnt be surprised if they get changed to Sens in a few years and adapt the Sens logo. If so, more kids are going to be Sens fans by default.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad