AHL Suspends Play - UPD: Season Cancelled

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Novel way to raise funds to help employees

BREAKING NEWS: I received my "Puck The Virus" T-shirt today, one week after ordering. Men's XL might be a wee bit larger than other XL short-sleeve T's I've purchased in the past; but it's 100% cotton, so it might shrink some.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Admirals story ... :popcorn:

Reactions: UticaHockey

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
So, I'm thinking they either go straight into the playoffs after a short "retraining camp" period using win percentage for everyone for the standings or they cancel the remainder of the season including the playoffs.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
So, I'm thinking they either go straight into the playoffs after a short "retraining camp" period using win percentage for everyone for the standings or they cancel the remainder of the season including the playoffs.

The conclusion to the AHL season will be a full cancellation. I'd give 1000-1 odds that they have playoffs this year.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
So, you're not willing to consider a third alternative: The NHL & AHL merge into a North American hockey superleague, with a relegation scheme that would make all the Euro members of this Board jealous beyond measure? :popcorn:

OK, then, back to the All-Ads League proposal.

Reactions: Tommy Hawk

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
How about this, players can go to any team they like at any time. Play as many games as they want or do not want, basically making it a pick-up league? All called Admirals.

Reactions: 210 and JMCx4

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
So, you're not willing to consider a third alternative: The NHL & AHL merge into a North American hockey superleague, with a relegation scheme that would make all the Euro members of this Board jealous beyond measure? :popcorn:

OK, then, back to the All-Ads League proposal.
Your superleague proposal is great when the rangers get relegated to the minors next season. MSG will be a great place to develop the next generation of Hartford superstars.:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
How about this, players can go to any team they like at any time. Play as many games as they want or do not want, basically making it a pick-up league? All called Admirals.
Well, I will say this: Every hockey team I'VE ever seen play under the "Admirals" name has looked like they were a pickup team ...
[MilAds follower responses in 3...2...1...] :popcorn:

Reactions: Tommy Hawk

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

LeBrun believes AHL season is done. Not financially feasible to play without fans. Some concern over independent teams. And NHL teams concerned with prospect development if AHL isn't playing.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Most players contracts are up in July. Do those ALH/NHL players not play for the teams they are on?
How is free agency going to work if they do decide to play in either league this season for playoffs?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Most players contracts are up in July. Do those ALH/NHL players not play for the teams they are on?
How is free agency going to work if they do decide to play in either league this season for playoffs?

They will be extended until the end of this season, if that season extends past July then they are done when the season ends.

Reactions: MilesNewton

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
LeBrun reiterated in his Athletic article today that the AHL's season is done. (Especially as the NHL team may need "taxi squad" of dozens in case of injury)

Sounds like the AHL (and the NHL) is being pressured to not start 2020-2021 season until fans can return to the stands. Perhaps December or January.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Best-case scenario for resumption of NHL season - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman with some very pointed discussion and speculation on what the AHL season for 2020-21 might be (or might not even happen without fans in the stands). And Andrews is retiring June 30, regardless of season status.

The reason the AHL hasn't cancelled rest of 2019-20 season is that some guys may be playing in AHL, so don't want to give them the mindset of off season. (But it's done.)

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Have to think the NHL might follow suit.
I'm inclined to think the odds of that are slim. It's gonna take a huge blockade to stop the NHL armada from cruising into an arena(s) near you for whatever season-end/playoffs assault they have in mind. The official AHL season cancellation just gives the NHL teams participating a larger roster to work with.

Ratitude

May 2, 2020

This could be a worrisome scenario for Utica and Binghamton, not as concerned for Hartford. Utica and Binghamton I am sure wont get a "free Pass" on what they are required to fork over to Newark and Vancouver but then again I am not familiar with their contract agreements. What I do know is those two buildings are among the smallest and then throw in distance guidelines regarding crowds then it just throws all into question. Those two clubs it would seem face an uncertain "immediate" situation but then again it's up to the people behind the scenes to figure it out.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
This could be a worrisome scenario for Utica and Binghamton, not as concerned for Hartford. Utica and Binghamton I am sure wont get a "free Pass" on what they are required to fork over to Newark and Vancouver but then again I am not familiar with their contract agreements. What I do know is those two buildings are among the smallest and then throw in distance guidelines regarding crowds then it just throws all into question. Those two clubs it would seem face an uncertain "immediate" situation but then again it's up to the people behind the scenes to figure it out.
I am pretty sure the XL Center will have to close for significant work/renovation's eventually but the relationship with Hartford and the Ranger's seems like its on good terms. XL Center could be an option if NHL restarts and the New York Rangers need a place to skate

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Utica seems to be strong and stable according to TSN 1340 Vancouver as long as Esche and the Canucks choose to stay the course from what outgoing president Dave Andrews stated

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
Utica seems to be strong and stable according to TSN 1340 Vancouver as long as Esche and the Canucks choose to stay the course from what outgoing president Dave Andrews stated

Esche has done a great job, same could be said of that gentleman (can't remember his name lol) down in Binghamton. The issue with these local community men is that if being on pause and not revenue generating it can be a huge hit, what happens then? Some of these buildings may not be allowed to open next fall. Here in N.Y. there is talk of not letting students return to their college campuses next fall.

I hope organizations like Vancouver and NJ are going easy with their AHL partners who have been good with them. This whole situation on the ground may change the face of the AHL again, maybe back to a simpler time. Personally I didn't care for the direction the AHL was headed in. To me it was more about the NHL needs then the needs of the fans and the local communities they were located.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad