News Article: AHL expected to cancel remainder of season on Monday

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
If there will be an NHL season,that has to affect teams if injuries happen. The AHL players will be too out of shape to play on a moments notice.

What happens if 2-3 players on the Leafs, for instance,come down with Covid and they have to isolate for 14 days? The NHL has to increase roster sizes, somehow, to add at least 6-7 AHL players.

Last edited:
Reactions: taurine330

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
If there will be an NHL season,that has to affect teams if injuries happen. The AHL players will be too out of shape to play on a moments notice.

What happens if 2-3 players on the Leafs, for instance,come down with Covid and they have to isolate for 14 days? The NHL has to increase roster sizes, somehow, to add at least 6-7 AHL players.

There is no limit on roster size post-trade deadline, as long as they fit under the cap.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
There is no limit on roster size post-trade deadline, as long as they fit under the cap.

There is no limit post-trade deadline (but you can only call up 4 players from the AHL), however, yes the team must still be under the cap. There is no roster limit (as long as they are among your 50 contracts) or cap in the playoffs.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
There is no limit post-trade deadline (but you can only call up 4 players from the AHL), however, yes the team must still be under the cap. There is no roster limit (as long as they are among your 50 contracts) or cap in the playoffs.
Are they talking about no more regular season and just the playoffs? There is a very real possibility of multiple players coming down with Covid19 and having to be isolated for 2 weeks at a time. They'll need plenty of emergency AHL players, IN SHAPE and PRACTICING, just in case.

With the AHL season likely over, none of them will be in game shape if called up. Being in good condition is not enough. They have to be in GAME SHAPE---big difference! Players need to be in rhythm and cohesive within the system. You don't get that sitting on the couch.

Last edited:

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
For the sake of conversation...

If the NHL allows each team to add 6 of their AHL players to a "practice squad", (like the NFL has) which 6 Marlies would you select for the Leafs?

On the other hand, once the playoffs start, would all the Marlies continue to practice just in case of emergency call-ups? What if 5 players get covid19 and are out for 2 weeks?

Last edited:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Are they talking about no more regular season and just the playoffs? There is a very real possibility of multiple players coming down with Covid19 and having to be isolated for 2 weeks at a time. They'll need plenty of emergency AHL players, IN SHAPE and PRACTICING, just in case.

With the AHL season likely over, none of them will be in game shape if called up. Being in good condition is not enough. They have to be in GAME SHAPE---big difference! Players need to be in rhythm and cohesive within the system. You don't get that sitting on the couch.

As far as I know the talk is that the bottom 7 teams or so are not interested in coming back. My belief is the plan for some exhibition games and then playoffs. If that is the case I assume all teams would carry a decent number of spares. I would imagine enough to have a separate smaller practice with those extra players because the NHL lineup guys would not want to go through drills with a bunch of extra guys. But that is all pure speculation on my part.

To me the interesting thing will be what happens next season if AHL teams and junior teams/leagues can't get up off the ground without the revenue from fans.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

If the NHL allows each team to add 6 AHL players to a "practice roster", (like the NFL has) which 6 Marlies would you select?

Well because I don't think that there will be regular season, just exhibition and then playoffs, I think that normal rules will apply and any player who is on one of their 50 contracts for this season will be able to play/practice. I don't see why it wouldn't be that way. So I think that players like Robertson will be brought in for practicing with a separate group. Probably 10 skaters and 2 goalies. Maybe more.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

If the NHL allows each team to add 6 of their AHL players to a "practice squad", (like the NFL has) which 6 Marlies would you select for the Leafs?

On the other hand, once the playoffs start, would all the Marlies continue to practice just in case of emergency call-ups? What if 5 players get covid19 and are out for 2 weeks?

6 is a lot!

Liljegren
Korshkov
Brooks
Agostino
Bracco
Gravel

Reactions: Myopic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad