Player Discussion Rafaël Harvey-Pinard

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With the 201st Overall selection, the Montreal Canadiens select... Rafaël Harvey-Pinard!

Rafaël Harvey-Pinard at eliteprospects.com

Rafaël Harvey-Pinard - Elite Prospects.png

Rafaël Harvey-Pinard - Elite Prospects (1).png

Last edited:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
coulda just signed him lol, this is more of a get off our back pick for the french media

i like him as a player tho
Well, just to play devil's advocate, I think that having drafted him, they now don't have to sign him for another 2 years, right? Whereas if they don't draft him, they have to sign him to keep him. I'm not sure if that is a factor here or not.

Reactions: dralaf

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Well, just to play devil's advocate, I think that having drafted him, they now don't have to sign him for another 2 years, right? Whereas if they don't draft him, they have to sign him to keep him. I'm not sure if that is a factor here or not.

He's already 20, so he'd have to go back to the Q as an overager. At most, that's one more year.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
coulda just signed him lol, this is more of a get off our back pick for the french media

Either Timmins knew he was on another team's radar or they were scared of the anti-québec rhetoric. You would think he would be available for an ELC after the draft, but they probably know better than us on that front.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Either Timmins knew he was on another team's radar or they were scared of the anti-québec rhetoric. You would think he would be available for an ELC after the draft, but they probably know better than us on that front.

Well, it means they don't have to commit to a contract straight away.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Well, it means they don't have to commit to a contract straight away.

That's assuming they don't think he's ready to turn pro. But yeah, if they prefer him in Junior, it delays their decision by a year. On that front, you could have drafted a first year eligible and delay that decision by two years.

He's set to play for his local junior team in Chicoutimi (he's from Jonquière which is in the same Saguenay Region), so odds are he wouldn't mind staying in Junior that extra year. We'll see...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That's assuming they don't think he's ready to turn pro. But yeah, if they prefer him in Junior, it delays their decision by a year. On that front, you could have drafted a first year eligible and delay that decision by two years.

He's set to play for his local junior team in Chicoutimi (he's from Jonquière which is in the same Saguenay Region), so odds are he wouldn't mind staying in Junior that extra year. We'll see...

I mean.. Juniors + ECHL, even.

But my point is -- that is why they drafted him instead of just signing him as a UFA. It's not like they expect him to play in the NHL this season (... I hope so)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
At this point in the draft how do teams even get all the time to scout these guys enough to make an informed decision. Lol

This is why you have regional scouts. Those are the scouts that have watched this player a lot and often and offer the organization the reports to where they can make informed decisions.

It also helps that RHP played with Teasdale, so Habs got a good look at him while following up on Teasdale. And with Rouyn-Noranda's deep run and Memorial Cup, a lot of eyes were on him. He was also at the Habs' combine in Montreal.

So despite him being selected in the 7th Round, they had quite a bit of data on him to make an informed decision.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Timmins explained that after he's done Juniors, they didn't want to get in line with a bunch of other teams on trying to convince him to sign with them. So they made a trade to get an extra pick to select him. This way, he's theirs. He said the same of Khisamutdinov.

Reactions: dralaf

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Because they surely also wanted Ruscheinski. This way they get both.

I don't know, guess it just seems kind of weak that we have to trade for a 7th round pick to get this kid. Have things gotten this bad that we have to draft overagers from the Q because we are worried they will sign with someone else? I'm likely making too much of it but you would think undrafted kids from the Q would want to come here. That said if he's the next Alex Barre-Boulet then well done, but if he's another Alain then it would seem to be an unnecessary move. Guess we'll see, I didn't get the Houde pick last year but at least this one was in the 7th and not the 5th, of course Houde could turn it around still.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don't know, guess it just seems kind of weak that we have to trade for a 7th round pick to get this kid. Have things gotten this bad that we have to draft overagers from the Q because we are worried they will sign with someone else? I'm likely making too much of it but you would think undrafted kids from the Q would want to come here. That said if he's the next Alex Barre-Boulet then well done, but if he's another Alain then it would seem to be an unnecessary move. Guess we'll see, I didn't get the Houde pick last year but at least this one was in the 7th and not the 5th, of course Houde could turn it around still.

Did you hear the nonsense that Timmins has already had to answer for not picking Legare.....would be even worse if they hadn't acquired and made this pick.

Next year's draft is very worrisome as they are already talking about accruing picks for the draft in Montreal. Hopefully they don't do anything stupid to appease the local mob.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Did you hear the nonsense that Timmins has already had to answer for not picking Legare.....would be even worse if they hadn't acquired and made this pick.

Next year's draft is very worrisome as they are already talking about accruing picks for the draft in Montreal. Hopefully they don't do anything stupid to appease the local mob.

I'm not surprised, although they have stayed away from the Q in the previous 5 drafts outside of the 3 (Houde, Bourque, Audette) since the disaster of '13 (Fucale, Ghetto, Reway, Gregoire) Though I liked Legare and wanted to pick him and as bad as our Q scouts have been, our Swedish ones have been even worse so hopefully we don't regret the Norlinder over Legare pick.

But trading for a kid that we shouldn't have had trouble signing just to quell the media is sad since it's bad enough they at least appear to have tried to appease them last year with Houde when they could have had several other better picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->