GDT: AHL Playoffs - Game 3: Amerks vs. Marlies (4/24 7:00 PM, MSG)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Now we get to blame all of the front office guys instead of the players that didn't show up, fun.

I'm curious who they bring back from the vet group. Porter isn't the offensive player he once was. Criscuolo wasn't the same guy after he got hurt last year, seemed like a letdown this year. The goalies were pretty meh. O'Regan has the rumors about the DEL. Paetsch is around for... what exactly? Tennyson's deal is up. Elie? Leier? There aren't vets beyond Redmond who I look at and think should be back. They still don't have offensive flair from AHL level vets. *shrug*

That said, they built the house. They can stand in it while it gets pulled down.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Taylor wants the Sabres job and knows that the longer he stays alive in the AHL playoffs, the better chance the Sabres find someone sooner and he gets frozen out. And this goes double if he outlasts Keefe by winning this series. Hence, he's doing the only thing he can: lose, and lose quickly.
Taylor isn’t ready for the sabres job.

This is the first time I watched the Amerks and they completely outplayed the Marlies at least the third. Blue barely hung on.

Taylor seems to have the same issue as wowie except his team buys in.. They don’t drive the net or take many high danger which I’m sure this Keefe character knows he doesn’t have the talent and they are playing devils d ... with a lead and Taylor didn’t adjust..

What with the kids always doing some arm behind arm front epilepsy repetition all the time.. Are they emulatin the blue guys puffed by an air blower like better call Saul..No wonder the bankers have enslave the population..

The Amerks were the better team and Taylor should stay where he is and teach them to finish..

Exciting.. My girlfriend claims I found a way to extend my Sabre illness by watching this while she watches Enemy..Thanks to whoever suggested Bandersnatch , Dark...,, Anyway I like their effort..and their skill and possession.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
The biggest AHL related screw-up that falls solely on Botts is Matt Tennyson. You can't place the blame solely on upper management for the rest of the issues.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Taylor isn’t ready for the sabres job.

This is the first time I watched the Amerks and they completely outplayed the Marlies at least the third. Blue barely hung on.

Taylor seems to have the same issue as wowie except his team buys in.. They don’t drive the net or take many high danger which I’m sure this Keefe character knows he doesn’t have the talent and they are playing devils d ... with a lead and Taylor didn’t adjust..

What with the kids always doing some arm behind arm front epilepsy repetition all the time.. Are they emulatin the blue guys puffed by an air blower like better call Saul..No wonder the bankers have enslave the population..

The Amerks were the better team and Taylor should stay where he is and teach them to finish..

Exciting.. My girlfriend claims I found a way to extend my Sabre illness by watching this while she watches Enemy..Thanks to whoever suggested Bandersnatch , Dark...,, Anyway I like their effort..and their skill and possession.

Your sarcasm meter is broken.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The entire goal of offense is generating quality scoring chances. If a chance turns into a goal or not is basically luck.

A line which is hitting a ton of posts is succeeding at what they’re supposed to do. They need to do more of it, not broken up because a coach like Housley doesn’t understand math.
Couple things

1) Thanks for fleshing your point out.

2) That line (Olofsson/Asplund/O’Regan) hit a ton of posts and a had a ton of scoring chances in game one, mostly in the 1st period. They had 1 post and some chances early in game 2 but not a lot the rest of game 2. They had no shots as of about 5/6mins left in this game. There was no reason to keep them together when they were that shell shocked as a line. Olofsson slowly disappeared as game 2 moved along and was a no show tonight.

3) The sample size of a game or even 3 games is insignificant statistically. So waiting for things to break your way if you keep doing the same things in a short series, as if it’s like the trends of a regular season, is foolish. Never mind that the Amerks never really got rolling in this game and needed a spark to get on track. They were a long way away from what we saw in the opening period of the series.

4) Whether you intended to or not you effectively argued Taylor could do nothing tonight but roll out the same lines and hope for some luck. That it was out of his control to impact the game and that’s simply not the case

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
It's good to know that our help on the way are playoff chokers, at least they can help us get there.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Couple things

1) Thanks for fleshing your point out.

2) That line (Olofsson/Asplund/O’Regan) hit a ton of posts and a had a ton of scoring chances in game one, mostly in the 1st period. They had 1 post and some chances early in game 2 but not a lot the rest of game 2. They had no shots as of about 5/6mins left in this game. There was no reason to keep them together when they were that shell shocked as a line. Olofsson slowly disappeared as game 2 moved along and was a no show tonight.

3) The sample size of a game or even 3 games is insignificant statistically. So waiting for things to break your way if you keep doing the same things in a short series, as if it’s like the trends of a regular season, is foolish. Never mind that the Amerks never really got rolling in this game and needed a spark to get on track. They were a long way away from what we saw in the opening period of the series.

4) Whether you intended to or not you effectively argued Taylor could do nothing tonight but roll out the same lines and hope for some luck. That it was out of his control to impact the game and that’s simply not the case

I’m watching the Carolina caps game. If the line stopped generating chances there’s no reason to keep them together. I thought my position was clearly predicated on that assumption. If it wasn’t mea culpa.

A coach can do a lot of things that aren’t related to line formation. If a line isn’t generating chances breaking it up is clearly an option.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I'm curious who they bring back from the vet group. Porter isn't the offensive player he once was. Criscuolo wasn't the same guy after he got hurt last year, seemed like a letdown this year. The goalies were pretty meh. O'Regan has the rumors about the DEL. Paetsch is around for... what exactly? Tennyson's deal is up. Elie? Leier? There aren't vets beyond Redmond who I look at and think should be back. They still don't have offensive flair from AHL level vets. *shrug*

That said, they built the house. They can stand in it while it gets pulled down.

I'll just go over all of em, might as well.

• CJ: I have to imagine is signed, probably a bridge deal. He has arbitration rights.
  • DOR: I don't know, I liked him in the regular season but he was a non-factor in the playoffs. I'd say less likely he stays.
  • Malone: Gone, non-factor this entire season.
  • Elie: I liked him in Rochester, he's an RFA with arb rights so they could sign him but I would imagine it's short term for not much, and no chance at the Buffalo roster. Wouldn't be surprised either way.
  • Leier: He was pretty reliable during the regular season, but he's a G6 UFA like DOR. He might wanna seek a better opportunity.
  • Cornel: RFA, bridge deal.
  • Criscuolo: Solid 3rd line center, UFA, could go either way.
  • Porter: Not sure really, he was the captain but he's also 33 with not much in the way of production. I don't think he's back.
  • Dougherty: RFA, bridge deal
  • Martin: ^
  • Tennyson: Gone, his production can easily be replaced in free agency and we have an influx of D coming in next season.
  • Wedgewood: Might be back to duo with 6K, or they'll just get someone else in free agency.
  • Wilcox: See ya

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
That's only the guys on NHL contracts btw, the guys on AHL contracts like Paestch (purely a locker room guy who subs on rare occasions) are a tossup, I don't remember their contract lengths tbh.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Here's the contract status of everyone Rochester related or playing in Cincy on an AHL deal

Thanks Keith, it's been a pleasure having you around this season. Now I need someone else to rant at om Twitter. :D

As far as the UFA's on AHL only deals, I'm hard pressed to find a reason to keep any of em. They're all pretty replaceable.

keithLGA

Jun 2, 2009
Rochester, NY
www.letsgoamerks.com
I'd be all for bringing back Dalton Smith and Yannick Veilleux. They made a difference at times. They didn't take playing time away from anyone, were rarely a liability, and the game still needs players like them. I'm confident stats would show they created scoring chances-they did tonight when they forced a turnover.

Reactions: Chainshot

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
That's only the guys on NHL contracts btw, the guys on AHL contracts like Paestch (purely a locker room guy who subs on rare occasions) are a tossup, I don't remember their contract lengths tbh.

Thanks Keith, it's been a pleasure having you around this season. Now I need someone else to rant at om Twitter. :D

As far as the UFA's on AHL only deals, I'm hard pressed to find a reason to keep any of em. They're all pretty replaceable.
You think Redmond will re-sign in ROC, or would do it only for a NHL contract? I figure the Amerks have ~5 d-men on NHL contracts to start next year, excluding Borgen and Pilut as likely up full time or essentially full-time.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You think Redmond will re-sign in ROC, or would do it only for a NHL contract? I figure the Amerks have ~5 d-men on NHL contracts to start next year, excluding Borgen and Pilut as likely up full time or essentially full-time.

Redmond is on a two-year deal. He’s in Rochester next season.

Reactions: brian_griffin

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Is Redmond not an NHL-caliber player? I understand he's on a minor league contract, but they could certainly throw that out for a two-way deal if both parties are on board.

Last edited:

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC

To follow up Chain, I don't think Redmond will pursue an NHL deal. He'll be 31 when his contract expires and he's never really worked out in the NHL previously.

Is Redmond not an NHL-caliper player? I understand he's on a minor league contract, but they could certainly throw that out for a two-way deal if both parties are on board.

No, I really don't think he's cut out for the NHL. He's one of those players that just excels in the AHL.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad