AHL biz meetings 2022

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Nice. Hope that all levels of hockey will take this into consideration.

Haven't see agenda for what will be discussed, but usually a time for all the off ice stuff to be addressed.

New graphics for displays. New merchandise possibilities. New vendors for this or that.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Nice. Hope that all levels of hockey will take this into consideration.

Doubtful. The minor leagues' continues existence relies upon the exploitation of young labor working 100 hour weeks for $25K salaries because "they're living their dream!" You can only have so little time to rest and recuperate before it affects your mental health. You can only be driven so hard before it affects your mental health. You think the ECHL, SPHL or the Fed are going to care about this? Laughable.

soundtigersfan

Feb 28, 2007
CT
Doubtful. The minor leagues' continues existence relies upon the exploitation of young labor working 100 hour weeks for $25K salaries because "they're living their dream!" You can only have so little time to rest and recuperate before it affects your mental health. You can only be driven so hard before it affects your mental health. You think the ECHL, SPHL or the Fed are going to care about this? Laughable.
I worked for an AHL franchise for a while to start my career, and this is 100% spot-on. It's the reason I left the sports industry altogether. I once worked 28 days straight without a day off, all for a poverty level salary. I had to go into debt just to buy suits for gamedays and lived by running up a credit card bill until I left and was able to get my budget under control. It's a fun industry for sure with some great comradery, but I saw more senior level people than me missing their kids' own sporting events due to gameday preparation and decided it wasn't the career trajectory or life I wanted for myself.

The bigger challenge is how to fix it. Most minor league teams lose money despite offering a quality product at lower prices than the major leagues, and I honestly don't see a path to compensate people fairly for the hours being put in given the amount of revenue being generated. Without subsidies from the major leagues or local millionaires willing to run franchises as a hobby while burning through cash, many franchises simply would not be able to exist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad