GDT: AHL Playoffs - Game 1 - Amerks v. Marlies (4/19 7:00 PM)

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
He’ll wait til series almost over. Do it now!
You-can-do-it-gif-Waterboy-Img-JC2V.gif

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Good:

The 1st period of play
It's only game 1
Syracuse also lost

Bad:

Every other period
It's a best of 5 series
Wedgewood
Pretty much everyone

Ugly:

Olofsson with 0 shots on goal (yes I know he hit the post twice)
Asplund missing a wide open net
Disappointing one of the best crowds in a long time.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If the Amerks get flattened (AKA Pull a Bridgeport) in this series I have no idea how Botts could give Taylor the Sabres job.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So many things to talk about I completely forgot to mention that CJ Smith and Redmond can't buy a goal lately.

Eventually those are going to go in. I would be more worried if they weren’t getting chances, but yeah, those two can buy a goal.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Went to the game. To echo most everyone else's comments:
-Building was rocking early on
-Love Will Borgen's mean streak
-When they didn't score at all in the first and Asplund missed the empty net tap in, you knew it would bite them in the ass.
-Question for more regular Amerks watchers: is the PP normally that atrocious?
-I'd go to UPL game 2. Wedgewood reminded me of bad Ullmark. Just couldn't count on him much to make tough or even some routine saves tonight.

Reactions: Kyndig

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
-When they didn't score at all in the first and Asplund missed the empty net tap in, you knew it would bite them in the ass.
-I'd go to UPL game 2. Wedgewood reminded me of bad Ullmark. Just couldn't count on him much to make tough or even some routine saves tonight.

Special teams has gotten really bad at the wrong time, it wasn't nearly as bad earlier in the season.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
No can do. We can't risk the possibility of finding out we have a franchise goalie and throwing the whole rebuilding process into disarray.

LOL....It's an AHL first round series. It's not the Stanley Cup finals. Founding out what he's got is all about throwing him into situations. If there was a crap team in front of him, I'd say no. But this Amerks squad is good and loaded up with three or four guys who have tickets punched to NHL next year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
LOL....It's an AHL first round series. It's not the Stanley Cup finals. Founding out what he's got is all about throwing him into situations. If there was a crap team in front of him, I'd say no. But this Amerks squad is good and loaded up with three or four guys who have tickets punched to NHL next year.
May want to turn on your sarcasm meter and re-read his post.

Reactions: Buffaloed

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY

That powerplay was infuriating. Several times I watched the Amerks get outnumbered in puck battles down low only to see 3 guys up by the blueline.

The change between the 1st and 2nd periods was so bizarre. They were buzzing, hitting a ton, lots of scrums, etc. in the first and all that energy was completely gone to start the second.

I left after the short handed 4th goal but up to that point I think my count was five goal posts/crossbars and at least 2 that trickled just wide like the Asplund chance. They outplayed the Marlies so hard at first but sometimes it just doesn’t go your way and they need to learn to keep on it and not get rattled like that. Despite the final results and it only being a 5 game series, I don’t think it’s time to hit the panic button.

What’s the latest on Nylander? I haven’t kept up on it. It seems like it’s been quite a long time out for just a cut on the leg. Did he have some tendon damage or something?

keithLGA

Jun 2, 2009
Rochester, NY
www.letsgoamerks.com
What’s the latest on Nylander? I haven’t kept up on it. It seems like it’s been quite a long time out for just a cut on the leg. Did he have some tendon damage or something?
I'm no doctor but I've seen him walking around the rink and there's no limp or difference in his step. Obviously that doesn't mean someone can skate but just saying. There's a general thought that he takes longer than most to recover from any injury. Amerks fans are over him.

The game itself was a big colossal disappointment over the last 37 minutes. Yea it's only game one. Yea they can come back. But for people who watch these team every game or every week it was the third Friday loss in a row and fifth Friday loss out of the last six games. They're disappointing in front of big crowds. They're right to say you just have to move on but the story remains the same week after week.

We'll see what happens at practice Saturday.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Wedgewood’s SV% in the last 10 is .861. Let’s hope Taylor isn’t willing to go down with that ship. Wilcox isn’t any better. Either start UPL in Game 2, or dress him as the backup and be prepared for a quick hook with Wedgewood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->