AHL response to team eligibility when a franchise loses its NHL affiliate

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The only sport I could agree on that was better years ago was Football. Now it's all protect the QB's and blah blah blah. It's great to watch, if your an offensive player or fan.

Baseball is still the same as it's always been.

Never really got into the NBA.

Har, har, har Pelts. The Calder Cup is dead to me. The SCF has been boring as far as the games go, but some of the incidents have been worth the watch. It's like watching some old UHL Hockey.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
The only sport I could agree on that was better years ago was Football. Now it's all protect the QB's and blah blah blah. It's great to watch, if your an offensive player or fan.

Baseball is still the same as it's always been.

Never really got into the NBA.

Har, har, har Pelts. The Calder Cup is dead to me. The SCF has been boring as far as the games go, but some of the incidents have been worth the watch. It's like watching some old UHL Hockey.

Dead huh? I'm sure that wouldn't be the case if the aeros won and you'd be chirping about the fact that you were right.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
What's comical is how no matter what the sport is... people are never happy with the product. People b****** about the AHL back then. Same as they did with NASCAR, NFL, NBA etc. To me, it seems no matter the sport or era that people are never happy.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
What's comical is how no matter what the sport is... people are never happy with the product. People b****** about the AHL back then. Same as they did with NASCAR, NFL, NBA etc. To me, it seems no matter the sport or era that people are never happy.

Maybe people aren't happy with the product because it's not as good as it once was? Should we just accept what we think is a lesser product just because that is what they are giving us? Are we not allowed to criticize it with the hopes that it might get better?

How is this any different than people talking about a restaurant that was once great that isn't as good as it once was or a tv show that isn't as good as it used to be?

Besides, think how boring this thread would be if we weren't having this discussion right now. :)

mtlhddoc2

Jun 10, 2010
Rhode Island
No, we aren't the same person.

Next time you accuse someone of doing something, you should probably check your facts first though. It would have taken you all of 15 seconds or so to get your facts straight. :shakehead

so serious - do you know how to disagree with someone and yet still joke around a little. Lighten up. :shakehead

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Maybe people aren't happy with the product because it's not as good as it once was? Should we just accept what we think is a lesser product just because that is what they are giving us? Are we not allowed to criticize it with the hopes that it might get better?

How is this any different than people talking about a restaurant that was once great that isn't as good as it once was or a tv show that isn't as good as it used to be?

Besides, think how boring this thread would be if we weren't having this discussion right now. :)
Oh no doubt... it would be a slow summer. It's always interest to listen to people talk about how the past was always better. Brings a whole new meaning to the grass isn't always as green on the otherside.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Well, when you decide to become the top place for development then you really lose your purpose of independence. The AHL kinda did this to themselves. The powers that be(NHL)are just taking advantage now with weaker economic times. Not saying I agree with it but it is what it is. It could certainly be argued that the IHL was a better product then the AHL was/is now.

In a nutshell affiliated hockey sucks. You have no real control over ultimately winning a title. In the ECHL, the AHL can dictate your roster come Playoff time by holding out guys on you just because. In the AHL, injuries play a role and obviously the more injuries a parent club has the more an AHL team gets sticked.

I miss things like the old UHL. I missed watching guys play with passion(even if they were destined to go nowhere)now it's all pansies. Hardly any fights or big hits. Guys can get away with cheap stuff. The players are crybabies and believe they should be at a higher level than they are more often then not. If only the FHL could take off and become a reasonable level of play.

I loved the UHL for the reasons stated above.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I don't remember seeing this thread before.

Some people think that the AHL was so much better in 1998 or whenever. After the IHL 6 joined in 2001, they won the first 3 Calder Cups in the merged league. If the AHL teams were so great back then, do you really think that should have happened?

I am fairly sure that the average sports team or league improves with time due to competition. Could the 1975 version of Richard Petty drive in NASCAR today? He probably could, but he was an excellent driver with good sponsorship and the best pit crew. The 1975 Cincinnati Reds went 108-54 and won the World Series. That was the best baseball team that I ever saw in person. But those two examples are the exceptional circumstances and not the average of their own times.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
I don't remember seeing this thread before.

Some people think that the AHL was so much better in 1998 or whenever. After the IHL 6 joined in 2001, they won the first 3 Calder Cups in the merged league. If the AHL teams were so great back then, do you really think that should have happened?

I am fairly sure that the average sports team or league improves with time due to competition. Could the 1975 version of Richard Petty drive in NASCAR today? He probably could, but he was an excellent driver with good sponsorship and the best pit crew. The 1975 Cincinnati Reds went 108-54 and won the World Series. That was the best baseball team that I ever saw in person. But those two examples are the exceptional circumstances and not the average of their own times.

Different era, different players, different rules. I liked the EHL from 54-73, the AHL U Devs from 87-93 and the Utica Comets now.

I also liked the NAHL 73-77 and the ACHL from 81-87. As stated, I missed the UHL....thought the games, for the most part, were very entertaining.....much more so than the ECHL then or now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad