AHL announces 2018-19 divisional alignment

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Did they mention if playoffs are going to be divisional now instead of through the conference? That would make more sense for playoff travel (and no longer having to track everything through points percentage).

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Did they mention if playoffs are going to be divisional now instead of through the conference? That would make more sense for playoff travel (and no longer having to track everything through points percentage).

They already are divisional.

Reactions: Alberta

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Pretty much what we figured would happen. Excited to see Cleveland in Binghamton next year. Not often we get new opponents on the schedule here.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Note the lone empty slot in the Pacific. ;)

Of course it’ll depend on where the 32nd AHL team ends up.

well there's a gap in the PNW so somewhere along there. There is really only one ideal location and that's Boise and promote the stealheads to AHL.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I would assume Colorado will be playing the shorter schedule, so at least every team in the same division will have the same number of games. Points percentage will only be needed for seeding in the western conference championship and maybe the Calder cup final. (And for the regular season award for best record).

For Cleveland, aside from replacing Manitoba with Laval (which is a much shorter trip), the rest of the bus trips are probably a wash for them. I could see them making a ten day to two week trip through Rockford, Chicago and Milwaukee, and each of those teams visiting Cleveland, with the Texas teams playing extra games against each other to make up the difference, and reduce the travel a bit.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
well there's a gap in the PNW so somewhere along there. There is really only one ideal location and that's Boise and promote the stealheads to AHL.
Boise is still 500 miles from Seattle. If you are going to have to fly your players between the AHL and NHL teams anyway, why not put the team in California so it is closer to the other divisional foes, and reduce travel time between games? Fresno, Long Beach, or Sacramento would all have advantages over Boise.

Reactions: Bim Jenning

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Wouldn't be surprised if they move into WHL markets in the area. There's ones in the Seattle metro area, with one in Seattle itself (Winnipeg, San Jose both have NHL & AHL teams in the same arena) and another in Everett that both draw well. Portland, Spokane, and Tri-City are all in driving distance also.

Well aware none of them may want to jump up from major junior to pro, but WHL has been getting hit with lawsuits and may have to go to full professional status anyways and pay their players minimum wage anyways.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The only way I see ahl hockey in the north west is for the Canucks and Seattle to put the teams in their own city like the Leafs, Sharks and Jets have done.....

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The only way I see ahl hockey in the north west is for the Canucks and Seattle to put the teams in their own city like the Leafs, Sharks and Jets have done.....

Or maybe just in their general metro area. Tacoma has an arena ready to roll for Seattle, as does Abbottsford* for Vancouver. That said, it seemed that Vegas realized jumping straight in with an AHL team was an excessive burden with getting their NHL team off the ground as well. That's reasonable, and I imagine Seattle might agree, so it may be more likely that the expansion AHL team goes to an already established NHL team like it did this year.

*(hi Hutch, yes, I know this was done by Calgary already, please don't write a diatribe about how it was originally Omaha and is now Stockton).

Reactions: go comets

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ

Below is how many times the Devils will host each team at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena:
Syracuse – 5
Rochester – 5
Utica – 4
Toronto – 3
Belleville – 3
Laval – 3
Cleveland – 2
Springfield – 2
Hartford – 2
Lehigh Valley – 2
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton – 2
Charlotte – 2
Providence – 1
Bridgeport – 1
Hershey – 1

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
As for Seattle... Everett has only been filling half their arena for WHL Championship Series games this week. The combination of the building being primo (moreso compared to Tacoma, BTW) and the Silvertips being, shall we say, chaseable...

...tells me that's Seattle's prime option.

Moreover (and I went over this on the BoH Seattle thread), Boise has too much of an independent streak to host an AHL team. AHL demands development over performance, and Boise has a history of demanding a W/L product, so to speak.

There are no good situations in California where Seattle can place an AHL team... the good ones are taken.

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
Cleveland posted their matrix today. No Hartford/Springfield/Providence/Bridgeport, but they still play Chicago/Grand Rapids/Milwaukee/Rockford from the West. So sick of those teams, thankfully only twice a year do they come in. I wish that they would have dropped them and played the entire Eastern Conference, but travel wise this does make sense.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Cleveland posted their matrix today. No Hartford/Springfield/Providence/Bridgeport, but they still play Chicago/Grand Rapids/Milwaukee/Rockford from the West. So sick of those teams, thankfully only twice a year do they come in. I wish that they would have dropped them and played the entire Eastern Conference, but travel wise this does make sense.

Trust me, the Admirals could do without a 7 hour bus ride to Cleveland. They usually end up flat and tired and on the losing end.

If you got your wish, we would have even less variety in the schedule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad