AHL Jerseys

Which Type?

• Total voters

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Hello AHL fans. I came here to ask this question since the main board people don't know/watch/care for the league like you guys do.

I wanted to know what type of AHL jersey you preferred. Watching the Marlies vs. Amerks gave me this thought.

Option 1: Own brand/identity

This is like the Amerks or Wolves. They have their own identity, they aren't tied at all to their parent team. The Wolves jersey is one of my favourite jerseys in all of hockey and the Amerks' are lovely too. I really like their red one. I think this breeds smart, creative, refreshing and unique ideas.

Option 2: Clone of parent team

Plenty of examples here, such as the Marlies, the Moose and many more. Not really any creativity here, but I like the tie to the parent club. It gives the feel of "this team is an important part of our organization, and by playing for this team you are part of the club, being groomed for the ultimate goal."

I also think this is good for a younger crowd where the AHL city is close enough to the parent club that odds are their favourite NHL and AHL teams are part of the same organization. It helps with the whole branding/affiliation and for families who can't afford NHL tickets, it still gives the "this is my team/organization" and "this is still a big deal" feeling.

Option 3: Caught in the middle

Examples are the Thunderbirds, Rocket etc.. This is where they share the parent team's colours, but the design is different enough that the jersey is unique enough. Really, I think this blends option 1 and 2.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
"Team Identity" (Option 2) will continue to grow as more NHL teams take sole ownership or at least major business stakes in their AHL affiliates. As a hockey jersey collector, I prefer more unique designs. But there is economy in affiliates sharing uniform design bases; pay one graphic artist firm to design both.

ETA: Common designs also promote brand awareness.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
12 of the 31 AHL teams are independently owned. The other 19 are owned by their parent.

I'd expect the latter to have the same colors and similar designs. The other twelve will probably be more unique (with a nod to affiliation with shoulder patch only).

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I guess in the middle. I like what San Jose did with the Barracudas. They found a different water based predator and kept the colors.

That said, I love the Grand Rapids Griffins brand out of anything in the AHL.

As a Providence Bruins fan obviously the brand helps locally as this is 100% Boston territory. They also do just enough with uniform modifications that they aren't a total replica of the parent uniform.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I love that the Admirals have their own brand and identity but pay homage to the Preds for a weekend by wearing the Preds gold.

MIL-AHL.jpg

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I have no problem with teams using the same colors, but a different nickname like the comets or rocket do. It gives them a different identity.
Using the same everything like the penguins or senators is just lame and pathetic......
This is my preference as well. I have a pet peeve about seeing a goalie with equipment the color of the NHL parent team being totally different than the AHL team he plays for. Have your own identity with the team name but go with the colors of the parent team.

Reactions: go comets

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This is my preference as well. I have a pet peeve about seeing a goalie with equipment the color of the NHL parent team being totally different than the AHL team he plays for. Have your own identity with the team name but go with the colors of the parent team.
what about a goalie who was dealt wearing those pads/equipment, UH, prime example is Hutchinson being dealt from Florida to Toronto, there is equipment with the Panthers color schematic but it's the Leafs jersey

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
they should create a league rule like the NFL or MLB and cite a uniform violation fine the player and also ban him from playing til he gets the problem fixed

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
they should create a league rule like the NFL or MLB and cite a uniform violation fine the player and also ban him from playing til he gets the problem fixed
OR ... all goalies should be made to wear the same dark colored pads & gloves & helmets (black, brown, navy, you pick) with no decoration. Hockey ain't a fashion show - leave that to the fans in the stands.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The NFL and MLB are top level leagues, so kind of an apples to oranges comparison. If an MLB catcher gets sent to the AAA is he not allowed to wear his major league team color helmet and pads while playing for the minor league team? I imagine he would, just like in the AHL. There is no minor league for the NHL, so no real comparison there.
OR ... all goalies should be made to wear the same dark colored pads & gloves & helmets (black, brown, navy, you pick) with no decoration. Hockey ain't a fashion show - leave that to the fans in the stands.
To make this work, it would have to extend all the way to the NHL, because otherwise you would still have NHL contracted goalies wearing their colored pants and pads for an AHL affiliate that doesn't match. And even if you did it in all leagues to cover players sent down and called up, they would have to have one color for all teams, since players get traded and called up to non-affiliated teams too. So, say white helmets, pads, pants, etc for every team at every level? I'd rather have some variety. It is part of the charm of minor league sports to see stuff like the ECHL Royals currently using a Hurricanes contracted goalie with his red pants and a purple and black jersey, and his backup wearing his Brampton Beast helmet because he got signed out of the SPHL and hasn't had a new helmet since last year.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
OK @royals119, I see you're gonna make this tough for me ... ULTIMATE SOLUTION: Rewind to the NHA glory days, before unique goalie pads & gloves & helmets/masks. :popcorn:

Reactions: royals119

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
OK @royals119, I see you're gonna make this tough for me ... ULTIMATE SOLUTION: Rewind to the NHA glory days, before unique goalie pads & gloves & helmets/masks. :popcorn:
That would increase scoring! Modern skaters with composite sticks going against goalies with leather pads stuffed with horsehair. This is an idea I can get behind!

FlyChicaga

Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I really hope they don't trend toward all AHL affiliates matching the NHL club. My favorite AHL team is the Hershey Bears, and they have one of the most unique uniforms in hockey. I love it. I also am a fan of the Wolves, being from Chicago. Although I understand the attraction for the clubs to be able to send guys up or down and use the same equipment (to a point, CCM-branding issues), I personally feel each team should have their unique persona.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I really hope they don't trend toward all AHL affiliates matching the NHL club. My favorite AHL team is the Hershey Bears, and they have one of the most unique uniforms in hockey. I love it. I also am a fan of the Wolves, being from Chicago. Although I understand the attraction for the clubs to be able to send guys up or down and use the same equipment (to a point, CCM-branding issues), I personally feel each team should have their unique persona.
Hershey will never trend toward taking the name of any affiliate, be it past or present, the trust that governs the franchise sees to that by decree, that's why you rarely see the market in relocation discussion, Rosemont's the same MO for 25 years

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
So, goalies are not allowed to wear goalie equipment. Problem solved. And each player must have their custom helmet made in every color of every team just in case they get traded. Also, in every minor league team color scheme as well. And all jerseys will be either fluorescent lime green or powder blue. All teams at all levels.

Prsut18

Jul 30, 2018
CZ
I like when AHL team uses the same or simolar colors, but unique desing, logo, name... the name could be tied to the parent club thematicaly... like Sharks/barracuda mentioned before

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... each player must have their custom helmet made in every color of every team just in case they get traded. Also, in every minor league team color scheme as well. And all jerseys will be either fluorescent lime green or powder blue. ...
If hockey teamed up with a "smart clothing" manufacturer, there'd be an app for all that. :teach:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy Hawk

Gulls Watcher

Aug 1, 2016
Sun City, CA
12 of the 31 AHL teams are independently owned. The other 19 are owned by their parent.

I'd expect the latter to have the same colors and similar designs. The other twelve will probably be more unique (with a nod to affiliation with shoulder patch only).
However the San Diego Gulls are parent owned and have their own identity with colors and jersey style.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
However the San Diego Gulls are parent owned and have their own identity with colors and jersey style.

Gulls jerseys are the exact same style, just change the gold with blue. Colors are almost the exact same, just change the gold with blue. In the grand scheme of things in terms of marketing and brand, it's pretty much the exact same thing. It's not like it's the Rochester Americans with the Buffalo Sabres, where they're parent owned but there are absolutely no brand similarities.

Gulls Watcher

Aug 1, 2016
Sun City, CA
Gulls jerseys are the exact same style, just change the gold with blue. Colors are almost the exact same, just change the gold with blue. In the grand scheme of things in terms of marketing and brand, it's pretty much the exact same thing. It's not like it's the Rochester Americans with the Buffalo Sabres, where they're parent owned but there are absolutely no brand similarities.
Actually they a quite different. Striping, colors and bottom all different.

Ducks-Gulls.jpg

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->