AHL Franchise Histories

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
How do the New Brunswick Hawks (Leafs/Hawks) become the Alpines other than home rink (when only 1 player was on both teams)?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
How do the New Brunswick Hawks (Leafs/Hawks) become the Alpines other than home rink (when only 1 player was on both teams)?
DIFFERENT FRANCHISE..... and different affiliation, which Alpines are you talking about, the one owned by Calgary THAT eventually became an Oiler affiliate, or the existing QMJHL franchise currently known as the Wildcats since 1996/97?

MLSE has always owned the franchise, originally known as the Hawks, currently known as the Marlies, Rants, AFTER bouncing it through St. Catherines, and Newmarket, AS THE Saints, returning it to the Maple Leafs moniker when it went to Mile One the first time in NL, and as the story goes, those logos remained up when the Leafs moved it to its present location in Ricoh Coliseum.... NL had the Fog Devils in between the two AHL Stints, and now the ECHL Growlers arriving there in the last 2 months

Last edited:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
DIFFERENT FRANCHISE..... and different affiliation, which Alpines are you talking about, the one owned by Calgary THAT eventually became an Oiler affiliate, or the existing QMJHL franchise currently known as the Wildcats since 1996/97?

MLSE has always owned the franchise, originally known as the Hawks, currently known as the Marlies, Rants, AFTER bouncing it through St. Catherines, and Newmarket, AS THE Saints, returning it to the Maple Leafs moniker when it went to Mile One the first time in NL, and as the story goes, those logos remained up when the Leafs moved it to its present location in Ricoh Coliseum.... NL had the Fog Devils in between the two AHL Stints, and now the ECHL Growlers arriving there in the last 2 months

The St. John's Maple Leafs played out of Memorial Stadium from 1991-2001, and Mile One from 2001-2005.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Different franchise was the point. Apart from the rink (Moncton Coliseum) the New Brunswick Hawks had nothing to do with the Moncton Alpines, which is why I found it odd that it seems to be listed as though there is a connection. I watched many games in the Coliseum, starting when it was the Leaf farm team and attending the games whenever all those other Saints/Leaf teams came to town.

Anyhoo, just didn't get why they were being connected. As I said, only one player played on both teams if memory serves and the NHL affiliation was completely different.

New Brunswick Hawks (1978–1982; became Moncton Alpines)
Moncton Alpines (1982–1984; renamed Moncton Golden Flames)
Moncton Golden Flames (1984–1987; folded)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Different franchise was the point. Apart from the rink (Moncton Coliseum) the New Brunswick Hawks had nothing to do with the Moncton Alpines, which is why I found it odd that it seems to be listed as though there is a connection. I watched many games in the Coliseum, starting when it was the Leaf farm team and attending the games whenever all those other Saints/Leaf teams came to town.

Anyhoo, just didn't get why they were being connected. As I said, only one player played on both teams if memory serves and the NHL affiliation was completely different.

New Brunswick Hawks (1978–1982; became Moncton Alpines)
Moncton Alpines (1982–1984; renamed Moncton Golden Flames)
Moncton Golden Flames (1984–1987; folded)

the Flames never technically folded though, which is another inaccuracy, because Calgary and Boston SPLIT that affiliation, and Boston moved to Portland in 1988 when that dormant franchise (originally the Braves franchise) was reactivated when New Jersey relocated to Utica...Calgary moved to Utah as the Golden Eagles, since the 2 leagues did not merge until near the end of the Saint John tenure in 2001, Rants, as previously mentioned in 2003.... the Flames still owned the franchise even while playing in the IHL, THEY just elected not to activate it, except for 1987-1993, Calgary has either owned it outright or split it with local ownership, no matter where the franchise has been.... that's why the original franchise granted to Philadelphia, in 1977, SOLD TO New Jersey in 1983, HAS the Flames connection it has.... fold is the wrong terminology, if another owner brings it back or acquires it.... in Essence it's all the same franchise

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
the Flames never technically folded though, which is another inaccuracy, because Calgary and Boston SPLIT that affiliation, and Boston moved to Portland in 1988 when that dormant franchise (originally the Braves franchise) was reactivated when New Jersey relocated to Utica...Calgary moved to Utah as the Golden Eagles, since the 2 leagues did not merge until near the end of the Saint John tenure in 2001, Rants, as previously mentioned in 2003.... the Flames still owned the franchise even while playing in the IHL, THEY just elected not to activate it, except for 1987-1993, Calgary has either owned it outright or split it with local ownership, no matter where the franchise has been.... that's why the original franchise granted to Philadelphia, in 1977, SOLD TO New Jersey in 1983, HAS the Flames connection it has.... fold is the wrong terminology, if another owner brings it back or acquires it.... in Essence it's all the same franchise

I'm not questioning the evolution of the Flames, I'm wondering how the Leafs and Hawks are being folded into the Flames? Again, other than playing in the same building, I don't understand what these teams have to do with one another?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm not questioning the evolution of the Flames, I'm wondering how the Leafs and Hawks are being folded into the Flames? Again, other than playing in the same building, I don't understand what these teams have to do with one another?

what do you mean.... they're two different franchises or three, Rants.... the Blackhawks left there, what you're failing to understand is there were 2 separate leagues until 2001, when the IHL merged or expanded or were bought out, however you want to phrase that.... MLSE as it is now known as, didn't exist back when the Hawks existed in Moncton, it was known as MLGL (Maple Leaf Gardens Limited).... the story went like this: MLGL also owned Cincinnati's Tigers in the origins of the CHL, a league that also no longer exists as its assets were bought by the ECHL.... The Blackhawks bailed on Moncton in 1982, for Springfield, hence why MLGL/MLSE has owned the franchise since.... you also asked about the Alpines didn't you that's where the Wildcats Q Team comes into play in 1996-97, once Edmonton moved into the Coliseum when MLGL/MLSE elected to move on to St. Catherines, then Newmarket, then St. John's NL, and then back to Ricoh Coliseum, where as the Marlies they have remained after succeeding Edmonton there as well...when the 2nd lockout of the NHL, prompted the Oilers to move their affiliate to then Rexall Place aka Northlands Coliseum, even after the AHL Master schedule release in 2004, the Oilers pulled that trick on their fellow members by doing that, all you have to do is research the franchise and it should tell you where a specific franchise has been or what has happened to it.

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Curious as to if this list is updated as of 2020-21?? I'm working on a timeline of all teams and want to double check all facts and fix my databases (both Word and Excel) to reflect this all more clearly...

Reactions: BlueRoyal14

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Curious as to if this list is updated as of 2020-21?? I'm working on a timeline of all teams and want to double check all facts and fix my databases (both Word and Excel) to reflect this all more clearly...
Nope. The first post in the thread says "Last edited: Sep 27, 2011". I see several that aren't up to date at a quick glance, but I can't give you the full history. There are other posters here who probably could, and one who would insist everyone else is wrong, while making up his own version of history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad