AHL/NHL Affiliations

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If Vancouver ever leaves Utica, they are going to Abbotsford. Case closed.

I don't see the City of Abbotsford ever again allowing the AEC to host a professional franchise based off how Calgary was bought out of the contract, Nate, and remember, Vancouver had tried to buy their way in to assume that contract, and at THAT TIME, they haven't left Chicago, or bought Peoria or had even made a decision where said franchise would've been.

if Abbotsford ever gets hockey again, it won't be at the pro level, many stated then it will be an existing junior team.

olebaron

Aug 27, 2014
Oklahoma City
I recall seeing reports in the Abbotsford media that the City government agreed to subsidize the Calgary operations if revenue did not exceed a certain amount (I do not recall the numbers). This was necessary to get Calgary to locate the team there. This became a substantial expense for the city. There was much opposition because many believed the subsidy was taken from money needed for city services. If it takes a subsidy to get an AHL team there, it is not likely there will be another one.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
More likely they'd be going to California, where other AHL teams are. Keeps costs down and puts them near nhl division rivals for call ups.

nope, unless you can convince Texas and San Antonio to move into CA, seeing as they're already irritated at the CALI teams.

they're aren't any Cali cities left when SJ places its affiliate (whether it stays at Sharks Ice OR NOT)

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
nope, unless you can convince Texas and San Antonio to move into CA, seeing as they're already irritated at the CALI teams.

they're aren't any Cali cities left when SJ places its affiliate (whether it stays at Sharks Ice OR NOT)

Yeah, Fresno and Long Beach don't exist. Sacramento wouldn't be a potential option. Oakland couldn't happen at some point. California is a very small state with very little population, right? Much better to move to the big city in Abbotsford.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
San Antonio has been a mess in the affiliate game for years. Could definitely just see them leaving town in the future. They've never had a good affiliate.

Yeah I'm pretty sure being owned by the Spurs means they're not likely to move unless they get sold.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Yeah I'm pretty sure being owned by the Spurs means they're not likely to move unless they get sold.

Yes, correct. And I can't see them being sold.

They create 38 dates at the arena a year, at least, and actually draw quite well.

The Spurs are not going to sell their AHL property.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
More likely they'd be going to California, where other AHL teams are. Keeps costs down and puts them near nhl division rivals for call ups.

Moving any team to California does not keep costs down.

There never has been a problem for Vancouver with call ups since being in Utica. Never was in Syracuse or Hamilton, either.

Overrated. This is the problem with the NHL being so in charge now of the AHL.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Moving any team to California does not keep costs down.

There never has been a problem for Vancouver with call ups since being in Utica. Never was in Syracuse or Hamilton, either.

Overrated. This is the problem with the NHL being so in charge now of the AHL.

Compared to Abbotsford, it does. From Abbotsford, you'd fly everywhere. Adding another California team gives you 5 teams to drive to and much quicker callups. Not saying it'll happen, just saying it makes more sense than Abbotsford.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Compared to Abbotsford, it does. From Abbotsford, you'd fly everywhere. Adding another California team gives you 5 teams to drive to and much quicker callups. Not saying it'll happen, just saying it makes more sense than Abbotsford.

ABSOLUTELY NOT, Abbotsford will never ever see professional hockey based off what's already transpired between building the AEC, and attracting the franchise that's been relocated 6 times in a dozen years

here's the Flames timeline since 1993, Hoodaha:

1993: CGY acquires franchise from Boston; arrives in Saint John, NB;
2001: Saint John wins Cup; league expands to 27;

2003: Flames LLC announces bankruptcy in Saint John; dormancy until Omaha

spends 2 years in Omaha; moves to QC, same financial issues continue then lands in Abbotsford; Canucks inquire; Flames reject offer; then the move to GF, then Stockton.

HOW Does Abbotsford fit now if the city is hesitant ie anti-business-friendly based off paying the Flames to vacate market, answer that, you have the answer:popcorn:

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
ABSOLUTELY NOT, Abbotsford will never ever see professional hockey based off what's already transpired between building the AEC, and attracting the franchise that's been relocated 6 times in a dozen years

here's the Flames timeline since 1993, Hoodaha:

1993: CGY acquires franchise from Boston; arrives in Saint John, NB;
2001: Saint John wins Cup; league expands to 27;

2003: Flames LLC announces bankruptcy in Saint John; dormancy until Omaha

spends 2 years in Omaha; moves to QC, same financial issues continue then lands in Abbotsford; Canucks inquire; Flames reject offer; then the move to GF, then Stockton.

HOW Does Abbotsford fit now if the city is hesitant ie anti-business-friendly based off paying the Flames to vacate market, answer that, you have the answer:popcorn:

Reading comprehension. Another poster mentioned Abbotsford as a potential landing spot for Vancouver. I said that it was unlikely. Abbotsford is NOT a likely AHL destination. That was my point.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Do you really think the Spurs a major pro franchise care about a minor league team? Probably not. I'm sure at the right price some Californian can talk them into it IF they wanted to. Not saying there's anything afoot or anything.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Do you really think the Spurs a major pro franchise care about a minor league team? Probably not. I'm sure at the right price some Californian can talk them into it IF they wanted to. Not saying there's anything afoot or anything.

Well yeah, I'm not looking to sell my car either but if someone offered me more than it's worth I'd gladly take their money. Read my post again and find the part where I said there's no chance the Spurs sell. Spoiler alert: It's not there. I said it's unlikely as it fills dates at the arena they operate and draws a fairly good crowd. They're probably easier teams to buy than the Rampage.

CJNewman

Feb 1, 2014
I'll started with this. As for Vancouver possibly going to Abbotsford I think it's a very realistic thing. First the big issue with attendance was a Calgary thing not an AHL thing. People have speculated that Vancouver would sellout the arena their if they moved which seems very unrealistic, but even if they averaged 50% of their tickets sold it would still be equal or higher than they draw in Utica. The big one is call ups. For Vancouver to call someone up from Utica the player has to drive 6 hours to Toronto just to catch a flight to Vancouver. With all that said and done same day call ups are virtually impossible, hell your lucky their ready for the next day. Travel isn't the issue it was with 5 teams in California and Winnipeg back it makes it a lot easier. The one big issue I see is a lease agreement.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org

The Spurs basketball operations probably don't care about the AHL team... but I can guarantee you the arena operations portion of the business that owns the Spurs cares about the arena dates and income, as 210 pointed out.

You HAVE to have a bigger view of corporate sports entities. They are much larger than "the team" on the floor or ice. For example, the LA Kings as a hockey team probably don't care about the Clippers and Lakers, but AEG, the entity that owns the Kings and the Staples Center... cares a LOT about the rent they get from those tenants.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Spurs basketball operations probably don't care about the AHL team... but I can guarantee you the arena operations portion of the business that owns the Spurs cares about the arena dates and income, as 210 pointed out.

You HAVE to have a bigger view of corporate sports entities. They are much larger than "the team" on the floor or ice. For example, the LA Kings as a hockey team probably don't care about the Clippers and Lakers, but AEG, the entity that owns the Kings and the Staples Center... cares a LOT about the rent they get from those tenants.

Say that team isn't making money(like most minor league teams out there)then is it worth it? Granted I'm sure they can take losses for years to come but I'm sure losses for a team and an annual affiliation fee add up to a fair amount year after year. Even the rich have a breaking point on how much money they will be willing to lose.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

Agree with you on that, moving a team to Cuba makes more sense than Abbottsford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->