AHL reups with Neulion for five years, extends AHL Live into mobile apps

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Hopefully they figure out how to make a profit while reducing the price to something more reasonable than it is today.

I understand they don't have the efficiencies of scale of the major leagues, but it's hard to justify when it costs more than twice what Major League Baseball charges. Not to mention that MiLB (AAA and AA) is almost a throw-in when you subscribe to the big league package.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I don't know that the NHL and AHL would ever do a combined package.

The AHL seems to thrive on being very separate from the NHL (AHL required visors before NHL, etc.).

There are NHL fans who would never darken the door of a minor league arena, or deign themselves to watch a game (even if they didn't have to pay for it). OTOH, there are AHL fans who are diehards who almost don't care what the parent does (and resents most call ups/graduations). :sarcasm:

But would be an interesting development. ECHL added next?

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
Did not renew this year. Had it last year and video quality was bad, think 1980's TV with rabbit ears. Had the "away pass" for my team. You could choose home or away broadcast but that doesn't mean you could always get it. Would say a third of the time the home teams broadcast was sent to both home and away broadcast options. Ended up watching AHL live with sound muted and streaming my teams local radio broadcast. Yes, AHL homer announcers can be that bad.

E-mailed the AHL live customer service about the video quality. They claim that the local arenas networks are the cause and there is nothing they can do to fix it.

OTOH, there are AHL fans who are diehards who almost don't care what the parent does (and resents most call ups/graduations).
Most fans of the local AHL team are fans of NHL teams other than the one they are affiliated with. Been a fan of AHL team for around 10 years and had the NHL affiliate change three times. Not going to change NHL teams every time the affiliation changes. Fact is other than the NHL team staying health (call ups), I could care less how the NHL affiliate is doing. Don't every see the two leagues bundling the two products ever.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
The new system seems to be better after two road games. Video is better, interface is easier to use.... still the usual glitches though. In Hershey last night the home audio was silent, and road was Hershey's guys. Albany game today wouldn't play at first.

There was a promo in 09-10 that if you bought the AHL all games pack near midway through for $99 or something way cheaper you'd also get the NHL for the rest of the year also. That seems kind of shady as it was way cheaper than what people had paid to start the year.

I think that some of the video quality problems do line in the home arenas, last year at least Bridgeport's games looked like they were full HD. As we know the quality dropped from there.....

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
this is year 2 for me with the Abbotsford package through AHL live and I am noticing it being much improved this year. Much clearer, sound is synced better. I hope this continues through the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->