Post-Game Talk: {AHL} Laval Rocket 2 - 3 Belleville Senators: The Rocket Showed Up 20-Minutes Too Late

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
IMG_20191023_122459.jpg

News & Notes

- Michael McCarron suspended for two games. Tonight is Game 1 of 2.

- Noah Juulsen will not play tonight. He is sick with the flu and didn't accompany the team to Belleville. Will join them during this 3-game road trip.

- Cayden Primeau will get the start.

- Ottawa just recalled Logan Brown, he he won't play against Laval tonight.

EHmLoNfX4AAhpUA.jpg

EHmMYWSX0AcfduT.jpg

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Laval wins tonight and Rochester loses to Hershey, Laval (who sit in 5th place) will jump to 3rd in the division. If Laval wins and Rochester gets at least a loser point, Laval moves ahead of Cleveland and into 4th place.

Way too early to look at standings, but it would be good for Laval to get into a playoff position and hopefully they sustain the production to stay there.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I have to say I’m shocked at the poor performances from the vets. I thought Varone and Barber were good, but they’ve looked invisible. Weiss might as well retire. Pecca has done nothing. Honestly I was expecting so much more from this team and they’ve been disappointing. I was expecting Brook to be more dominant as well.

Reactions: dralaf

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I have to say I’m shocked at the poor performances from the vets. I thought Varone and Barber were good, but they’ve looked invisible. Weiss might as well retire. Pecca has done nothing. Honestly I was expecting so much more from this team and they’ve been disappointing. I was expecting Brook to be more dominant as well.

Give Brook some time, it is his first year playing with men.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Varone and Barber have been playing well. They just haven't put up the production we're expecting them to put up. And they need to put up that production, as they are expected to be relied upon for that. But they haven't been playing bad. They create a lot out there, they just need to start making them count.

Peca's injured and was playing hurt for a few games before they took him out of the line-up. So there is at least a reason he wasn't playing well.

I don't know if you've watched the games, but after a disappointing start to the season, they've been playing well since. They started the year 0-3, where they looked a little out of sync. They went 3-1 in their last 4 games, where they were mostly the better team on the ice.

Further to that, Poehling and Brook have already improved since the start of the year. Primeau has been stellar when he plays. Evans is the team's most consistent and reliable player (along with Belzile). And Vejdemo is used in all kinds of situations and he is more than capable of handling it. And Leskinen has been one of the best defensemen.

So if the vets disappoint in terms of production, at least take comfort in knowing that the kids (and the real future of the organization) are doing well.

Jul 6, 2016
Varone and Barber have been playing well. They just haven't put up the production we're expecting them to put up. And they need to put up that production, as they are expected to be relied upon for that. But they haven't been playing bad. They create a lot out there, they just need to start making them count.

Peca's injured and was playing hurt for a few games before they took him out of the line-up. So there is at least a reason he wasn't playing well.

I don't know if you've watched the games, but after a disappointing start to the season, they've been playing well since. They started the year 0-3, where they looked a little out of sync. They went 3-1 in their last 4 games, where they were mostly the better team on the ice.

Further to that, Poehling and Brook have already improved since the start of the year. Primeau has been stellar when he plays. Evans is the team's most consistent and reliable player (along with Belzile). And Vejdemo is used in all kinds of situations and he is more than capable of handling it. And Leskinen has been one of the best defensemen.

So if the vets disappoint in terms of production, at least take comfort in knowing that the kids (and the real future of the organization) are doing well.

Hudon seems to already be in Bouchard's doghouse.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hudon seems to already be in Bouchard's doghouse.

Yea. He needs to step up, as well. It's his attitude that also needs adjusting. Quite the project for Bouchard. It would be another feather in his cap after the way he helped Fleury and Evans progress and how he helped shape McCarron's mindset to be more effective.

As Bouchard said, for a few years now, Hudon has developed some bad habits that he needs to get rid of in order to improve.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hudon is obviously in an inferior league (in his view) and is not competing like some pro scout will take notice.

Brook has improved since the first game I have watched.

Poehling is definitely starting to play like we expected.

Evans competes hard all over the ice but the numbers just are not there.

Things are looking up

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
lines at practice today,

Varone Poehling Belzile
Hudon Lynch Barber
Alain Evans Weise
Cox Pezzetta McCarron-Peca

Not sure who was at center on the 4th line as Cox has been at RW and Peca LW as well as Pezzetta at LW. Looks like Peca will sub in for McCarron during the 2 game as he is back from injury.

Once again i don't like his lines if that is what he goes with. Lynch should be on the 4th line, but they do need to try something to wake up Barber and Varone and Hudon to a lesser extent. I also don't see why Alain gets promoted, guess Jevpalovs is injured.

the defense stays the same.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
View attachment 268115

News & Notes

- Michael McCarron suspended for two games. Tonight is Game 1 of 2.

- Noah Juulsen will not play tonight. He is sick with the flu and didn't accompany the team to Belleville. Will join them during this 3-game road trip.

- Cayden Primeau will get the start.

- Ottawa just recalled Logan Brown, he he won't play against Laval tonight.​

That supension is the dumbest decision ive seen in awhile its absolute textbook punishment for the result instead of the actual incident but anyway was hoping to see Juulsen too bad hes sick hopefully Poehling and primeau dominate

Reactions: montreal

Jul 6, 2016
lines at practice today,

Varone Poehling Belzile
Hudon Lynch Barber
Alain Evans Weise
Cox Pezzetta McCarron-Peca

Not sure who was at center on the 4th line as Cox has been at RW and Peca LW as well as Pezzetta at LW. Looks like Peca will sub in for McCarron during the 2 game as he is back from injury.

Once again i don't like his lines if that is what he goes with. Lynch should be on the 4th line, but they do need to try something to wake up Barber and Varone and Hudon to a lesser extent. I also don't see why Alain gets promoted, guess Jevpalovs is injured.

the defense stays the same.

Why Evans on a third line ?

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I have only watched a couple of Laval's game this year, so I'd like to ask a question. Has Evans played with Belzile at the start of the season? They had a real good rookie camp this year together and I thought they would give this duo a shot.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Trying to circulate the puck way better is what I want them to do continually. Like especially when it begins from our zone. There’s still problems to get out rapidly from there. So in that regard we must be absolutely effective.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Just updated the OP with the lines. Exactly as @montreal posted from practice. I'm wondering why Evans is down at 3C and Lynch is 2C. I've liked Lynch so far. But I'm not sure Evans has done anything to warrant being down to the third line. It may be just Bouchard trying to change it up to spark the guys.

Reactions: habsfan891

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I have only watched a couple of Laval's game this year, so I'd like to ask a question. Has Evans played with Belzile at the start of the season? They had a real good rookie camp this year together and I thought they would give this duo a shot.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but they've basically been together the whole time. Last year, they were great together so Bouchard naturally wanted them to play together off the bat because of the familiarity. But since, Poehling has slowly been getting more comfortable and there were games Belzile played with Poehling and others he was with Evans.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
6 seconds in and Belleville scored already. I didn't see the goal. But I come in the room and notice it's already 1-0 and only 6 had passed.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Primeau with a great save to keep it 1-0. There was a scramble around the net because Primeau didn't freeze it. He ended up facing the wrong side of the net in that scramble. But no goal.

Bouchard calls a time-out and he's giving it to the team.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Bouchard forced to call a time out less than 4 minutes in because Laval is ill prepared at puck drop.
Down 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad