AHL Internship/Coach

ricke11

Jun 27, 2011
Hey everyone, not sure if this is the right thread to post in but I'm new here and I have a question regarding scouting and I know this is the place to get some advice.

As the same I'm sure applies to many of you, I have a dream of becoming a scout at the highest possible level. I find myself in a dilemma and would like to hear some input from you guys. I'm unsure whether or not pursuing a non hockey related internship for an AHL team would be more beneficial than coaching Rhode Island High School hockey.

I played hockey through out high school and I was an assistant coach for a RI high school hockey team for 2 years and I had to quit to focus on academics. I'm a 22 year old college senior. I am currently trying to volunteer my time to a local junior B team. My dillema lies in the fact that I have an oppurtunity to continue coaching at the high school level or pursuit an internship in a non hockey operations position (Broadcast, communications, or marketing). Due to conflicting schedules I would be unable to do both.

What do you guys think? Do you feel working for the AHL team in a non hockey related job to be more beneficial as a step in gaining a hockey operations position or would continuing to coach hockey in Rhode Island be a better avenue to take in eventually becoming a scout?

Of course distributing brochures won't help me gain valuable experience in one day becoming a scout but for those who maybe worked for an AHL team could attest to, possible valuable networks are developed which could benefit a scouting career.

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
Hey everyone, not sure if this is the right thread to post in but I'm new here and I have a question regarding scouting and I know this is the place to get some advice.

As the same I'm sure applies to many of you, I have a dream of becoming a scout at the highest possible level. I find myself in a dilemma and would like to hear some input from you guys. I'm unsure whether or not pursuing a non hockey related internship for an AHL team would be more beneficial than coaching Rhode Island High School hockey.

I played hockey through out high school and I was an assistant coach for a RI high school hockey team for 2 years and I had to quit to focus on academics. I'm a 22 year old college senior. I am currently trying to volunteer my time to a local junior B team. My dillema lies in the fact that I have an oppurtunity to continue coaching at the high school level or pursuit an internship in a non hockey operations position (Broadcast, communications, or marketing). Due to conflicting schedules I would be unable to do both.

What do you guys think? Do you feel working for the AHL team in a non hockey related job to be more beneficial as a step in gaining a hockey operations position or would continuing to coach hockey in Rhode Island be a better avenue to take in eventually becoming a scout?

Of course distributing brochures won't help me gain valuable experience in one day becoming a scout but for those who maybe worked for an AHL team could attest to, possible valuable networks are developed which could benefit a scouting career.

really depends if you want to work as a coach or in management.

if you want to coach you should do it where ever you get the chance in order to move your way up and get better at coaching.

if you want to work in the front office one day you should take the internship job. You would make some good connetions and learn what it is like on the ground level of a pro team. you would also be able to pick the brians of scout and gm etc..

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Yeah it depends. You say you want to be a scout...I think the coaching would likely be better for that goal down the line.

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Having worked in front offices, you won't get nearly the time you want with a coach or GM. Of course I never tried to spend time with them. You may find some social time with them depending on the organization, but if scouting is your goal, stay out of the front office and get involved in the game itself.

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
I coach HS hockey and work a full time job and I can tell you it is tuff. I am friendly with a few NHL, AHL, and lower Jr. League employees and I can tell you one thing hockey is their life. They leave their family behind from fall to spring and travel a lot in summer. It is not an easy life just note that first. With this understanding get involved with a local travel club, Ask to help. Tell them your goals and they will point you in the right direction. After that it is all based on talent just like the players. If you can get a team to do what you want with motivation or develop an eye for talent then you'll be on your way. Just go to seminars, read books, watch game tapes on fast hockey ect... Seeing talent at the NHL level is a lot easer than in the minor leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad