AHL/NHL Affiliations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
I'll started with this. As for Vancouver possibly going to Abbotsford I think it's a very realistic thing. First the big issue with attendance was a Calgary thing not an AHL thing. People have speculated that Vancouver would sellout the arena their if they moved which seems very unrealistic, but even if they averaged 50% of their tickets sold it would still be equal or higher than they draw in Utica. The big one is call ups. For Vancouver to call someone up from Utica the player has to drive 6 hours to Toronto just to catch a flight to Vancouver. With all that said and done same day call ups are virtually impossible, hell your lucky their ready for the next day. Travel isn't the issue it was with 5 teams in California and Winnipeg back it makes it a lot easier. The one big issue I see is a lease agreement.

Travel never has been an issue with Utica, Syracuse or Hamilton. Unless Vancouver buys the arena in Abbottsford, there is little chance they go there.

And, while Abbottsford makes sense for the Canucks as far as brand building and being close, it is an absolute outpost from the rest of the league, even California.

Frankly, except for St John's (and Manitoba Moose 1), the reception of the AHL in Canada IS an AHL thing. It generally isn't accepted well.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Millionaires...or billionaires have a lot of money to blow. Its a lot easier to not worry about when the spurs somehow make money every year.cause despite being old dinosaurs they never suck.

When you factor in the parking and concessions revenue (NBA team controlling the arena), the Rampage and Monsters may actually be profitable. Not wildly so, but profitable.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Will there be any changes this off season (about affiliation) ? I don't expect too much.

Most likely happening in the next few years:

St. John's to Laval (Montreal Canadiens) for 2017-18 season.

Utica to the West (Vancouver Canucks)

Chicago could change affiliation. I don't expect the Blues to be there longterm. The Missouri Mavericks could be promoted to the AHL. Good attendance there and could fit with St. Louis Blues.

Last edited:

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Will there be any changes this off season (about affiliation) ? I don't expect too much.

Most likely happening in the next few years:

St. John's to Laval (Montreal Canadiens) for 2017-18 season.

Utica to the West (Vancouver Canucks)

Chicago could change affiliation. I don't expect the Blues to be there longterm. The Missouri Mavericks could be promoted to the AHL. Good attendance there and could fit with St. Louis Blues.

Yes well this is all cute in theory....BUT you can't be "PROMOTED" to the ahl. It's a bit more complicated then that. First there has to be a franchise available for purchase of which there isn't at the moment, that we know of, OR a current franchise owner has to be willing to move to the city of your choosing.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Yes well this is all cute in theory....BUT you can't be "PROMOTED" to the ahl. It's a bit more complicated then that. First there has to be a franchise available for purchase of which there isn't at the moment, that we know of, OR a current franchise owner has to be willing to move to the city of your choosing.

I know that, don't worry. There will be franchises available in the next few years.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Graphically

It is interesting how many strong AHL markets are developing as the AHL moves away from its traditional New York, New England background.

What I would like to see to continue that growth:

A Nashville affiliate in Atlanta
A Florida affiliate in Orlando
A St. Louis affiliate in K.C
Vancouver moving affiliate to Abbotsford
Montreal moving affiliate to Laval
Ottawa putting their affiliate in Syracuse
Quebec putting their affiliate to Trois-Rivieres
Las Vegas putting their affiliate in Utah (SLC)
Chicago moving affiliate to Milwaukee
Tampa moving affiliate to Baltimore
N.Y. Isles can put their affiliate in Springfield

If Arizona moves to Seattle, Tuscon moves to Idaho.

Then AHL conferences/divisions can parallel NHL

WEST
Abbotsford
Idaho
Utah
San Jose
Stockton
Ontario
Bakersfield
San Diego

CENTRAL
Manitoba
Chicago (Independent)
Milwaukee
Grand Rapids
Cleveland
Kansas City
Iowa
San Antonio
Texas

NORTHEAST
Toronto
Laval
Trois-Rivieres
Providence
Hartford
Springfiield
Rochester
Syracuse

SOUTH
Wilkes-Barre
Lehigh Valley
Hershey
Albany
Baltimore
Charlotte
Atlanta
Orlando

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It is interesting how many strong AHL markets are developing as the AHL moves away from its traditional New York, New England background.

What I would like to see to continue that growth:

A Nashville affiliate in Atlanta
A Florida affiliate in Orlando
A St. Louis affiliate in K.C
Vancouver moving affiliate to Abbotsford
Montreal moving affiliate to Laval
Ottawa putting their affiliate in Syracuse
Quebec putting their affiliate to Trois-Rivieres
Las Vegas putting their affiliate in Utah (SLC)
Chicago moving affiliate to Milwaukee
Tampa moving affiliate to Baltimore
N.Y. Isles can put their affiliate in Springfield

If Arizona moves to Seattle, Tuscon moves to Idaho.

Then AHL conferences/divisions can parallel NHL

WEST
Abbotsford
Idaho
Utah
San Jose
Stockton
Ontario
Bakersfield
San Diego

CENTRAL
Manitoba
Chicago (Independent)
Milwaukee
Grand Rapids
Cleveland
Kansas City
Iowa
San Antonio
Texas

NORTHEAST
Toronto
Laval
Trois-Rivieres
Providence
Hartford
Springfiield
Rochester
Syracuse

SOUTH
Wilkes-Barre
Lehigh Valley
Hershey
Albany
Baltimore
Charlotte
Atlanta
Orlando

Wow - nice work.

The only other change I would suggest would be a Colorado-Kansas City connection - for old time's sake.

Other than that I say go with it.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Two AHL teams for one franchise? Might as well just bring the IHL back from the dead though this isn't baseball how many prospects do you really have? I mean ECHL teams agent even fully loaded with them and if they are they are with a bunch of guys who are barely holding on to their contracts.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
You don't have to move the affiliates in order to change the divisions to align with the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->