AHL Rules Question

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Aaron Sims claims that somebody dropped a watch on the ice during the first period of tonight's Admirals-IceHogs game. Somebody in the press box said it was Steve Montador's. Is that against some rule?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
There's a NHL rule if non-playing equipment item (think Florida rats, Detroit octopus, etc.) is dropped/thrown on ice, home team can be assessed penalty.

(So if the crowd starts throwing trash...)

There does seem to be some leeway for hats commemorating a hat trick.

Did the watch "fall" off his arm or something?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Aaron Sims claims that somebody dropped a watch on the ice during the first period of tonight's Admirals-IceHogs game. Somebody in the press box said it was Steve Montador's. Is that against some rule?

If he dropped/threw it intentionally on to the ice, it's supposed to be a penalty. If it was accidental it's not supposed to be a penalty. It really comes down to intent.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
There's a NHL rule if non-playing equipment item (think Florida rats, Detroit octopus, etc.) is dropped/thrown on ice, home team can be assessed penalty.

(So if the crowd starts throwing trash...)

There does seem to be some leeway for hats commemorating a hat trick.

Did the watch "fall" off his arm or something?

I assume so. This happened about half way through the first period. Aaron Sims, the Ads radio announcer, said there was something shiny on the ice. Then he said it was a watch! I am sure that he keeps a pair of binocs in the press box. I have seen him use them some times. I don't think he saw where the watch came from. He must have asked somebody else in the press box about it. I have never heard of this happening before in a game.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
If he dropped/threw it intentionally on to the ice, it's supposed to be a penalty. If it was accidental it's not supposed to be a penalty. It really comes down to intent.

I am sure it was an accident. Why would a player wear a watch during a game? Did he forget to take it off? Is it a Rolex and he doesn't want it to be out of sight? It is strange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad