Player Discussion Rafaël Harvey-Pinard

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
All-out hustle, reads the play well, always going hard after puck carrier, creates havoc around the net... reminds me of Lehkonen, somehow. Pure grinder who could actually complement 2 more skilled players, like he's doing with Poehling-Suzuki. He'll need to always be in optimal physical shape for that, though. Better skating would help him, too.

I think management will think long and hard about letting him go back to Chicoutimi...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
All-out hustle, reads the play well, always going hard after puck carrier, creates havoc around the net... reminds me of Lehkonen, somehow. Pure grinder who could actually complement 2 more skilled players, like he's doing with Poehling-Suzuki. He'll need to always be in optimal physical shape for that, though. Better skating would help him, too.

I think management will think long and hard about letting him go back to Chicoutimi...

He will likely never see the NHL, Lehkonen is better than him in every conceivable way.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Never say never ! He still can be an energetic grinder who can have a role on the 4th line like Daniel Paille but I think he will be a sort of Gabriel Dumont ( limit NHL/AHL player)

Even Dumont was better than RHP imo, and Paille was big, strong and fast. RHP is a poor skater and undersized, hopefully he can be a strong leader in Laval. This pick was just a bone for the local media but has close to zero NHL upside. I won't say zero because you never know but his odds of playing for Montreal for any length of time are likely only marginally better than mine lol.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Wrote about @Adam Michaels ' suggestion to give him an AHL contract on Godin's most recent article, here was his response.

Oui ç'aurait été une option, surtout que, comme me le faisait remarquer Marc Dumont, le Rocket compte très peu de contrats de la LAH. Il en a quelque chose comme huit à l'heure actuelle. Ç'aurait pu être possible mais c'est extrêmement rare chez le Canadien qu'on accorde un contrat strictement LAH à un joueur que l'équipe a repêché. L'organisation a toujours créé une démarcation nette entre deux catégories de joueurs, ceux dans lesquels il a déjà investi et ceux qui, jusqu'à preuve du contraire, ne sont là que pour servir exclusivement le club-école.

Manifestement l'équipe a jugé que de retourner dans le junior pour y faire valoir son leadership une fois de plus était la voie à suivre. Ça donnera une année de plus à RHP pour prendre de la force physique.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wrote about @Adam Michaels ' suggestion to give him an AHL contract on Godin's most recent article, here was his response.

Oui ç'aurait été une option, surtout que, comme me le faisait remarquer Marc Dumont, le Rocket compte très peu de contrats de la LAH. Il en a quelque chose comme huit à l'heure actuelle. Ç'aurait pu être possible mais c'est extrêmement rare chez le Canadien qu'on accorde un contrat strictement LAH à un joueur que l'équipe a repêché. L'organisation a toujours créé une démarcation nette entre deux catégories de joueurs, ceux dans lesquels il a déjà investi et ceux qui, jusqu'à preuve du contraire, ne sont là que pour servir exclusivement le club-école.

Manifestement l'équipe a jugé que de retourner dans le junior pour y faire valoir son leadership une fois de plus était la voie à suivre. Ça donnera une année de plus à RHP pour prendre de la force physique.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
The way Bouchard seems to be praising Harvey-Pinard after putting him into a favorable position, loving how RHP plays the game, praising MB for making a trade in the 7th round, saying he knows RHP him since he is 15 years old in interviews, I wounder if Bouchard had a word to say in making that selection happen.

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The way Bouchard seems to be praising Harvey-Pinard after putting him into a favorable position, loving how RHP plays the game, praising MB for making a trade in the 7th round, saying he knows RHP him since he is 15 years old in interviews, I wonder if Bouchard had a word to say in making that selection happen.
He must likely does considering the Armanda connections since he's joined the team.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
He reminds me a bit of Dumont in his hustle. I liked his game yesterday. Did the right things to make an impact.

Times are different, but Dumont was/is a much better fighter. I think Dumont is more physical too on the forecheck. At the same age Dumont was much stronger as well. They are both energetic bottom liners though, so I see where you're heading at.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Has potential to have a big year in the Q being the "C" for his second team coming off a Mem Cup win. Could have been a liked player by many teams being an undrafted FA, so imo a smart late pick

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Has potential to have a big year in the Q being the "C" for his second team coming off a Mem Cup win. Could have been a liked player by many teams being an undrafted FA, so imo a smart late pick

It's pretty much why the Habs picked him and Khisamutdinov in later rounds. Instead of getting in line with the rest of the league trying to convince them to sign with Montreal as free agents, they drafted them and brought them in the farm system. Now they're Habs' property.

I like this strategy for late picks.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
overager, he's already been cut. I'm actually surprised by that, thought they would at least have him at the Laval camp to get some idea of what he'll be looking at in a year.

Personnally not surprised. My surprise was to see him be cut that soon and not give him one preseason game to congratulate him for a great preseason. But I wanted him in Chicoutimi and try to get that team really far this year. Mostly also because I think Laval will finally have a deep and good team that he probably would have even a tough time to make.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Personnally not surprised. My surprise was to see him be cut that soon and not give him one preseason game to congratulate him for a great preseason. But I wanted him in Chicoutimi and try to get that team really far this year. Mostly also because I think Laval will finally have a deep and good team that he probably would have even a tough time to make.

I wouldn't send him there to make the team, but to get to practice with them so he has a better understanding of what to expect next year vs playing some preseason games with the Sags as an overager, although I'm not sure when Laval's camp starts vs the Sags season opener.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
overager, he's already been cut. I'm actually surprised by that, thought they would at least have him at the Laval camp to get some idea of what he'll be looking at in a year.
With his numbers, not much left to prove in junior. Better for his development with Bouchard. He may not be here next year.

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
What sup folks,

Here is a scouting report I made on Rafael Harvey-Pinard. I'm glad the Habs are starting to pick a bit more overager. 3 this year with Norlinder, Khisamutdinov and RHP. I think there is value there.

Smart kid from a good family, very good hockey IQ. I think he's going to be able to improve. Skating mechanic and size are problematic but he has pretty good footspeed and the BicepClup should help him gain a bit more legs strength. Chicoutimi PP will be Nasty this year with Rochette, Lapierre, RHP and Kniazev.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What sup folks,

Here is a scouting report I made on Rafael Harvey-Pinard. I'm glad the Habs are starting to pick a bit more overager. 3 this year with Norlinder, Khisamutdinov and RHP. I think there is value there.

Smart kid from a good family, very good hockey IQ. I think he's going to be able to improve. Skating mechanic and size are problematic but he has pretty good footspeed and the BicepClup should help him gain a bit more legs strength. Chicoutimi PP will be Nasty this year with Rochette, Lapierre, RHP and Kniazev.

who is the better skater between Harvey-Pinard and Teasdale

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Times are different, but Dumont was/is a much better fighter. I think Dumont is more physical too on the forecheck. At the same age Dumont was much stronger as well. They are both energetic bottom liners though, so I see where you're heading at.

Dumont is more Francis Bouillon kind of tough, while RHP is more in the Max Talbot mold.

Reactions: QuebecPride

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
who is the better skater between Harvey-Pinard and Teasdale

RHP much better footspeed and acceleration imo. Just need a better mechanic. Teasdale on the other hand is lacking a bit of agility and acceleration (first 2-3 steps). But he is much more solid and powerful skater than RHP.

I would give the edge to RHP. Teasdale is already pretty strong physically it will be harder for him to improve compare to RHP.

Reactions: montreal

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
OK well i am little confused I just saw this on a site Harvey-Pinard, Rafaël must be signed before June 1, 2021 or rights are relinquished. Is this true or is it a mistake?
Well If this is true then Cool, 2 years extra to develop under Joel Bouchard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->